BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2023 10:29:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyBallz]
Hey guys.

I’m quite familiar with the DI world and I’m looking to get a piston set up going.

I’ve heard mixed opinions on after-market retro-fit piston systems. Many sound valid.

I am not making this build for casual use. This would be a self-defense/SHTF rifle.

For those that have used a piston kit, would you trust it with your life? If so, what brand and why?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 2:57:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Superlative arms
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:02:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyBallz] [#2]
Thanks for the recommendation.
I’ve heard great things.
Would you trust their system with your life?
And why?

I don’t mean to be picky. Just really want to make sure.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:08:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't trust any conversion for SHTF.

I'd stick to factory piston or a DI gun.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:23:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyBallz] [#4]
I am leaning the same way.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

View Quote

...so you wouldn't trust your own build? Strange way to think. What's gonna happen if 'shtf' and you're forced to service the rifle for whatever reason?

@OP weird follow on questions but yes.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:44:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mobiushky] [#6]
Originally Posted By hoody2shoez:
Superlative arms
View Quote

I'll second Superlative Arms.  But to add to the mix, I'd say the same about Adams Arms.  If you install it right, no reason to worry.

Why do I trust it?  While I haven't taken them "down range", I will say that I've run both AA (Adams Arms) and SA (Superlative Arms) in competitions for years.  Full disclosure, the AA was factory built.  But the SA is my current rig going on it's third year.  The main reason is because the all guns are mechanical devices.  Mechanical devices fail.  It may have a different type of failure, but DI can fail too.  How do you prevent a DI gun from failing?  Take care of it.  Clean it, lube it, inspect it, replace worn parts.  Do the same thing with a piston and it's gonna be solid.

So far, the only parts I've broken on my piston guns were no related to the piston.  Same parts that are on DI.  The pistons have never had a hiccup.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]

...so you wouldn't trust your own build? Strange way to think. What's gonna happen if 'shtf' and you're forced to service the rifle for whatever reason?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Very legitimate point that I regularly think of
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 3:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Great take!
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#9]
if you want built-like-a-tank confidence, might want to consider having the piston gas block pinned to the barrel.  That's usually how factory piston setups are.

having said that, none of my Adams Arms piston gas blocks have ever even budged, once installed.  have never loosened up.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 5:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely pinning all gas blocks whether piston or di
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#11]

@OP weird follow on questions but yes.
View Quote

(Factory Piston) or (DI Gun)

That more clear?

I had a piston conversion. No, I didn't trust it. That's why I no longer own it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#12]

I had a piston conversion. No, I didn't trust it. That's why I no longer own it.

View Quote

Just to be clear, you did a piston conversion and you didn't trust your own work?  Or did I miss something?
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By mobiushky:

Just to be clear, you did a piston conversion and you didn't trust your own work?  Or did I miss something?
View Quote

You missed something.

Piston conversions don't always operate as well as a factory gun. In fact they almost never do. Granted, I was running 300 BLK. So it's not exactly something prone to super high reliability to begin with. The dirtiness of 300 BLK would foul the piston cups to failure within 90 rounds. It's nothing I was interested in dealing with. I did the basic troubleshooting to try to improve reliability but at the end of the day they ran like shit in 300 BLK. If you were doing 223/556 it would probably be better.

My HD build started life as a DD but the only thing factory left is the upper and lower receiver.  I trust it 100%, as I have seen me put 600+ rds through it before cleaning without issue. But the piston, not so much.

YMMV, and that's okay.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#14]
MCX Upper conversion kit
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#15]

You missed something.

Piston conversions don't always operate as well as a factory gun. In fact they almost never do. Granted, I was running 300 BLK. So it's not exactly something prone to super high reliability to begin with. The dirtiness of 300 BLK would foul the piston cups to failure within 90 rounds. It's nothing I was interested in dealing with. I did the basic troubleshooting to try to improve reliability but at the end of the day they ran like shit in 300 BLK. If you were doing 223/556 it would probably be better.

My HD build started life as a DD but the only thing factory left is the upper and lower receiver.  I trust it 100%, as I have seen me put 600+ rds through it before cleaning without issue. But the piston, not so much.

YMMV, and that's okay.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mobiushky:

You missed something.

YMMV, and that's okay.

300blk is weird with Pistons

I've about 25k through my sup arms and have had zero issues. (556)
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 8:40:18 PM EDT
[#16]

You missed something.

YMMV, and that's okay.
View Quote

I can see where user installed kits may be less reliable especially given the vast range of technical skill of the average Joe.  That said, I'm guessing something bigger was going on with yours.  Not that it matters in life.  No worries if you ditched the kit.  I've got an AA kit on a .300BLK and haven't seen the issues you had.  I've had thousands of rounds through my piston ARs and actually never have cleaned them.  I'm considering actually cleaning my current competition/SHTF rifle only because it's an SA and the bleed off system (while AWESOME) is carbonizing the barrel in front of the gas block.  I would say the install is subject to the user's skill level and attention to detail.

I trust mine implicitly.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 9:57:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: funnelcake] [#17]
Superlative arms
View Quote

ETA - I’ll second the above & add AA.  I’ve seen their stuff tortured & abused with no issues.  Including the clamp-on gas block.
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you to all who responded!!
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:24:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RustyBallz] [#19]
Originally Posted By funnelcake:

ETA - I’ll second the above & add AA.  I’ve seen their stuff tortured & abused with no issues.  Including the clamp-on gas block.
View Quote

IV8888 meltdown video was convincing.
And I believe it would have kept going with a better hand guard
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:25:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
MCX Upper conversion kit
View Quote

Undoubtedly getting the x39 LT upper eventually
Link Posted: 6/5/2023 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By ar15joe:
MCX Upper conversion kit
View Quote

Yeah, this.

Ground up design is better, IMO.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By RustyBallz:
Thanks for the recommendation.
I’ve heard great things.
Would you trust their system with your life?
And why?

I don’t mean to be picky. Just really want to make sure.
View Quote

I wouldn’t trust any conversion with my life.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Not a conversion but I have 3 Adams Arms piston uppers, two are 11.5 and one 16".
I have done two carbine carbine classes with one 11.5 and one class with the other, zero problems.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd pick a factory built, designed that way, piston rifle or upper if you plan on using a lower you already have. Personal experience with PWS MK110 as a duty rifle for 7 years almost entirely suppressed with no PWS specific parts breakage, along with a lot of SME feedback have shown they're dependable. That or a Sig MCX would be my top two choices. HKs and SCARs work obviously, but HKs are way overpriced and SCARs have no warranty once you shoot them suppressed.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By spectre3:
I'd pick a factory built, designed that way, piston rifle or upper if you plan on using a lower you already have. Personal experience with PWS MK110 as a duty rifle for 7 years almost entirely suppressed with no PWS specific parts breakage, along with a lot of SME feedback have shown they're dependable. That or a Sig MCX would be my top two choices. HKs and SCARs work obviously, but HKs are way overpriced and SCARs have no warranty once you shoot them suppressed.
View Quote

This, and would also add LMT to the mix.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By IPMan:

This, and would also add LMT to the mix.
View Quote

Agreed. I forgot about LMT and LWRC when I was thinking of reputable options.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top