Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2021 5:13:52 PM EDT
I posted this question in another thread and it didn’t get any responses.  So I am reposting here.  Hopefully this thread will deliver — 1/9, carbine gas, unlined barrel......  

Realistically how susceptible are unlined steel barrels to rust?

I have a Colt 16” 1/9 carbine length HBAR barrel that Adco turned to medium profile (at the same time it was threaded for a FS).  It is unlined but does have a chrome chamber. And if it is ever out in inclement weather the bore will be cleaned.  It is old school 1/9 and carbine gas.

I have considered swapping it out for something chrome lined, 1/7, mid length.

But it is a really accurate barrel, even with Black Hills 68 grain (I have not tried it with SMK 77 grain but should, that would be interesting).  And the medium contour was really nicely done.

I don’t need to chase cool guy specs, but rust is the only thing I would be concerned about. So realistically what conditions and lack of maintenance would it take to hurt an unlined barrel?  Are we talking days in a swamp, or something as simple as getting wet and not cleaned that night?

I maintain my stuff, I am just looking for where the limits are.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd be more concerned with heat damage rather than corrosion.

Keep it lubed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:37:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm, unlined steel barrel, like every M70, M700, M98, M1 .... ever made?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you want it to do? Long-term hunting, SHTF? Precision?

I've got a cheapy 1/9, non-CL, 4140 gun show HB that still groups decently after many, many FA mag dumps. I occasionally run an oily patch down the barrel.

If I somehow used corrosive ammo I'd take better care of it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:54:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you want it to do? Long-term hunting, SHTF? Precision?

I've got a cheapy 1/9, non-CL, 4140 gun show HB that still groups decently after many, many FA mag dumps. I occasionally run an oily patch down the barrel.

If I somehow used corrosive ammo I'd take better care of it.
View Quote

This rifle is used little.

I am asking if it were a used and abused AR, under what conditions would one start to see problems from the unlined bore.

I take it you have run it hard and put it up wet so go speak. Just curious what level of moisture exposure will cause a problem.

But honestly once moisture gets down the bore there are likely potential issues with the BCG etc. too.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah I know that many other rifles have unlined bore but I don’t have any experience with them, hence the question.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not like there is Corrosive 5.56 ammo out there.

Just CLEAN it like you would any other Center Fire Rifle after shooting or if used in wet weather, and you will be fine.

Bet the barrel will out last your ammo fort long before you wear it out.

A plain barrel steel - (unplated or non-nitrided) barrel will be perfectly fine for almost any "sporting" use (if not doing repeated full auto mag dumps of 600 rounds continuously at the Taliban until the barrel glows and the gas tube melts (IraqVet8888 meltdown) with just these easy simple steps.

Get a BoreSnake & some CLP.

When done for the day, spray / dribble some CLP down bore.    Insert Boresnake from the chamber and pull through to muzzle.  Repeat a 2nd time and you should be great to go 87% of the time.   If you want to kick that up to 99%, then you may need to make three passes.   Super easy, Super fast, Super great way to keep your rifle in top shape after a day at the range or field.

If you get a different caliber hunting rifle, or handgun, then get a boresnake (or equivalent Viper or X Y or Z brand) and easy peasy Clean!

Hope this helps!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This rifle is used little.

I am asking if it were a used and abused AR, under what conditions would one start to see problems from the unlined bore.

I take it you have run it hard and put it up wet so go speak. Just curious what level of moisture exposure will cause a problem.

But honestly once moisture gets down the bore there are likely potential issues with the BCG etc. too.
View Quote

Run patches or a boresnake down the barrel to clean it.

Look for pits in the rifling & bore.   Those are where rust formed.   If you don't see pits (noticable to the eye as dark frosty spots) then good.

Shoot it.  Look at the Target.  If you see little round 5.56 holes it is not keyholing.  If you see oblong side of a bullet shaped holes, then your barrel is BAD...

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:18:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  

OP: Just about all hunting and general sporting rifles on the planet for time immemorial and many non-contemporary military small arms have barrels made from "ordinary" barrel steel (4140 or comparable).  They are not chrome lined.  Pistol barrels are not chrome lined. I have 100 year old rifles that are not chrome lined and they have bright bores.

