Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 12:16:20 AM EDT
Is there an Ampoint type RDS for handguns?
I dont like the conventional RMR that projects a laser versus an internal LED like in an Aimpoint.
Not only is the drain much higher with lasers but the laser can be blocked with rain or snow or dust. An all enclosed red dot seems much more reliable.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:22:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Aimpoint Acro
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:37:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I have used UltraDot red dot sights for years on handguns.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:39:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Look into the Holosun products.... I have ~8 or so and one warranty case that was handled with excellence.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is there an Ampoint type RDS for handguns?
I dont like the conventional RMR that projects a laser versus an internal LED like in an Aimpoint.
Not only is the drain much higher with lasers but the laser can be blocked with rain or snow or dust. An all enclosed red dot seems much more reliable.
View Quote

The RMR uses an LED, not a laser like an EOTech.
Aimpoint ACRO and Holosun 509T are the two enclosed emitter options I'm aware of at the moment.
That being said, while I tend to share that preference, my carry gun has worn an RMR for a couple years now without issue.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:18:02 AM EDT
[#5]
UltraDot is old school. Aimpoint micros are the new hotness in Bullseye. Aimpoint also has the new ACRO.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:47:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The Burris Fastfire4 and Sig Romeo2 are coming out in 2021 and will have enclosed emitters.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This. They don't have the battery life of newer sights but they are tough and dependable.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Doesn't Leupold have some fancy enclosed red dot sight thing of some sort too?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:11:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same.  There may be better/smaller/lighter red dots today, but replacing my decades-old Ultradots with T1s just doesn't have a ROI for me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:51:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have that goofy Micro DPP which is a horrible design and destined for commercial failure, if that’s what you’re talking about.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

They have that goofy Micro DPP which is a horrible design and destined for commercial failure, if that’s what you’re talking about.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, that was it, the micro, thank you!
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:58:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The RMR uses an LED, not a laser like an EOTech.
Aimpoint ACRO and Holosun 509T are the two enclosed emitter options I'm aware of at the moment.
That being said, while I tend to share that preference, my carry gun has worn an RMR for a couple years now without issue.
View Quote

This

Acro or 509T
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This

Acro or 509T
View Quote

Of the two I’d go for a the 509.

I love me some AimPoint but they blew it with the short battery life on the ACRO. It’s disappointing because AimPoint should be owning that market segment.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Holosun's  CR1632 battery is a deal breaker. 2032 is the standard.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:12:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Primary Arms Micro Dot on my Buck Mark .22 LR and love it for a range toy.  But for serious use, I'd prefer something with a more forgiving reticle like the Holosun Vulcan:

There's a wide circle that helps you find the dot when presenting the gun.  Yes, consistent training is the best way to perfect your presentation, but this big outer circle will help you quickly find the center chevron if your presentation is off - possibly if shooting from a nonstandard position.  Seems like the perfect option for a defensive handgun, or any weapon without a stock.    
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Holosun's  CR1632 battery is a deal breaker. 2032 is the standard.
View Quote

Dude.
The Aimpoint uses a 1225 battery, which is even weirder.
The Vortex Venom uses a 1632.

And in the Holosun it gets changed once a year (life up to 50,000hrs/5yrs) vs every 2-3 weeks in the Aimpoint.

Getting stuck on a different battery size for a dot is as rediculous as refusing to have a weapon light that doesn't use AA batteries.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:09:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Loves me some tube red dot on a hangun...........

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You mean like the little brother of this Deltapoint Pro?  The same one the slide of the current US Mil pistol, M9 is milled for?  The two I run have been flawless, the oldest for about six years now.  Don't know much about the micro, but the DPP is a good choice.

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You mean like the little brother of this Deltapoint Pro?  The same one the slide of the current US Mil pistol, M9 is milled for?  The two I run have been flawless, the oldest for about six years now.  Don't know much about the micro, but the DPP is a good choice.

https://i.postimg.cc/VksJJ88x/8-BE83245-C821-40-B8-80-FB-8-DAB5-C61-E31-C.jpg
View Quote
This.
May as well be a ghost ring.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top