Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/6/2024 10:27:50 PM EDT
I am in the process of building a 6.5mm Grendel.  I purchased all Odin Works components.  Barrel, Handguard/Barrel Nut, Upper, gas tube.

With the Ragna handguard, it came with a vial of Vibra-tite.  It says to apply to the barrel nut for installation.  I never done this before I either apply Permatex Anti-seize or Aeroshell.  

What are experiences using vibra-tite on the barrel installation.  I am getting read to season the barrel nut, not sure about using a thread locker on the barrel threads.  

Recommended torque on the barrel nut is 50lbs.  While it is Odin Works product, and recommedation I would rather torque it 50 lbs with Aeroshell.  

I guess I should follow the manufacturer recommendation being they included Vibra-tite with the product.

Thanks,
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnGA] [#1]
Vibratite goes between a custom barrel nut and the Handguard. Just like the old MI handguards. Not between the upper and barrel nut.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, I like vibra-tite. So much so that I bought a small couple oz container of it which was pricey.  Ensured it was sealed up good and when I went to use it a month or 2 later it was so hard that it was unusable.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:52:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Be careful using antiseize with aluminum - many of them contain graphite.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:56:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I read the instructions again.  They are confusing.  I only have a barrelnut and a fore end but no fore end adapter.  I will send Odin Works, they are very responsive to see what is up with the Vibra-Tite.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Aeroshell for the barrel nut. You’re putting steel and aluminum together. Without the aeroshell, they will react to each other and seize up badly.

Vibratite is a nonaerobic thread lock, meaning it dries in the absence of air. That’s great and all, but it’s not the right tool for the barrel nut.

The other very important thing about aeroshell is that it allows the threads to glide across each other and for you to accurately torque them down without galling/giving false readings.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:34:05 AM EDT
[#6]
There are two different things in the Odin site help section about the rail and vibra tite.

Vibra tite makes more than one type of thread locker and they are not the same or all an anerobic type. I would check the type I had and its instructions along with any warnings if I chose to use it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:46:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
Aeroshell for the barrel nut. You’re putting steel and aluminum together. Without the aeroshell, they will react to each other and seize up badly.

View Quote

Any quality EP Moly works fine.

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:52:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Aeroshell is pretty cheap and the small container will do alot of rifles.

I just stick with aeroshell because it works.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I am reading the instructions for the Ragna and R2 forend install:

1. Remove previously install barrel, ect.

2. Apply Vibra-Tite to the threads of the upper receiver, as per the Vibra-Tite instructions.

3. Slide the barrel nut over the barrel, and screw to the upper receiver.

4. Torque the barrel nut to 50 ft lbs.

5. Install gas system...

6. Install forend over barrel nut up to the upper receiver and tighten the three clamp screws finger tight.

7. Tighten the two set screws on both sides of the forend.

8. Finish tightening the three clamp screws.  

However again Odin Works customer service is very responsive.  I am sending an email off to their support as we speak.  I will get the official reply and respond back here.  I kinda believe they know what they are doing with their product.  But I like the standard set way of doing a barrel install
with Aeroshell and leave threadlocker for smaller parts.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I sent the email off to Odin Works.  Good People.

Researching this the best I could I found these similar posts about Odin Works, Vibra-Tite

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/vibra-tite-barrel-nut-ar-15.7064948/

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum/-6-5-grendel-discussion-forums/-6-5-grendel-build-it-yourself-custom-builds/22904-applied-vc3-vibra-tite-on-a-barrel-extension

Looks like the jury is out of Vibra-Tite.  I will wait for the official response from Odin Works.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:00:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ajn1963:
I sent the email off to Odin Works.  Good People.

Researching this the best I could I found these similar posts about Odin Works, Vibra-Tite

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/vibra-tite-barrel-nut-ar-15.7064948/

https://www.65grendel.com/forum/forum/-6-5-grendel-discussion-forums/-6-5-grendel-build-it-yourself-custom-builds/22904-applied-vc3-vibra-tite-on-a-barrel-extension

Looks like the jury is out of Vibra-Tite.  I will wait for the official response from Odin Works.
View Quote

The site help articles, the instructions, and the inclusion of the product were not official enough? What kind of reply do you expect?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I got response from Odin Works.  

They said the Vibra-Tight is their choice, but will require heat to remove.  They said if I felt confident using Aeroshell on the threads they agree with it.  I went ahead with a typical install with Aeroshell.

All is good.  Thanks for the inputs.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top