Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:43:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DenverDave:
This is a great thread.  Thanks to the originator, very well done.  I have a SSA-E on my precision gun and really like it.  Next precision build I am keen to try the DMR or High Speed Rifle.  I have never dealt with an adjustable trigger so am a hesitant.

What are peoples thoughts on the LaRue MBT-25 trigger?  The specs seem like it is similar to the SSA in pull weight at each stage 2.5/2lbs.  Can anyone give a comparison of the two?   Or compare the LaRue to the SSA-E although the pull weights are different I am most familiar with the SSA-E

Thanks
View Quote

Same question here.  I'm between the MBT-2S and SSA, anyone have hands on experience with both?
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:48:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Originally Posted By bluelinespecial:
Same question here.  I'm between the MBT-2S and SSA, anyone have hands on experience with both?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bluelinespecial:

Originally Posted By DenverDave:

This is a great thread.  Thanks to the originator, very well done.  I have a SSA-E on my precision gun and really like it.  Next precision build I am keen to try the DMR or High Speed Rifle.  I have never dealt with an adjustable trigger so am a hesitant.

What are peoples thoughts on the LaRue MBT-25 trigger?  The specs seem like it is similar to the SSA in pull weight at each stage 2.5/2lbs.  Can anyone give a comparison of the two?   Or compare the LaRue to the SSA-E although the pull weights are different I am most familiar with the SSA-E

Thanks

I have an SD-C, S2S and a couple MBT's.

SD-C is the flat trigger variant of the SSA.  S2S is the pre-cursor to the G2S and feels like an SSA.

I think the MBT has a slightly better break than the SSA, pull weight is directly comparable.  Lock time is equivalent.  Material is S7 for both.  Both use full powered hammer springs.

I would get the MBT over the SSA.  If you want a better trigger, you pretty much have to jump up to the High Speed line from Geissele.

I posted more thoughts in this thread along with some of Mark's testing charts where you can see the pull weight graphed against distance traveled for a dozen MBT's and SSA's.

Link Posted: 2/22/2016 2:59:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an SD-C, S2S and a couple MBT's.    

SD-C is the flat trigger variant of the SSA.  S2S is the pre-cursor to the G2S and feels like an SSA.

I think the MBT has a slightly better break than the SSA, pull weight is directly comparable.  Lock time is equivalent.  Material is S7 for both.  Both use full powered hammer springs.

I would get the MBT over the SSA.  If you want a better trigger, you pretty much have to jump up to the High Speed line from Geissele.

I posted more thoughts in this thread along with some of Mark's testing charts where you can see the pull weight graphed against distance traveled for a dozen MBT's and SSA's.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/690757_LaRue_MBT.html

This is great, man. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 1:34:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ahrion] [#5]
I have a Geissele SD3G and Elftmann 3 Gun. I thought Geissele was one of the best until I bought my Elftmann. That thing is like 2 levels above quality than the SD3G, has a full strength spring and adjustable pull weight, zero creep out of the box, and doesn't need anti walk pins.

Why people don't have them and/or it's not included in this breakdown is insane. I wish I could let everyone touch mine because so they get what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 7:24:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:08:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By ahrion:

I have a Geissele SD3G and Elftmann 3 Gun. I thought Geissele was one of the best until I bought my Elftmann. That thing is like 2 levels above quality than the SD3G, has a full strength spring and adjustable pull weight, zero creep out of the box, and doesn't need anti walk pins.

Why people don't have them and/or it's not included in this breakdown is insane. I wish I could let everyone touch mine because so they get what I'm talking about.
View Quote

I have 4 Elfs. They are awesome triggers. I also have 2 Velocity triggers and they are very nice too. But the Elfs are my favorite of the two.

Here is an article that is about testing many of the current drop in offerings and even a Geissele (near the end of the article). It just came out last month. The tester/writer agrees with us that the Elfs are his favorite and he has tested most all of them out there from the looks of it.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-drop-in-trigger-roundup/

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 12:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The Hiperfire HIPERTOUCH 24E seems like a good contender! Rapid reset too.

Here's a review (video test included): http://www.doublefeedonline.com/hipertouch-24e/

Also has some install pix too ;)
Link Posted: 5/14/2016 10:02:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By calinetguns:

Here's a review (video test included): http://www.doublefeedonline.com/hipertouch-24e/

View Quote

For  $86 I've found their EDT to be a very good duty trigger w/user-selectable 4.5 & 5.5lb pull weights.
Tomac
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Still a very useful read - Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Thank you! This helped alot.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By calinetguns:

View Quote

I prefer the curved bow on a trigger. So I went with the HIPERFIRE 24 3G. Same operation as the 24C and 24Eclipse. Those last two have flat bows with their trigger shoe to locate your finger on the same spot every time. You get 3 sets of hammer assisting springs. Light, medium and heavier trigger pull. I went light. I'm blown away. Single stage trigger pull. About 1/16" pull and same reset. Measures 1.75 pounds on my scale. Couldn't be happier. I get them from Joe Bobs for about $215. Fast shipping and no tax makes it a winner. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have experience with the Timney Targa 2 stage triggers?  They offer a red and a blue version. Timney engineer said the red has a .55 travel, the blue .750. Looking for a hunting trigger and was set on a SSA-E till I ran across the Timneys.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 11:20:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Very nice.  There are some really nice triggers out there.

