Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2023 10:16:15 PM EDT
https://www.valhallatactical.com/df-led/

Anyone ever use one of these? Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 3:44:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested as well. Been looking at putting together a light with one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 1:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
$100 for a Chinese light head? Even on the cheap end you’re looking at what, another $200 to complete the body and switches. Why not get a better performing US made light. ETA: They sell complete lights with no remote switch for $200. Still.

There’s just no savings ratio here. A Chinese reputable Aimpoint clone costs $150 compared to $600. A Chinese prism sight is $250 compared to a $1000 ACOG. Just doesn’t seem worth it to me when it comes to the minimal cost difference in lighting.

If it was $100 like a Streamlight I could see it. But the gap is too small on these recent Chinese start ups.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
$100 for a Chinese light head? Even on the cheap end you’re looking at what, another $200 to complete the body and switches. Why not get a better performing US made light. ETA: They sell complete lights with no remote switch for $200. Still.

There’s just no savings ratio here. A Chinese reputable Aimpoint clone costs $150 compared to $600. A Chinese prism sight is $250 compared to a $1000 ACOG. Just doesn’t seem worth it to me when it comes to the minimal cost difference in lighting.

If it was $100 like a Streamlight I could see it. But the gap is too small on these recent Chinese start ups.
View Quote

I'm just looking at the head by itself as a potential upgrade for my SF M600. Obviously Malkoff is a more proven option, but this seemed to be a good alternative. Have you used this brand yourself, or are you just going off the "fact" that it's allegedly Chinese garbage?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ive got one that I can compare to a SF DF head.

I haven’t used them in a few months, but let me get home and refresh my self tonight on them. I’ll  compare the 2 heads on 18650 and 18350 batteries and I’ll get you my thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:49:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm just looking at the head by itself as a potential upgrade for my SF M600. Obviously Malkoff is a more proven option, but this seemed to be a good alternative. Have you used this brand yourself, or are you just going off the "fact" that it's allegedly Chinese garbage?
View Quote

Not allegedly. They are Chinese. I have not used it but I offered my opinion. To me, it’s a poor value. Saving $500 on a red dot I can understand, but I wouldn’t consider paying a few dollars short of US made prices for a Chinese light as advisable. As with all things your opinion may vary, and sorry my answer wasn’t satisfactory to you.

I’d be buying a Modlite head for $200.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not allegedly. They are Chinese. I have not used it but I offered my opinion. To me, it’s a poor value. Saving $500 on a red dot I can understand, but I wouldn’t consider paying a few dollars short of US made prices for a Chinese light as advisable. As with all things your opinion may vary, and sorry my answer wasn’t satisfactory to you.

View Quote

Not contesting the country of manufacturing; just the garbage part. I have zero problem dropping the extra $$ on a different part (Malkoff, etc) if there's a significant difference in QC and performance. My goal here is to perform my due diligence by exploring multiple options before making a decision.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Absolutely no one should give those dicks at modlite a penny.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:23:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry I forgot about this thread, but I was able to refresh myself on the Surefire DF head and the Valhalla DF head. Sorry I wasn’t able to get any pics since it was just me.

The Surefire head has more of a yellow tint to it and definitely has more flood, but the Valhalla head has a far more white-light look to it. It doesn’t have the same flood as the Surefire, but does have more throw while still having decent flood. I could actually see my neighbor’s house about 740ish yds away with the Valhalla head. With the SF head, if I didn’t know it was already there, I probably wouldn’t see it. And so far, zero problems from being on a rifle while shooting that I’ve noticed.

And ignore the troll in the thread. It’s honestly worth clicking him onto your list. You won’t miss anything from him.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Sorry I forgot about this thread, but I was able to refresh myself on the Surefire DF head and the Valhalla DF head. Sorry I wasn’t able to get any pics since it was just me.

The Surefire head has more of a yellow tint to it and definitely has more flood, but the Valhalla head has a far more white-light look to it. It doesn’t have the same flood as the Surefire, but does have more throw while still having decent flood. I could actually see my neighbor’s house about 740ish yds away with the Valhalla head. With the SF head, if I didn’t know it was already there, I probably wouldn’t see it. And so far, zero problems from being on a rifle while shooting that I’ve noticed.

