Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2024 9:45:50 PM EDT

What components would you use to build a precision 22 LR AR suitable for NRL22 competition?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:00:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d start with a a Tikka T3
And just put a AR sticker on it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Not that hard just find a good drop in barrel from a notable  barrel maker  $$$.  Bed it properly and use a premium bolt.  With that you also need excellent optics $$$.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:01:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MemeWarfare] [#3]
Me and a friend have both built dedicated rimfire ARs for high-power training using Beyers sleeved barrels and both rifles shoot right at 1moa.

Beyers barrel
Cmmg bolt assembly
The rest is normal AR parts
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:12:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Renaissancemann] [#4]
https://www.reddit.com/r/ar22/comments/1azxsab/part_two_bore_buddy_apogee_match_upper_i_was_able/

Building a 1moa upper is not as hard as it used to be. A quality barrel is key.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MemeWarfare:
Me and a friend have both built dedicated rimfire ARs for high-power training using Beyers sleeved barrels and both rifles shoot right at 1moa.

Beyers barrel
Cmmg bolt assembly
View Quote

Is it picky on ammo? I suddenly have the need to build a 1 moa .22.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:34:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Popeye7751:
Not that hard just find a good drop in barrel from a notable  barrel maker  $$$.  Bed it properly and use a premium bolt.  With that you also need excellent optics $$$.
View Quote

Bed it? I must've slept through that lecture. You bed .22lr AR's?

Somebody please enlighten my ignorant self.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:58:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#7]
Originally Posted By Vague:

View Quote

Some people will use shim stock and/or locktite to bed the barrel extension into the receiver to remove any slop.  I've heard high performance shooters swearing for it and against it.  I'm not good enough to notice a difference so I'll just shrug.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Thinking someone forgot the board they were posting on.  Some call shimming or using loctite on the extension "bedding" but it isn't really.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:44:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Just like any more accurate rifle...quality parts and quality ammo.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:44:55 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

I'd say more of a thermal fit would fix this issue vs shims
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Just have Ballistic Advantage build one for you, if they still do.
Mine is at or near MOA, at least as good as I can shoot.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 2:55:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By azmp5:

I'd say more of a thermal fit would fix this issue vs shims
View Quote

I'm more of a friction fit kinda guy but, yes.  Better to have a good fit from go, rather than make a "patch" for it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2024 3:02:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#13]
My buddy shoots local competitions with a tikka t3, in a krg chasis, with an atlas bipod.

Using off the shelves eley ammo he does pretty well in the competitions.

Edit: missed this was the AR sub.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Well, JPRifles think they have the secret sauce but it's gonna cost you nearly $3k for the purchase of their new JPRFX Precision Rimfire Rifle to find out.  Otherwise, I agree with the above; A good barrel, trigger, and ammo are the key.  I have a couple AR barrels that consistently shoot 1" to 1-1/2" groups at 100yds.  The 21" BoreBuddy Match barrel being one of them.  And that's with "middle of the road to lower end ammo.  I've never even tried the $20/box stuff.  I'm enjoying the results I get with the far less expensive ammo.  Maybe MOA or better with "the good stuff".  I'll find out one of these days.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:

View Quote

Yes, you need premium ammo to get premium results in rimfire precision shooting, and there will still be an occasional round that does its own thing. You’ll see a lot of online .22 rifles that shoot sub-MOA all day with cheap ammo, but that’s not what happens in real world shooting activities.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:07:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By outlaw222:

What components would you use to build a precision 22 LR AR suitable for NRL22 competition?
View Quote

But to answer this question, the Borebuddy match upper would be a good choice.  The CMMG (ciener-type) bolts have been improved to a point where reliability is excellent.  As mentioned, Beyer Barrels have been reported to have excellent accuracy.  John at Keystone Accuracy will make a custom barrel that mates up to the Ciener-type bolt.  I have two of these and they are very accurate.  Lothar-Walther used to have drop-in AR22 barrels on their website but they've dropped off.  I bet they'd still make you one if you called and asked.  It looks like Compass Lake Engineering is no longer taking orders but if you could get your hands on a CLE AR22 upper in the used market, that would be a great candidate.  RRA actually makes AR22 uppers too and they have a National Match version that would also work.  The older JP AR22s were primarily marketed toward the action steel shooter for reliability and are not know for superior accuracy but even then, I'd put mine in that 1-1/2" category.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:22:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Type in "Dedicated. 22LR and accuracy?".  On Google it will take you over to snipershide, plenty of pictures of what can be built and sub moa accuracy. I posted some good info there with pictures.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Douglas blank that was turned by Compass Lake Engineering.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 3:59:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#19]
Compass Lake closed to public sales, so that sucks. They’re 100% commercial contract (largely Douglas) now.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Beyers barrel
Cmmg bolt assembly
View Quote

A CMMG barrel was a complete wast of time and money.  I ended up calling Beyers and now I have a tack driver.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I've never seen an AR platform rimfire in the NRL22 comps I shoot. I suspect theres a reason for that. Having said that its no secret to make any precision firearm. Quality parts andf quality ammo. In the world of rimfire ammo is way more a pain in the ass than the parts.

I'm curious how you get on, if you do start shooting NRL22 with an AR I'd love to hear how it goes. As I said, I've never seen an AR used which speaks volumes to me. Worse, I dont think you'll ever get an AR to shoot as well as a good bolt and will struggle to get it reliably 1 MOA (Which is enough of a pain in the ass with a high end bolt gun!)

I suppose my point is it would be a fun project but I wouldnt pursue it if you want to be serious about your NRL22 results.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I do that with my S&W M&P 15-22.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:57:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chumpmiester] [#23]
I've had good results with my CMMG 16" heavy profile barrel. It even outshoots the Bore Buddy 21" Apogee barrel I have. I've had flyers with the Apogee barrel that have never went away.

Here is a 5 shot group out of my 16 CMMG heavy barrel at 50 yards.

Attachment Attached File

5 shot group at 50 yards with the 21" Apogee barrel

Attachment Attached File

10 shot group at 50 yards with the 21" Apogee barrel.

Attachment Attached File

I was shooting CCI Standard velocity out of both barrels. I also used the exact same lower and the same scope for each upper.

Here is a 5 shot group at 50 yards with my Savage MkII BTVLSS shooting CCI Mini Mags for comparison.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/27/2024 5:52:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I can do that with my M&P 15-22. Every time all the time? No, but I am not hunting or competing.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Consistency is what matters for shooting small groups all of the time. My CMMG 16" heavy barreled upper and my Savage MkII BTVLSS will shoot those small groups consistently when I do my part, the Apogee barrel is a different story though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Beyers barrel
Cmmg bolt assembly

Function-wise or accuracy-wise?

Function-wise it eats everything. And I used a high-speed camera to tune out bolt-bounce with bolt weights. Runs great.

Accuacy-wise it isn’t picky either, or rather it doesn’t seem to benefit from premium ammo like Ely, Lapua, SK, etc. Seems to shoot just as well with CCI., which surprised me. I think the chamber must be loose enough to not get benefit from the match ammo. It shoots right at 1moa as long as the ammo is CCI or better.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top