Chrome lined ARs are that way primarily to prevent barrel throat and gas port erosion from hot gasses from full auto or extremely high continuous rate of fire.

Just don't do rapid mag dumps.  Keep the bore lightly oiled (pass a patch through with a few drops of oil) when putting it away.  I live in a coastal area near salt water.  I'm not having any bore rust issues in my 4140 barrels.

And, I'm not surprised that OP's barrel is very accurate.  Because chrome lining is a plating, and can be unevenly applied, it never aids accuracy and can degrade it.  You're not likely to see chrome lined rifle barrels on match rifles unless class rules require it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:29:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's not like there is Corrosive 5.56 ammo out there.

Just CLEAN it like you would any other Center Fire Rifle after shooting or if used in wet weather, and you will be fine.

Bet the barrel will out last your ammo fort long before you wear it out.

A plain barrel steel - (unplated or non-nitrided) barrel will be perfectly fine for almost any "sporting" use (if not doing repeated full auto mag dumps of 600 rounds continuously at the Taliban until the barrel glows and the gas tube melts (IraqVet8888 meltdown) with just these easy simple steps.

Get a BoreSnake & some CLP.

When done for the day, spray / dribble some CLP down bore.    Insert Boresnake from the chamber and pull through to muzzle.  Repeat a 2nd time and you should be great to go 87% of the time.   If you want to kick that up to 99%, then you may need to make three passes.   Super easy, Super fast, Super great way to keep your rifle in top shape after a day at the range or field.

If you get a different caliber hunting rifle, or handgun, then get a boresnake (or equivalent Viper or X Y or Z brand) and easy peasy Clean!

Hope this helps!

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Oh yeah boresnakes have been a part of my cleaning routine.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This.  

OP: Just about all hunting and general sporting rifles on the planet for time immemorial and many non-contemporary military small arms have barrels made from "ordinary" barrel steel (4140 or comparable).  They are not chrome lined.  Pistol barrels are not chrome lined. I have 100 year old rifles that are not chrome lined and they have bright bores.

Chrome lined ARs are that way primarily to prevent barrel throat and gas port erosion from hot gasses from full auto or extremely high continuous rate of fire.

Just don't do rapid mag dumps.  Keep the bore lightly oiled (pass a patch through with a few drops of oil) when putting it away.  I live in a coastal area near salt water.  I'm not having any bore rust issues in my 4140 barrels.

And, I'm not surprised that OP's barrel is very accurate.  Because chrome lining is a plating, and can be unevenly applied, it never aids accuracy and can degrade it.  You're not likely to see chrome lined rifle barrels on match rifles unless class rules require it.
View Quote

Thanks!  Guess using pistols as a gauge I won’t worry about it. I certainly have never given it a thought with pistols and have never had a problem.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Run patches or a boresnake down the barrel to clean it.

Look for pits in the rifling & bore.   Those are where rust formed.   If you don't see pits (noticable to the eye as dark frosty spots) then good.

Shoot it.  Look at the Target.  If you see little round 5.56 holes it is not keyholing.  If you see oblong side of a bullet shaped holes, then your barrel is BAD...

https://billstclair.com/weaponsman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/5.45-keyholing-from-ARFCOM-e1384867915777.jpg
View Quote

A bit off topic, but there are other reasons for keyholing besides a shot out barrel.  Twist. Try shooting long bullets like 77 SMK or Barnes 70 grain all copper TSX in a 1:9 and you'll likely keyhole those bullets sideways at 100 yards, or at least that happens in my 16" 1:9.  Twist is too slow to stabilize them.  But it shoots 55 and 62 grain bullets like a laser.

OP did offer that his unlined barrel is quite accurate up to BH 68s.  My guess is that it would keyhole the 77s, though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:13:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The vast majority of barrels on the planet are unlined and last just fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I didn't know Colt ever made any ARs without chrome lined barrels.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

A bit off topic, but there are other reasons for keyholing besides a shot out barrel.  Twist. Try shooting long bullets like 77 SMK or Barnes 70 grain all copper TSX in a 1:9 and you'll likely keyhole those bullets sideways at 100 yards, or at least that happens in my 16" 1:9.  Twist is too slow to stabilize them.  But it shoots 55 and 62 grain bullets like a laser.

