Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2021 1:34:09 PM EDT
Finally, someone who offers type III anodizing!
My hat is off to you Kent Willis of Vegas Metal Finishing, for the outstanding job!!

https://vegasmetalfinishing.com/

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Did they media blast it, first?
I ask because it looks like someone went a little bit on the heavy side.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]

I’ll be in my bunk!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Aaah, so this is the business new frontier armory was investing in. Nice. I wonder if they do same day?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Few more pics...

Another Lower that was done, the upper is a Brownells which matches up perfect:

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#5]
We gots to know, man. How much $?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#6]
They did a lower for me and it cost $31.80. Turnaround was quick.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:36:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks really nice.

Is it the lighting, or is it slightly greenish?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:51:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Will he do serial numbered 80% lowers?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:32:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Will he do serial numbered 80% lowers?
View Quote

i sent serial-numbered 80% lowers to New Frontier Armory for anodizing, no problems.  still in the 80% state, of course.  Untouched, raw finish.  Came back looking like "factory OEM" anodized, of course, still 80% though.  

Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:09:28 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Did you send VMF the upper to match the lower to, or did you just get lucky on the color match?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:24:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

i sent serial-numbered 80% lowers to New Frontier Armory for anodizing, no problems.  still in the 80% state, of course.  Untouched, raw finish.  Came back looking like "factory OEM" anodized, of course, still 80% though.  

Highly recommend.
View Quote

The reason for serializing the lower before sending is so it can be a 100% lower when anodized. They need to enter the SN in their FFL book to check it in and out of their possession. Otherwise you would need to walk in with it and sit there the whole time they are anodizing it so it doesn't leave your possession.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:20:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

i sent serial-numbered 80% lowers to New Frontier Armory for anodizing.
View Quote

Frontier Armory stopped anodizing jobs. They are not taking any more work.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:32:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I had sent in two lowers, one upper, charging handle and latch.
I just summitted the paperwork too SBR the Colt A2 lower (my 733 project), and I wanted the parts to match.
They offer a Colt gray, but I wanted black.
They are black, must be the light...

Here is a lower that US Anodizing did years ago.....The upper is Colt factory, they match, both black.

Here is the same lower with the upper from Vegas, Both are black, but not really matching.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Frontier Armory stopped anodizing jobs. They are not taking any more work.
View Quote

Vegas Metal Finishing is owned by them, that is why they stopping doing it at their facility and refer you to VMF.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:48:56 AM EDT
[#15]
i've also used Atomic Engraving to good results.  not sure if they're Type III or mil-spec, but the results look and feel just like a regular black anodized lower.  

Atomic Engraving | Anodizing Services
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, thanks for the information. I have not had anything anodized in over a year and did not realize NFA was longer doing this. They always did a fantastic job for a very reasonable cost. But if Vegas Metal Finishing is now taking this work, then that's good too. When I used the NFA anodizing over a year ago, turn around was usually around a month. For the great price and quality, that was fine. I imagine they waited to put together a full batch, then they anodized them and shipped them out.

Like others have mentioned, the way to get factory results was to have an 80% lower engraved with the serial number and info you want, then mill/router the engraved 80% yourself. Then, send the finished lower out to be anodized. You get back your engraved lower looking like a factory item. New Frontier Armory did a fantastic job. Back in the salad days, you could order an 80% from suppliers like Right to Bear engraved per your instructions for something like a $20 or $30 upcharge. RTB still has the service, it's just gotten more costly like everything else has. Oh well, you can't go back in time, so it is what it is. I still think it is a good deal if that is what you want. Get it engraved, mill it, anodize it, and you're in business.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Highly recommend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Highly recommend.

Quoted:
The reason for serializing the lower before sending is so it can be a 100% lower when anodized. They need to enter the SN in their FFL book to check it in and out of their possession. Otherwise you would need to walk in with it and sit there the whole time they are anodizing it so it doesn't leave your possession.

The reason I send in a serialized 80% lower for anodizing is that the engraved writing, pics, whatever, ends up being anodized flat black, not machined bright aluminum.  appearance of OEM for external surfaces.  I still end up with a bright aluminum milled finish for the FCG pocket on the inside, which I then coat or paint.  ambi safety and KNS pins hides the "silver ring" around the drilled holes.

I send in a serialized 80% lower for anodizing so I don't have to mess with FFL transfers.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The reason I send in a serialized 80% lower for anodizing is that the engraved writing, pics, whatever, ends up being anodized flat black, not machined bright aluminum.  appearance of OEM for external surfaces.  I still end up with a bright aluminum milled finish for the FCG pocket on the inside, which I then coat or paint.  ambi safety and KNS pins hides the "silver ring" around the drilled holes.

I send in a serialized 80% lower for anodizing so I don't have to mess with FFL transfers.
View Quote

Using UPS, you can send a complete or serialized part of a firearm to an FFL and have them return it directly to you. No need to take it to an FFL to ship and receive. One party must have an FFL in order to log the firearm into and out of their books.

Unless your trying to keep the lower out of all FFL books, it doesn't really make sense to not serialize the lower and complete it before sending to have it anodized. If the anodizing shop is not an FFL holder then of course you would not be able to do this and sending them an 80% makes complete sense.

VMF is an FFL holder, or at least it says so on their website.  

From UPS website:

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing firearms complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top