Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2021 1:15:57 PM EDT
I recently completed the two builds shown below.

ODG rifle is 20" 5.56 with mil-dot 4.5-14x40mm Leupold Mark IV LR/T; turrets covered with threaded caps.  Rifle will be used mostly for target shooting and occasional coyote hunting.

FDE rifle is 20" 6.5 Grendel with illuminated mil-dot 3-9x36mm Leupold Mark IV MR/T; exposed turrets.  Rifle will be used primarily for hunting medium-sized game (deer & hogs).  I also built a matching 12" 6.5G pistol upper with an Aimpoint Comp M2 and BUIS for close-in work.

I'm thinking that I want to swap the scopes - put the 40mm LR/T on the 6.5G and the 36mm MR/T on the 5.56.  I'm not interested in buying another optic.

Which scope would you mount on which rifle?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 1:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Get QD mounts and keep DOPE sheets then you can switch them out as you see fit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm thinking that I want to swap the scopes - put the 40mm LR/T on the 6.5G and the 36mm MR/T on the 5.56.
View Quote

Makes sense, ballistically
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:09:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'm thinking that I want to swap the scopes - put the 40mm LR/T on the 6.5G and the 36mm MR/T on the 5.56.

I read the OP a couple of times, I agree, swapping them makes more sense.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for validating my thought process.  The other consideration in my mind is that the covered turrets on the LR/T would be more conducive to sliding the rifle in and out of the scabbard on my Eberlestock pack without risking accidentally knocking it out of adjustment.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Id leave it if you already zerod them
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd swap them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Id leave it if you already zerod them
View Quote

Only laser boresighted at 25 yds so far.  I've gone ahead and swapped them.  One of the benefits of the Leupold cantilever mounts - 5 minute job.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#8]
If either rife has and edge in accuracy put the better scope on it.
Otherwise I wouldn't bother.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 6:40:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I reckon coyotes will be further out than pigs, so the magnifications are on their respective gun. Reticle design could sway me, but I don't know what they look like.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:38:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Leave them where they are.

The hunter (Grendel) will be fine at the ranges you need with the 3x9.  I am assuming up to 200Y.

You will want more magnification for the target shooting and coyotes, assuming you will be shooting at further distances than with the Grendel.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top