OP did offer that his unlined barrel is quite accurate up to BH 68s.  My guess is that it would keyhole the 77s, though.
View Quote

Being Unlined or Nitrided or Chromelined would not matter must if the twist wasn't right to stabilize the bullet.  The illustration was to mainly to show what normal Vs. Keyholed bullet holes looked like.  

Most folks are shooting 55 grain ball (M193 type) or 62 grain ball , both of which a 1/9 twist would be perfect for.  But in this great ammunition drought, it may be that all O.P. has is some super heavy 5.56 so you do have a perfectly valid point.  Thank You for reminding us that best accuracy comes when we Match the twist to the load.  1/12 is 55 grain city.  But for 1/9 it is a pretty sweet spot for accuracy for 55 to 69 grain loads.  to go heavier, I'd want to go faster twist.

Also - O.P.  If you have a CHROME CHAMBER, odds are pretty high you have a Chrome bore too.   ADCO may have removed the markings when they reprofiled down that HBAR.

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, the barrel likes BH 68.  In fact I shot it next to a "super premium" (actually really nice) rifle with a SS barrel several years ago and my turned down nothing fancy Colt barrel equaled the groups of that premium rifle.

So everyone is right, Colt makes really nice barrels.

That is one of the reasons I am not going with the "cool guy" specs and replacing it.  I have a known system (factory Colt rifle) that has been very accurate and reliable.  Given a preference, I would probably opt for a midlength gas and 1/7 or 1/8, but those would make a negligible difference in how the rifle handles for my needs.

I am going to freshen up the rifle by replacing the 13" LaRue quad rail with a 15" BCM MLOK rail.  But the rifle came with plastic carbine handguards and an A2 stock, so it hasn't been factory original for some time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#16]
When you decide you want to get rid of the 13" LaRue Picatinny Rail - LMK!  

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:18:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Being Unlined or Nitrided or Chromelined would not matter must if the twist wasn't right to stabilize the bullet.  The illustration was to mainly to show what normal Vs. Keyholed bullet holes looked like.  

Most folks are shooting 55 grain ball (M193 type) or 62 grain ball , both of which a 1/9 twist would be perfect for.  But in this great ammunition drought, it may be that all O.P. has is some super heavy 5.56 so you do have a perfectly valid point.  Thank You for reminding us that best accuracy comes when we Match the twist to the load.  1/12 is 55 grain city.  But for 1/9 it is a pretty sweet spot for accuracy for 55 to 69 grain loads.  to go heavier, I'd want to go faster twist.

Also - O.P.  If you have a CHROME CHAMBER, odds are pretty high you have a Chrome bore too.   ADCO may have removed the markings when they reprofiled down that HBAR.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I used this for hunting for a few years and used 62 grain Federal Fusion which was very effective.

I do not have a pile of SMK 77, and if I did I have 1/7 rifles to shoot it out of.

And RE: possibility that this is fully chrome lined....

I found these spec's online for the MT6731:

MATCH TARGET COMPETITION HBAR II

Colt Part Number: MT6731

Specifications and features:
Colt Match Target Competition HBAR II semi-automatic carbine
.223 Remington/5.56x45mm NATO
16.1" heavy barrel
1:9" RH twist with six rifiling grooves
Target crown
9 round magazine
Gas operated, multi-lug rotary locking bolt
Two-piece, plastic handguards
A2 buttstock
Flat top A3 upper receiver with removable carry handle and rear sight
35" overall length
7.3 lbs unloaded

I saw a comment that said "generally all have chromed lined chambers but not barrels."

So I checked my barrel.  ADCO did a great job with the reprofile and threading -- it looks factory.  They did leave the markings, which are:

C MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 HBAR

When I look down the bore, it looks shiny like it could be chrome.

I was always under the impression from the Colt specs that it had a chrome chamber but unlined bore.

Off to do more research....  I would be pleasantly surprised if this were fully chrome lined, just because it is so accurate.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:19:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You might be right!

