Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2021 11:14:11 PM EDT
Ok, I'm looking to replace my MIL-SPEC trigger with something a bit more crisp and responsive. As with anything else AR related, it's easy to quickly get overwhelmed with info.

What recommendations do you have for me?

I'm open to "drop in" units as well as standard replacement triggers.

Main thing I'm looking for is a more responsive trigger verses the standard MIL-SPEC trigger....i.e. crisp break and quicker follow up shots,

TIA!

Quib
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Let me answer this thread in one post.

If you want cheap, get a LaRue MBT-2S. It's 90% as good as a Geissele and <50% the cost.

If you want the best, get a Geissele.  SD-E, SSA-E, and HSNM are all excellent choices.

I have experience with all the triggers above, and I think all of them are terrific upgrades to the mil spec trigger.

The above assumes you want a 2 stage trigger, which I would say is the most popular at least in my circles.

If you want single stage, the above still holds true, it's just a Larue MBT-1S and a Geissele SSP being compared instead.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 11:27:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

If you want cheap, get a LaRue MBT-2S. It's 90% as good as a Geissele and <50% the cost.

If you want the best, Get a Geissele.  SD-E, SSA-E, and HSNM are all excellent choices.

I have experience with all the triggers above, and I thing all of them are terrific upgrades to the mil spec trigger.

The above assumes you want a 2 stage trigger, which I would say is the most popular at least in my circles.

If you want single stage, the above still holds true, it's just a Larue MBT-1S and a Geissele SSP being compared instead.
View Quote

FPNI.  I prefer a SD-3G or SD-C.  Want to try the SSP

ETA: I like my TriggerTech too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI. +1 Geissele if cost is not an issue
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I really wanted the Geissele SD-C for my pistol build but after hearing so many good things about the LaRue MBT-2S, I ordered one, and for over $100 less than the Geissele.

If you go with Larue, get your order in as soon as possible. It took a month to get my straight bow trigger.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
There are a lot of Geissele lovers here. They're not bad IMO, but they're overrated. They've been around longer than pretty much everyone else in the trigger game, but they have yet to provide something the others can't provide. They're pretty much reliable as all hell though.

I recommend a Larue MBT 2s (two stage) because you don't need to spend TriggerTech money and you have a milspec with little to no experience with other products. PSA or Midwest also make drop-in triggers that are about the same price as the Larue and are single stage if that's what you prefer.

Big different between single stage vs two stage is that 1s usually has some to little pretravel/creep and then there's a break. 2s usually has a pre-travel that is intentional and usually greater than the creep of a 1s.  Once the 1st stage length has been pulled and you hit a "wall" which is called the second stage.  The second stage is a little more pull weight with a very clean break (usually). 2s are preferred for precision shooters because they are more predictable because of the 1st stage wall/2nd stage break while 1s is usually duty/competition. Milspec is 1s.

Hopefully this helps.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I have have Milspec, I have Gressele , I have the upgraded Milspec.

I would say if you want something better than Milspec,
Then go with a ALG. They make one better than milspec and one up from that that is chrome plated. I like the plated one, gives a cleaner trigger pull than Milspec.
Not alot of money.

On two of my guns that I wanted more accuracy out of ,I went with the cheapest gressele. I think they were the SSA.
Nice triggers, two stage, A bit more money.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:35:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Geissele SSA is what I would recommend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 4:18:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you want the best, get a Geissele.  SD-E, SSA-E, and HSNM are all excellent choices.

I have experience with all the triggers above, and I think all of them are terrific upgrades to the mil spec trigger.

View Quote

The above. If you want a drop-in, cassette style then the CMC is a very nice unit with options as far as pull weight, 1 or 2 stage, straight or curved triggers.

Price is midway between the Larue and higher-end G triggers.

They're currently on sale at PA and Joe Bob's.

The Hiperfire EDT triggers are nice too.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 7:47:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Much appreciated, guys!

Will look more into the LaRue trigger.

Any thoughts on the triggers from CMC? Their AR Duty Patrol Single Stage unit looks like something I might be interested in. Price doesn't seem too bad either.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 9:40:58 PM EDT
[#12]
HiperFire EDT triggers are great.  I've got all 3.  I like the Designated Marksman best of the 3 with Heavy Gunner a close 2nd.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Aftermarket-AR-15-Triggers-s/132846.htm#/filter:manufacturer:Hiperfire/rq:EDT

Joe Bob's has free shipping on orders over $90.  Also a 5% discount for 1st responders, Mil & Vets.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:20:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Wilson Combat TTU is the FINEST trigger available, bar none! Available in both single stage and two stage,
View Quote

That's a pretty bold claim with no metric to back it up...
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 8:35:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd agree

I personally don't see how any trigger could be better than the HSNM, but then again I've not tried every trigger on the market so I try to avoid specific superlatives.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fanboys don't usually use metrics.

Another good MILSPEC trigger option is the BCM PNT.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:42:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:46:21 PM EDT
[#18]
"Cassette" style drop ins like the CMC, those are made for fumble fingered idiots like me who can KIND OF figure out how things go together inside the box...? Looking at a PSA MOE lower to drop this in, and I see the MidwayUSA listing shows it coming with anti walk pins, too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:52:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
"Cassette" style drop ins like the CMC, those are made for fumble fingered idiots like me who can KIND OF figure out how things go together inside the box...? Looking at a PSA MOE lower to drop this in, and I see the MidwayUSA listing shows it coming with anti walk pins, too.
View Quote

One of the best 3 gun triggers I have shot is the Lantec/CMC trigger. Lantec had CMC tune the single action trigger for 3 gun. And the CMC 3.5 single stage is not a bad trigger for 3 gun. My main 3 gun rifle has had a Giselle 3 gun trigger in for over 8 years.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:57:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wilson Combat TTU is the FINEST trigger available, bar none! Available in both single stage and two stage,

He just forgot to ad "IMHO".  Most people forget that.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Geissele all the way, The Larue, while not a bad trigger is not 90% of a G trigger. Honestly the Scmhidt Tool 2 stage is a better buy and a better trigger than the Larue and probably 70% as good as a G trigger.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:59:02 PM EDT
[#22]
No metric...but after shooting quite a few high-dollar triggers over the years, all my ARs have Wilson TTU triggers in them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:09:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He just forgot to ad "IMHO".  Most people forget that.
View Quote

Never tried it, but that's how I feel about TriggerTech Diamond for precision.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 8:13:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Update: So I ended up going with the ALG Defense Advanced Combat Trigger. Some of the other options were a bit out of my price range. My son recently went with the ACT trigger in his AR, and I have to say, I like it! I think it'll work for what I'm looking for.

Thanks again to all those who responded!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top