Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2020 8:50:22 AM EDT
CMMG 22lr bolt/barrel on standard lower. I've shot maybe 5k rounds through this gun with no issues.

I swapped out the old trigger with an Unbranded AR from an LPK just to try it out. Shot it Saturday for the first time, and the spent case would eject, next round load, but maybe 7 of 10 times the trigger wouldn't reset. Flip safety on, and trigger would then reset with an audible click and gun was ready to fire.

This is a new one to me. Any advice on what to check or do?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you put the trigger spring in, correctly oriented?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you put the trigger spring in upside down?
View Quote
Ask me why that's my go-to move
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the link, Dano.

I pulled it apart tonight, verified springs were oriented correctly, and checked the sear surfaces. I couldnt find any burrs or noticeable issues with the geometry, but I ran a dremel polishing wheel over everything anyway.

I'll probably shoot again this weekend and see if it runs any better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:19:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I pulled it apart tonight, verified springs were oriented correctly, and checked the sear surfaces. I couldnt find any burrs or noticeable issues with the geometry, but I ran a dremel polishing wheel over everything anyway.

View Quote
That was weird seeing that.

Can you dry fire it and see if it works?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, seems to work fine. I pulled the upper off and ran the hammer back manually, couldn't recreate the issue. Did maybe 20-30 like that.

I only did a couple dry fires by actually running the charging handle back. Old wives tale about not dry firing rimfires? I should do that a few more times, probably won't hurt it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Little update. I dry fired another 20ish times, tried holding trigger through charging, and then tried releasing trigger then racking.

Couldn't duplicate the issue, so I'll try shooting it this weekend.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 1:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pull FCG one more time, then install the pistol grip with grip bolt and head washer.

Make dam sure that the tip of the grip bolt is not protruding into the bottom of the receiver void.

If protruding, then shorten the tip of the grip bolt or add another washer to the head of the bolt.

Also, when installing the FCG, lube the piss out of the parts to make sure that the burless trigger channel is not binding on the trigger pin, and that you don't have something funky going on like the selector U notch too narrow for the width of the trigger.  Also, with disco in hand, check the sides of both the through pin channel in the disco, and even the U slot for the disco in the trigger for side burs there.

Bottom line, switching the selector from fire to safe will force the back of the trigger down so the disco releases the hammer from it, and something is going on that the trigger is not coming all the way back to allow the same on trigger release as well on its own.  And yes, trigger pin should be tight in the receiver channel holes for the pin, and its the trigger with Disco in tow that should be slipping on the fixed trigger pin when you release finger pressure off the trigger to allow the trigger to come all the way back.

Sometimes its too long of a grip bolt protruding into the lower receiver void under the trigger that does not allow the tail of the trigger to come all the way down (after market grip with it bolt channel shallower), while other times its a Bur or wedging problem in the FCG that causes the bind so the trigger tail does not come all the way down on trigger finger release instead.
View Quote
Awesome, thank you. I did everything listed above.

Grip bolt is good, recessed well within the receiver. I pulled it anyway and cleaned the safety selector, and used compressed air to blow everything completely out of the receiver, then lubed and reinstalled. Notch seemed fine and fit the trigger. Put a little touch of grease in the groove and the u-notch anyway.

I polished surfaces on the trigger and hammer with a wheel and polishing compound with the dremel. The machining on the sear wasn't very high-end but nothing really bad I could see. Pin holes all good.

The disconnecter is pretty shoddy though now that I look closer. I polished all surfaces S best I could, but there are some marks on the edges, almost like casting voids? I'm not sure.

Attachment Attached File

I also compared against another disco. This one is shorter on the back end by the 'u' but not sure if that would be an issue? Here it is layed over a good disco. It's hard to get a good measurement with calipers due to the lower edge near the 'u' but this disco appears to be about 0.005-0.01" taller where I marked.

Attachment Attached File

I reinstalled and lubed the hell out of it anyway. Cleaned everything super well. Too wet to shoot today but hopefully tomorrow I can get out and test it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:49:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes, seems to work fine. I pulled the upper off and ran the hammer back manually, couldn't recreate the issue. Did maybe 20-30 like that.

I only did a couple dry fires by actually running the charging handle back. Old wives tale about not dry firing rimfires? I should do that a few more times, probably won't hurt it.
View Quote
Actually, most rimfires should not be dry fired because the firing pin can easily be damaged. Some are designed to allow dry firing, but they are the exception, not the rule.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Actually, most rimfires should not be dry fired because the firing pin can easily be damaged. Some are designed to allow dry firing, but they are the exception, not the rule.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha thanks. I should probably get a few spare firing pins for this thing anyway.

Sorry for no updates, it has continued to rain this week and my truck won't even make it to my shooting spot right now. Maybe by Sunday if we get some sun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 11:13:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Just a FYI, but if the action is not glass smooth, don't be surprised if you need to install a reduced tension disco spring on most 22lr kits.

Hence buffer does not come in play, and it only the distance of the barrel to face of the buffer that the action cycles on a 22lr.  On some kits, and some weaker ammo, just not enough rear speed on the  bolt cycle to get the bolt back enough to cock the hammer to the disco, and this is the reason for the reduced tension on the disco spring instead.

Also, if you are using this type kit on a gas ported 223 barrel, keep in mind that the lead 22lr bullet is going to get shaved at the gas port, ending up with the gas port lead clogged as some point.   And by lead clogged, it not just the barrel gas port that is going to be clogged solid, but the gas block/FSB larger port between the barrel gas port and gas tube that will clog as well.

Its not the end of the world, but does require that you pull the gas tube/FSB to get to all the ports to pick/heat the lead out before the barrel will cycle with 223 ammo again.

Really, for a AR-15 dedicated upper, better off with a entire 22lr upper, since you have a barrel that is correctly twisted rifled to spin the bullets correctly (223 barrel has faster rifling and over spins the bullets), as well as an upper barrel that is portless that you don't have to worry about leading up the gas port as well.
View Quote
Rgr, this is a 4.5" cmmg 22lr barrel, and a Boonie-Packer mag well insert to allow use of Smith and Wesson 15-22 magazines.

I didn't think of the reduced power disco spring.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe that reduced tension disco spring is the ticket.

I shot 50 rds or so just now (finally) and all good except 1 round ejected and another chambered properly but bolt didn't reset trigger.

I'll have time tomorrow to do a couple hundred rounds and we'll see how it does then.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd go after polishing the bcg long before I started swapping springs.  I've run cci standards before.  Anything lower powered than that doesn't belong in a semi auto unless it's purpose built for it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'd go after polishing the bcg long before I started swapping springs.  I've run cci standards before.  Anything lower powered than that doesn't belong in a semi auto unless it's purpose built for it.
View Quote
I shot about half and half CCI Standard and CCI Blazer.

I'll do one or two hundred of each tomorrow.
Link Posted: 3/2/2020 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Probably final update for anyone interested. Shot another ~150 rounds Saturday. Had one fail to reset the trigger completely, but no more of the safety-reset thing since my Bubba dremel gunsmith polishing.

I'll probably pull the bolt next weekend and polish it up in effort to eliminate the no-reset issue. If that doesn't work I'll start changing out springs.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top