Haven't I gathered that you are a Colt aficionado?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#19]
If you are shooting for MATCH Accuracy, a Non-Chrome lined barrel GENERALLY shoots more accurately than a chromed barrel because the Chrome lining is applied AFTER the rifling is cut and it is not always evenly distributed in the bore, causing high spots & low spots which can detract from maximum accuracy.

Colt may not have Chromed the bore for your model if they were trying to do MATCH accuracy with it.

But nearly every rifle I've seen with a Chromed Chamber also included Chroming the bore.

You might Reach Out to Colt for a Clarification on that matter.

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:43:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
When you decide you want to get rid of the 13" LaRue Picatinny Rail - LMK!  

BIGGER_HAMMER
View Quote

Sorry, it is a 12" LaRue Pic rail.  Shoot me an IM if you want and we can take it offline.

I was going to wait to pull it until I got the 15" BCM rail, but I have a LaRue 9.0 MLOK rail arriving tomorrow (2 month wait to get it) that is replacing a LaRue 9.0 Pic on a midlength with fixed FSA.  So I will be working on one rifle and once I have everything set up, I might just pull the 12.0.

Actually, I have been somewhat on the fence about the BCM rail as some say it is a pain to install and really hard to remove.  If I like the profile of the LaRue MLOK rail, I might just order a LaRue MLOK 13.2 and go with that on the Colt.  I really like the LaRue mounting system as it is easy to work with, if not somewhat overly complex compared to other rails.  But I think that is what makes the LaRue rails so solid.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:46:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you are shooting for MATCH Accuracy, a Non-Chrome lined barrel GENERALLY shoots more accurately than a chromed barrel because the Chrome lining is applied AFTER the rifling is cut and it is not always evenly distributed in the bore, causing high spots & low spots which can detract from maximum accuracy.

Colt may not have Chromed the bore for your model if they were trying to do MATCH accuracy with it.

But nearly every rifle I've seen with a Chromed Chamber also included Chroming the bore.

Good Luck!

View Quote

There are some interesting things about this MT6731.  I bought it NIB in 1998, so it was a crime bill ban gun and around that time I was under the impression that some rifles would have different specs as Colt was kind of throwing them together with whatever they had around.

Mine has normal sized takedown and trigger pins.  New it had a screw bolt in lieu of the front push pin.  ADCO installed a push pin, but they also had to drill the mag well fence for the takedown pin retaining pin and also add the weep hole.  (ADCO did a great job there too, but they are well known for their outstanding work.)

The MT is supposed to have the large takedown and trigger pins.  I guess I got lucky there.

Maybe I got lucky on the barrel being fully chrome too?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:59:59 PM EDT
[#22]
I am but I’m not much if a Colt historian with all the different things they’ve done.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:10:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Good Luck!

View Quote

I'm not sure that Colt was that concerned about match accuracy, so much as selling rifles and making it seem like they were target oriented.  Manufacturers were scrambling to delete features to keep their rifles legal for sale.

Remember what is was like in 1998.  The AR15 market was nowhere near what it is now.  We got all of our information from gun magazines that we bought at the grocery store every month and the guys are the gun store.

In fact, I recall that AR15.com started around that time.  I was on the old board when it started.  Wish I was able to search and see what was being said back then....

And this rifle has primarily been a range rifle set up with a Leupold 3-9 scope and bipod.  So it has mainly seen slow fire at the 100 yard line.  This has not been my class or training rifle.

If I have a non chrome lined chamber, I'll likely just replace the barrel and be done with it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:29:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I just pulled out a Colt R6530 and the barrel is marked:

C MP 5.56 NATO
View Quote

I am certain that barrel has a chrome chamber and bore as it is a factory Colt as well.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Unless some strange circumstances, Colt bbls are CLd. I've seen a few vendors selling them unlined (rare), not exactly sure what the deal was. Could be rejects, unfinished contract overruns, etc.

Colt Expanse bbls are not CLd, FWIW.

If you have doubt, pull the MD, clean/inspect the crown, it should be obvious.

Hard chrome is a dull gray, not a high polish like decorative chrome.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unless some strange circumstances, Colt bbls are CLd. I've seen a few vendors selling them unlined (rare), not exactly sure what the deal was. Could be rejects, unfinished contract overruns, etc.

