Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2022 10:57:55 AM EDT
Want to change out a trigger guard, will have to tap out the roll pin.  Leery of breaking off an ear.

Besides using a copious amount of kroil, heat gun and supporting the ears are there any other tricks ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Go slow, make sure its supported on the actual ear
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a block of wood with a small hole drilled in it that works good at supporting the ears and still allowing the roll pin to fall through. Another thing you could try is to take a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut the roll pin at each end so there is less to drive out of the ears, but if you need to save the pin this wont' work.

If you break the ear off then you can buy a grip with the trigger guard built in.

ETA. make sure you use the proper size punch(preferably a roll pin punch)because the pin is large and has quite a bit of resistance on it and the last thing you want to happen(besides breaking an ear off)is to drive the punch into the pin and get it stuck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a block of wood with a small hole drilled in it that works good at supporting the ears and still allowing the roll pin to fall through. Another thing you could try is to take a dremel with a cut off wheel and cut the roll pin at each end so there is less to drive out of the ears, but if you need to save the pin this wont' work.

If you break the ear off then you can buy a grip with the trigger guard built in.

ETA. make sure you use the proper size punch(preferably a roll pin punch)because the pin is large and has quite a bit of resistance on it and the last thing you want to happen(besides breaking an ear off)is to drive the punch into the pin and get it stuck.
View Quote

Haven't seen that one.  Link or direction to it ?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Stark
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:34:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Cut the trigger guard in half w/ a Dremel, cut the remaining bit in half again, roll pin halves are easy to push out.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:43:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Unless you no clue at all what you are doing, and the question and reasoning you posted shows you know what you are doing, you will be fine. I use a roll of duct tape half the time. What matters most is the correct size punch. You can drive it out in two three strikes like butter

I have driven out, I have no idea how many, buzzed half the time, never once broke an ear off
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Try this method if you have a drill press.

Trigger Guard Roll Pin Removal UPDATE!
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/grip-parts/pistol-grips/ar-15-pistol-grip-prod71443.aspx
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#9]
This tool is handy for trigger guard roll pins
Amazon Product
  • Comes with an install pin and an uninstall pin
  • Pins conveniently store in the frame
  • Durable construction, made of aluminum with a mil-spec anodized finish

The full roll pin punch kit is a good buy for a basic armorer set.

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#10]
This little tool makes it a snap, installing or removing.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:55:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve never had to use heat, even on a tight Colt lower. A little oil and a good drive punch and medium weight hammer.

I use the Real Avid Master Bench block. The lower fits perfect and is supported properly.  Pins are driven from bolt catch side to ejection port side.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#12]
O
Quoted:
This little tool makes it a snap, installing or removing.
View Quote

OP, last two posts nail it.  Get the Wheeler tool
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:47:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks all. Learned of two products I didn’t know existed.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:07:37 AM EDT
[#14]
The Wheeler tool makes it super easy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Oil it, support the ear, punch it out.

EZPZ.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 5:17:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

EZPZ.
View Quote

This.

Just swapped the triggerguard on my DD lower and it was easy. Only chipping was from when DD installed the original MOE triggerguard in 2009.

I will add the only lower that gave me pause was an Anderson. The pin holes are a little tight and took a little more effort than I would have liked but it worked out okay. As long as the ear is supported and you're not using a mini sledge it should be okay. Kroil isn't a bad idea if it's been a few years or lots of field use.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I’ve never had to use heat, even on a tight Colt lower. A little oil and a good drive punch and medium weight hammer.

I use the Real Avid Master Bench block. The lower fits perfect and is supported properly.  Pins are driven from bolt catch side to ejection port side.
View Quote

I tried the RA bench block, once, and found that there was a gap between the "ear" and the actual block.  I had to support the receiver to get it mated up.  The receiver was a standard, forged receiver, so I can't understand why it wasn't fully supported.

As an aside, I once used a stack of playing cards to support the ear in a pinch.  It worked just fine, although it was a bit awkward.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]
I picked this up at Northern Tool

Ar 15 roll pin tool kit
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Unless you're acting like you're Thor, you shouldn't break it off. Don't use a huge hammer or mallet and instead use a small, tiny brass hammer and use the correct sized punch and give it a good support.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#20]
When it goes wrong, you can seek the Grip of Shame.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:14:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

Quoted:

View Quote

I have a small 2X4 with a small hole drilled just for knocking out trigger guard pins.  Keeping the lower ear supported is key.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 9:37:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have a small 2X4 with a small hole drilled just for knocking out trigger guard pins.  Keeping the lower ear supported is key.
View Quote

A hockey puck works damn well also.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:24:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And two that you don’t need. But to each their own. A piece of 1x6 pine has probably been my most used tool. And not just for AR’s.

Quoted:
EZPZ.

I’m with this guy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wheeler tool.

As mentioned multiple times.  There's no reason to do it any other way.  It's full proof.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:53:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wheeler tool.

As mentioned multiple times.  There's no reason to do it any other way.  It's full proof.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wheeler tool.

The only way to go....listen to @DefenderAO on this question....

They are cheap and very easy to use
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#26]
It seems to me that most people overthink this stuff. I assembled my first lower with only a pair of vice grips. I've probably assembled and disassembled dozens since then without any "special" tools.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:18:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This tool is handy for trigger guard roll pins
www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3NW460

The full roll pin punch kit is a good buy for a basic armorer set.
www.amazon.com/dp/B01B3NWDIE
View Quote

Wheeler Trigger Guard removal and installation works pretty damn good; however I still use a 2x4 with hole drilled out to at least start. The old fashion way still works well
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:16:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I've never had any trouble with a hammer, punches, and a block of wood.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#29]
A little more expensive than the Wheeler roll pin tool, but Little Crow Gunworks makes some really nice AR-15 tools.  I have used almost everything that they make for years.

https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/store1/RPP-Roll-Pin-Pusher-p106089763
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Only on the internet will people crap on using a tool that might save some time or minimize the risk of damaging something.

Not everyone has extensive trigger guard experience. I've used both the punch method and the tool method and lemme tell ya, I'll take the tool method every time. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A little more expensive than the Wheeler roll pin tool, but Little Crow Gunworks makes some really nice AR-15 tools.  I have used almost everything that they make for years.

View Quote

This is the actual one I use but is the same concept as Wheeler.

When working on a 1500.00+ AR, I don't understand not using the most full proof way to change a trigger guard with ear damage being a material risk for those not having done this work before.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

When working on a 1500.00+ AR, I don't understand not using the most full proof way to change a trigger guard with ear damage being a material risk for those not having done this work before.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree, especially when working on a NFA SBR lower....even with the Wheeler tool, I was sweating changing out the trigger guard on my SBRs....
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 12:54:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

This the way. Use an armorer’s hammer and correct punch. I’ve never broken an ear, but I’m always careful with these.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 12:12:29 PM EDT
[#36]
I use a hockey puck with a hole drilled in it.You can dremel  a hockey puck to contour gasblocks for gastube installation  easy also.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Pick up the Wheeler tool for the job. It's cheap and stress free.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top