Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2018 6:51:54 PM EDT
TL;DR - If you are looking for a set of fixed sights these are way good especially considering the price.

PSA and Father's Day deals had me ending up ordering another upper, 16" barrel w/ 13" of rail up front, intending to build up an iron sight gun.  Maybe put a red dot on it, but definitely irons.

Had some MagPul flip up BUIS I got on a deal a while back, so put them on.  Not really happy with sight picture, nor the flip up part.

Asked here for recommendations, someone mentioned the new UTG offerings, and being as budget minded as I am (I work in education....)  $50 OTD for front and back called to me.

So... whats the deal?

First, when ordering, there is only one rear sight but there are 2 models of front sight - different heights.  The shorter is for "same plane" mounting - the front and rear bases are at the same height above the bore.  The taller is for those who have a railed gas block and need to make up the difference in height from the gas block to the top of the upper.  I have a rail all the way out, so I ordered the "same plane" version.

OK, package arrives! Thank you Amazon for free Prime with a .edu email address...

They look good, and well made.  Evenly anodized, well packaged, each came with installing wrench and a spare retaining screw.  The front of the front sight has cuts in it to reduce reflection/glare towards the target, the rear is machined to match the curve at the back of the upper receiver.  Installing was easier than the MagPul method of slide on/off.  Just like a scope mount or anything else you'd attach to a weaver/picatinny slot - remove cross bar, place, screw in.  The way these are designed there is a mating lug, and so they should return to zero when removed and reinstalled IF you get them in hte same slots on the same rifle.

The sight picture is very nice, with flipable apeture. The "small" size was enough to smack man size steel at 200 yards and give me 1-2" groups at 50 yards, the larger makes a nice ghost ring for quick shooting or low light conditions. I did notice that with sloppy head position the larger apeture did let the "ears" of the front sight seem like the post.  Since the front sight post is a standard A2 style replaceable, I may replace it with something high vis and/or a night sight.

Sight adjustment can be done for elevation on the front sight, and the rear can adjust for both elevation and windage.   I didn't check the front, but it appears to be mechanically centered or really close to it.  The rear arrived very close to mechanically centered.  At the rear, there are 75 clicks up and down available, and 90 for left/right adjustment.  After re-centering elevation was spot on at 50 yards, and I was off to the left by 4".  Clicks are stiff and positive - the vertical adjustment is much easier to use, both wore my fingers out running out adjustment and then running it back the other direction counting all the way, then recentering.  I don't think this is a bad thing or an issue - not all of us check for total adjustment, or try for mechanically centering and for those of us that do it is a one time only thing.  Adjustments of "a few" clicks are trivial - hundreds of clicks aren't.

If you want to build up a dedicated irons gun, and you don't like the look of the AR carry handle, these UTG slim sights deserve a close look.

I'll be keeping these, and perhaps add an inexpensive red dot for cowitnessing...

Anyone wanna buy some Magpul BUIS ?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#1]
You forgot to post the pictures
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You forgot to post the pictures
View Quote
Got dark before I could get 'em done... Indoor gun pix really don't come out for me
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:58:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#5]
They are really good for the money. They are a great way to get shooting. Especially with a PSA premium/budget upper. The actual sight assembly/drum/aperature is on par with a cardinal forge ch I have

I believe these are billet. Going too thin/low profile could be an issue.

Forged/Chopped sights will be more robust.  But are heavier/Bulkier.

I haven't done any drop tests, but the mounts held strong after beating on it with a faygo bottle full of water.

I can't say the same for Aero Precision Buis.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:01:43 PM EDT
[#6]
As promised long ago, some pics

Rear -

Nice  construction, clearly marked so you can move the impact in correct direction the first time :)

note how the circular cut at bottom of rear matches pattern of upper perfectly, the massive ghostring and the regular peep -

Front sight towards the shooter, notice anti-glare cuts in face of the flat surface -

The front side (towards enemy!) is flat, and also has the anti-glare cuts.  Do they work? Yup.  Over cast day with some sunshine breaking through here in N Florida, I was able to angle it enough to get a nice glare off the flat face of the hand guards so you can see the difference - front face of the front sight and the flats on the front face of the hand guard are on the same plane... note difference in glare -

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top