Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2020 11:23:48 AM EDT
Hi, i am a bit confused on this subject. I am on the market for a USGI silent sling for my M4 build and i just found out that there is a longer silent sling for the M4 and a shorter one for the M16 rifles. i have seen both models on the website of a big online store located in the US and the customer service said that to me when i asked the difference between the two slings. Do you confirm that? both are black with metal buckles. If this is true for my M4 build the proper sling would be the longer one, right?

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 11:45:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes the longer one is for the M4, I think CDNN or CTD was blowing these slings out.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 3:45:53 PM EDT
[#2]
52" is all I've ever seen.

Shorter sling for longer weapons does not make sense to my brain......
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sling, Small Arms, Silent

NSN: 1005-01-216-4570   (M16A1, A2, A4) 54" long

NSN: 1005-01-368-9852 (M4 Carbine) 74" long

All slings come in a cheap plastic bag with black metal non steel buckles.  I do not know if the shorter sling is still being issued new as I have not seen a A2 or A4 rifle in about 3 years as we only get M4 carbines.  Each M4 ships with a sling, 7 magazines, TM and GI cleaning kit.
View Quote

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/_ARCHIVED_THREAD____USGI_silent_slings/19-483209/?page=1#i4484997

Apparently they made the M4 sling longer so it can be worn diagonally over armor + gear.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#5]

that's what i tought initially but also the M16 should be carried that way many times, no? Anyway, someone knows if there was a period when the 52'' sling was issued also for M4's/ M4's and M16's were issued the same "shorter" sling? Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:46:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Interesting. Had no idea.
View Quote

Me too. I found out this coincidentally while i was shopping for the classic 52'' sling
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:48:35 AM EDT
[#7]
+1
The longer one is for the carbine. I’ve handled multiple issued carbine slings and they were all longer than usual...maybe too long for civilian use without armor & gear

I also think different versions of the rifle one were made over the years, with different hardware and setup

Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:01:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
+1
The longer one is for the carbine. I’ve handled multiple issued carbine slings and they were all longer than usual...maybe too long for civilian use without armor & gear

I also think different versions of the rifle one were made over the years, with different hardware and setup

https://i.postimg.cc/fbGWqyn8/122-FCF3-B-ACDB-473-B-862-D-3-D0-E13-F9-CF62.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/m2ps6k77/24-FE5-C37-7-EDA-44-FD-9-B03-0960-CCC1-DFD6.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/KcNFBJzq/FDAFDF35-64-A8-4-F61-8784-804148-D0-C604.jpg

View Quote

thanks! do you know if there was a period when for M4 and M16 the same shorter sling was issued?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 6:09:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Don’t think so.
This is my 1994 manual (so at the beginning of the M4 adoption) and 2 different slings were already being issued.
It’s 100% possible that in real life soldiers issued a rifle would use a carbine sling.

Btw I’ve noticed a few different NSN for the rifle sling while the carbine one is always the same.
This is from a 1998 manual..

ETA:
1977 and 1980 manuals list 2x more NSN for the rifle sling
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don’t think so.
This is my 1994 manual (so at the beginning of the M4 adoption) and 2 different slings were already being issued.
It’s 100% possible that in real life soldiers issued a rifle would use a carbine sling.

https://i.postimg.cc/N0s8XdTR/3986375-F-F8-F1-4-B32-8-A8-E-E9-F794-B0-E64-A.jpg

Btw I’ve noticed a few different NSN for the rifle sling while the carbine one is always the same.
This is from a 1998 manual..

https://i.postimg.cc/NGSxn7qw/111-F001-C-ABC5-476-D-B8-B5-FEE62-C6-B7996.jpg

ETA:
1977 and 1980 manuals list 2x more NSN for the rifle sling
View Quote

Thanks . you said the carbine sling is even too long for civilian use without backpacks/armour. Why is that? can't you simply regulate it's lenght?

Edit: which TM are these exactly?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thanks . you said the carbine sling is even too long for civilian use without backpacks/armour. Why is that? can't you simply regulate it's lenght?

Edit: which TM are these exactly?
View Quote

When you shorten them, the slides can only trap so much of the excess length. The ends start to flap around.
Having said that you could always just cut the excess.
I assume you are looking for an as issued setup and dont want to do that.
But if you want to do that you might better of making your own by purchasing some webbing and tri glides.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:11:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

When you shorten them, the slides can only trap so much of the excess length. The ends start to flap around.
Having said that you could always just cut the excess.
I assume you are looking for an as issued setup and dont want to do that.
But if you want to do that you might better of making your own by purchasing some webbing and tri glides.
View Quote

I see, i think i will go with the shorter sling. Any other 2 point sling frequently used qith the M4?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Goes OVER the head - shoulder so you need longer sling to cover longer distance.

NEVER MIND Beaten too it...
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Goes OVER the head - shoulder so you need longer sling to cover longer distance.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, never crossed my mind.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top