Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2022 10:04:45 AM EDT
I'm looking for a set of vise jaws or a barrel clamp to install/remove muzzle devices... I've done a bit of searching on amazon and have pretty much just found the wheeler barrel clamp and generic plastic vise jaws. The wheeler seems like it is what I am looking for but  has .850", .66", and .53" openings. I've got a .740 diameter barrel with a rocksetted on brake so I wasn't sure how well the wheeler device would work given some of the questionable feedback I've seen on it. Has anyone tried the generic plastic vise jaws on a barrel? Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 12:10:40 AM EDT
[#1]
All it takes is a couple of pieces of hardwood with a V notch cut in each.  I use a couple of clamps but you can put them in a vice as well.  Baking soda and flour for rosin.

Link Posted: 12/23/2021 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
https://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/blk-4-universal-v-groove-vise-blocks

Edit: For a rocksett muzzle device, you might have to soak it in water over night.  Had one that was impossible to remove without soaking.
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Edit: For a rocksett muzzle device, you might have to soak it in water over night.  Had one that was impossible to remove without soaking.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Universal fit for any 4 wide vise (fits larger vise as well)
V Groove fits large or small diameter barrels or round stock
NO-M.A.R polymer soft yet strong, gentle on polished metal
Good for light to medium duty barrel holding chores
Resists a Small amount of rotational Force
CNC machined excellent fit and finish
Link Posted: 12/23/2021 2:03:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Universal fit for any 4 wide vise (fits larger vise as well)
V Groove fits large or small diameter barrels or round stock
NO-M.A.R polymer soft yet strong, gentle on polished metal
Good for light to medium duty barrel holding chores
Resists a Small amount of rotational Force
CNC machined excellent fit and finish

I see that caveat they post, but I have used them to remove some seriously stuck flash hiders.  They work well, I have had them for years
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 10:35:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I see that caveat they post, but I have used them to remove some seriously stuck flash hiders.  They work well, I have had them for years
View Quote

So have I, works fine.  The Wheeler aluminum with rubber inserts works better though.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

So have I, works fine.  The Wheeler aluminum with rubber inserts works better though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will have to check those out, Wheeler makes great stuff
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

In the past 20 years, I have bought 4 Wheeler items, and they all sucked.
Glad you are having better luck.

I bought aluminum jaws from Brownell's, and they have done everything I've asked of them.
If I clamp on a blued, or black barrel, I just use a couple layers of paper. Never hurt the finish.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I bought aluminum jaws from Brownell's, and they have done everything I've asked of them.
If I clamp on a blued, or black barrel, I just use a couple layers of paper. Never hurt the finish.
View Quote

I have a set of them too. Works perfect.

B
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried wood blocks, fancy aluminum blocks with inserts, leather with rosin, and on one of mine had to dremel it off.

Lots of carbon has kinda welded it.

DSC_5812 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:41:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I tried wood blocks, fancy aluminum blocks with inserts, leather with rosin, and on one of mine had to dremel it off.

Lots of carbon has kinda welded it.

https://live.staticflickr.com/1593/24178422889_6bc7ae5d86_b.jpgDSC_5812 by FredMan, on Flickr
View Quote

Your Dremel skills are exquisite sir.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL, well I will remember that on the jaws!  I am still using the no-mar with success
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 10:11:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I prefer a 'reaction rod' for muzzle device work.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:23:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I prefer a 'reaction rod' for muzzle device work.
View Quote

Actually a poor choice for removing muzzle devices unless it has the rib on top a la the MI version.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually a poor choice for removing muzzle devices unless it has the rib on top a la the MI version.
View Quote

Nah.  Been using a geissele super for years without issue.  

If you have something over torqued or unknown the potential is there with other variants, sure.

Proper use goes a long way.  ymmv
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I have yet to need to soak anything with Rocksett and remove them pretty often....I fully expect to run into a problem now lol.

I have a set of aluminum ones that hold strong but cannot find where I bought them. I have had them for years.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

It only takes one time with a stuck MD and an undertorqued extension, or soft index pin.  It is always best to clamp the barrel for MD work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 8:26:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

I think I got these from Amazon. I’ve removed and installed a few muzzle devices. For the price I think they’re worth having. I often clamp a rifle by the hand guard for scope installation type things with no worry of scratching it up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:29:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you have something over torqued or unknown the potential is there with other variants, sure.

Proper use goes a long way.  ymmv
View Quote

Proper procedure is to clamp the bbl for muzzle devices.
Link Posted: 1/6/2022 2:32:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451123/image_jpg-2230251.JPG

I think I got these from Amazon. I've removed and installed a few muzzle devices. For the price I think they're worth having. I often clamp a rifle by the hand guard for scope installation type things with no worry of scratching it up.
View Quote
I like that. My aluminum one leaves marks but it comes off pretty easy.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/451123/image_jpg-2230251.JPG

I think I got these from Amazon. I've removed and installed a few muzzle devices. For the price I think they're worth having. I often clamp a rifle by the hand guard for scope installation type things with no worry of scratching it up.
Have a set of yellow ones like that, didn't work well for me for muzzle work.  Possibly due to the yellow being a bit softer as I know those are made in different densities.  Needless to say I use them all time for holding all sorts of things.
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 7:25:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Have a set of yellow ones like that, didn't work well for me for muzzle work.  Possibly due to the yellow being a bit softer as I know those are made in different densities.  Needless to say I use them all time for holding all sorts of things.
View Quote

Mine are a little softer than I’d like them to be, too. I still use them more often than I use the vise without them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top