And ignore the troll in the thread. It’s honestly worth clicking him onto your list. You won’t miss anything from him.
View Quote

Awesome info, thanks! I think for $90 it is worth a try. More throw vs flood is what I'm looking for anyways on my 14.5" GPR w/ the TA01 ACOG
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Awesome info, thanks! I think for $90 it is worth a try. More throw vs flood is what I'm looking for anyways on my 14.5" GPR w/ the TA01 ACOG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here on flood vs throw. Since I moved out of the city and onto some decent acreage, I’m slowly converting lights to more throw. Plus, I figured if it didn’t do well as a weapon light, I’d just order a handheld body for it and use it as an EDC light.
Link Posted: 4/9/2023 2:05:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Kind of my thoughts. My HD/CQB setup is a 8.5" .300 BO PDW w/ a TLR1 mounted at 12, or an 11.5" 5.56 with a M300 Scout. Both of those have good flood/spill for indoors.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’ve been called a lot of things before in my years here but troll isn’t a common one.

A lot of people don’t know Valhalla is Chinese made. I would think that would matter to some, especially at nearly US made prices. Not trolling, just putting the info out there. I surely wouldn’t poke fun at anyone running their stuff, I’d just encourage weighing options. To me, that’s a lot of coin for a Chinese made light.

Apologies if that’s bad etiquette.
Link Posted: 4/10/2023 4:13:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Outside of Malkoff or Modlite, are there any other US companies that sell light heads separately with this kind of performance? Don't see Surefire selling their Turbo heads anytime soon or having a competitor to the PLHv2 or the REIN lights, and while I like Malkoff, the E2XTL (and the Modlite OKW/Surefire Turbo heads by extension) don't offer as much flood as I'd like for the gun I'm putting the light together for.

I've had piss-poor experiences with Modlite, and they always seem to find themselves in messes of their own making, so I'm quite averse to giving them any of my money at this time.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I put a Mod.1 on order to complete an Arisaka 18650 build for my TP9-N. Gonna see how it fairs
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I put a Mod.1 on order to complete an Arisaka 18650 build for my TP9-N. Gonna see how it fairs
View Quote

any updates? Just got a Surefire scout turbo and would like more flood.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 1:48:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

any updates? Just got a Surefire scout turbo and would like more flood.
View Quote

Should be arriving tomorrow in the mail, I'll have an update then. I can't guarantee it'll be at maximum power due to using an ST-07 switch, but I imagine it'll still be more than usable.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Got it in and the sun has set so I did a little bit of home and field testing. It has a small hotspot, but it is punchy. Smaller than my Fenix UC35 v.2's hotspot, but has about the same amount of flood though the flood is definitely brighter on the Valhalla too. That's the only direct comparison I can manage at this time.

Going from memory, it definitely punches as far as the REIN 1.0 does, maybe a little more due to the more concentrated hotspot. I think the flood is about the same, though the colder color to the light gives it a brighter look.

Definitely punchier than the Streamlight HL-X, hotspot is definitely smaller on the Valhalla by comparison.

Gonna run a few more tests, maybe see how well it can punch through the high beams on my truck.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:09:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I’ve been called a lot of things before in my years here but troll isn’t a common one.

A lot of people don’t know Valhalla is Chinese made. I would think that would matter to some, especially at nearly US made prices. Not trolling, just putting the info out there. I surely wouldn’t poke fun at anyone running their stuff, I’d just encourage weighing options. To me, that’s a lot of coin for a Chinese made light.

Apologies if that’s bad etiquette.
View Quote

Yup. The majority of their products are from China, not just the light head.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Yup. The majority of their products are from China, not just the light head.
View Quote

Their light head description says “Imported” and later makes reference to how Chinese light suppliers measure their lights.

ETA: Doh, I misread the above as... The majority of their products are from China, just not the light head. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 7:41:19 AM EDT
[#20]
That’s how you say “made in China” without actually saying it. Trust me. In terms of performance, it’s very bright with decent throw. The HRT head is more powerful though if you do a side by side comparison.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top