Colt Expanse bbls are not CLd, FWIW.

If you have doubt, pull the MD, clean/inspect the crown, it should be obvious.

Hard chrome is a dull gray, not a high polish like decorative chrome.
View Quote

Thanks everyone.  I will be pulling the barrel when I switch rails and will clean it up, inspect, and report back!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Interesting that anyone would chrome line the chamber and not the rest of the bore on a modern production AR15 barrel.  The Army first did that in the 60s as a stop gap before they could fully chrome plate the entire bore in the early rifles.  It's mind boggling to think that a commercial company would make barrels that way decades later.

There was a test that a manufacturer posted here around 2009 I think.  It involved destructive testing of various 16" unlined M4 profile barrels from full auto fire.

I believe they fired something like 10k rounds through half a dozen M4 profile barrels, all full auto.  At the end of the test, the barrels were still shootable without key holing, and could still hit man sized targets at typical combat ranges IIRC.  

Anyone else remember this thread?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Had an unlined M&A parts 16" M4 as a truck gun for awhile. After 6 months in the truck, rust spots developed in the last 6" of the barrel towards the muzzle.

I was able to make many passes of a bore snake through it to get it scrubbed out and it now sits with a healthy coat of CLP in the barrel on the last pass. I have also stopped carrying a truck/trunk gun, so the climate controlled house helps too.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most Match Target series (6601, 6700, 6731) were chrome chamber only.
There’re examples of fully CL ones but those are exceptions afaik.

Instead The 6400 and maybe even the 6530 were fully CL from the beginning.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Most Match Target series (6601, 6700, 6731) were chrome chamber only.
There’re examples of fully CL ones but those are exceptions afaik.
View Quote

This I did not know.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This I did not know.
View Quote

CL on MT series has been discussed for years.. just make a google research and you’ll find all sort of answers.

I don’t know what the norm was.. all I know is both my MT (6601 and 6731) are chrome chamber only.. same for another 6601 and one 6700 that belong to some friends.
All the above were mfg in 2000, 2008, 1999 and 1997 respectively.

The only MT with fully CL barrels that I’ve personally seen are the mt6400 and the mt6530.. the first mfg in 2004.. don’t remember the latter.

On the MT series colt did his best as far as inconsistency.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Clean it after you shoot it.  Run and oily patch down the barrel as the last step in cleaning/lubing and put it away till you want to shoot it the next time.

We have a couple .22's in the family that are 100 years old or more.  Not a bit of rust in the barrels after who knows how many rainy/wet days of squirrel/rabbit hunting up in the mountains.

If you take it out in the rain/wet and don't shoot it you should still clean/lube it when you get home.

Best group I've ever shot at 100 yds. with an AR15 was from a 1 turn in 9" unlined barrel.  Hated to give that rifle to my oldest son, but he really likes it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Keep it lubed.
View Quote

Kept in a climate controlled space, shooting non-corrosive ammo on square ranges, sure no big deal.

Shoot it out in shitty weather and you actually need to do some work to keep it from rusting.  The military culture of weapon maint., muzzle covers, and drybags came about for a reason.   Not hard to do, though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Kept in a climate controlled space, shooting non-corrosive ammo on square ranges, sure no big deal.

Shoot it out in shitty weather and you actually need to do some work to keep it from rusting.  The military culture of weapon maint., muzzle covers, and drybags came about for a reason.   Not hard to do, though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep it lubed.

Never had an issue.

As stated, keep the bore lubed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#35]
High humidity requires more frequent cleaning as well. Store firearms in a damp basement and they will rust. I personally never buy chrome lined barrels if I can avoid it. I prefer SS match or Chromoly unlined barrels. My chrome lined barrels are relegated to blasting service.

I have a friend who's wife absolute hates firearms and thinks they are the work of the devil (her church agrees). He owns a modest collection which has has been hidden in his basement for decades away from her prying eyes. Because he never took the time to dig them out for preventative maintenance he is now the proud owner a rust pitted Colt Diamondback.

Grown men can cry....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top