OP needs to add MBT, hyperfire, franklin, and fostech.  I bet there are many more.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 4:25:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I've been using the Black Rain Ordinance 3.5 lb drop in and I love it. Smooth, fast, and sexy as hell.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:38:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Just wanted to give my experience on my trigger upgrade, installed the BCM o gunfighter flash hider and the Timney ar 4lb single stage with skeleton trigger. Went to range today and my groups improved by a lot. Shot at 25 yards 20 shots size of golf ball all touching , 100 yards 40 shots size of softball using red dot aimpoint and wind was 15-20 mph . I was happy with the money spent $$ Rifle 16" barrel bushmaster xm-15 . I know there's more experienced shooters on here , I just wanted to let anyone on the fence about wether it's worth it, I highly recommend. I also shot 3 20 rnds mags for rapid fire with no problems. Federal bulk 55 grain fmj ammo
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone know when the Geissele SSP will be available?

The Super Speed Precision (SSP) is Geissele Automatics’ first true single-stage trigger for the AR platform. This drop-in trigger has no take up and a super clean break. -From their website

Has me very interested. I prefer single stage triggers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:28:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I've installed a couple of JP component triggers and I can't imagine wanting anything more.  For $120 plus $12 for a set of anti-walk pins I've got a trigger with zero take up (feels that way anyway even though I know there must be some), breaks at 3½ lbs at the tip, 4lbs in the middle, has a total trigger travel of 2mm, and breaks clean like a glass rod, every time.  I've tried some Elfmans at gun shows and I like them too but they're around twice the price of my JP.  For me, the smithing required to set up a JP was a bonus rather than a chore and I was rewarded for a little work with a very good trigger.

For those who have trouble removing the set screws:  Always use heat to release a screw properly installed with red Loctite or you'll most likely damage something metal trying to get it out. Not enough to change any tempering or surface treatment but enough to melt the Loctite so the fastener will come out.  Got my degree in this from dear ol' D'OH! U.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 10:15:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By CapnCrusty:
I've installed a couple of JP component triggers and I can't imagine wanting anything more.  For $120 plus $12 for a set of anti-walk pins I've got a trigger with zero take up (feels that way anyway even though I know there must be some), breaks at 3½ lbs at the tip, 4lbs in the middle, has a total trigger travel of 2mm, and breaks clean like a glass rod, every time.  I've tried some Elfmans at gun shows and I like them too but they're around twice the price of my JP.  For me, the smithing required to set up a JP was a bonus rather than a chore and I was rewarded for a little work with a very good trigger.

For those who have trouble removing the set screws:  Always use heat to release a screw properly installed with red Loctite or you'll most likely damage something metal trying to get it out. Not enough to change any tempering or surface treatment but enough to melt the Loctite so the fastener will come out.  Got my degree in this from dear ol' D'OH! U.
View Quote
FWIW, I just replaced the stock trigger on my JP 9mm carbine with a Hiperfire 24E, and am much happier with the new trigger setup.  Of course, as always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/6/2018 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up the Elftmann SE 3.5 pound single stage. I can't speak to longevity yet, but this thing is absolutely amazing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2018 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Bizarro:

Was searching triggers and found this odd bird
www.triggertech
View Quote
Who has time on this trigger? Good? Triggerscan data looks amazing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2018 8:29:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bravo5two] [#22]
Originally Posted By M15A2CLE:

View Quote
I just got the adjustable TriggerTech in the mail from Brownells yesterday.  First impression is that the machine work is beautiful!  Will do a quick comparison to my current Hiperfire 24C in a few days.  Link to the trigger https://triggertech.com/collections/firearms/products/adaptable-ar-primary-trigger

So far, my experience with after market triggers in the 12+ years span that I've been playing in the 3-gun games (only reason I got into looking for the 'holy grail' of single stage trigger):

1)  JP Modular Trigger (circa 2004-ish) - This is the very first 'cassette' type trigger unit that I'm aware of.  Mine is some of the first units rolled out from JP, its cassette is anodized red. CMC and Timney units came after.  I have about 8k rounds through and only a few hiccups with XM193 (hard primer issues).  Went back to JP for a short repair due to disconnector not releasing the hammer.  It is still amazing at 2# pull after all these years!

2) JP DIY components-type triggers - I have 4 of these match triggers and still consider them to be the best value.  You have to do a little bit of work to set them up precisely but once done, no take up, no creep, no overtravel, and 3.5# of glass rod like breaks.  Only word of caution, the yellow spring won't light up hard military primers (XM193) reliably. The red spring does but changes trigger pull to 4.5-5#.

3a) Timney 3.5 trigger - I still have 2, one in a 9mm and the other in a 5.7x28 dedicated lower.  Very good trigger.  Works well with my Colt 9mm so far, maybe a few hundred rounds.  These Timneys won't light up .22lr reliably but they never said GTG with .22 or 9mm.
3b) Timney 308 trigger - A bit too heavy for my taste, at 4.5# and it failed to light up PPU 7.62x51 reliably so it went onto a dedicated .22lr lower for 'grins-giggles' fun. Not worth the $ I spent on it.

4) CMC - Got one but really have not used much besides test firing.  Can't offer much information since it is not even broken in.

5) Hiperfire 24 C - One in my match 556 and the other in my match 308.  This is my go to trigger for reliable ignition @ super low pull weight. Both are at 2.5# when used with JP anti walk pins.  They are hard hitting and have lit up anything and everything I used, from match grade Remington 7-1/2 benchrest primers to old SA battlepacks 556 and 7.62x51.  They also flatten .22lr rims when I put the dedicated training upper on, 100% reliable.  Have not tried in 9mm yet but can't see why it would not work.

6) Miscellaneous 'cassette'-type triggers - JMT Saber, Rise Armament Sport, and Velocity, Test function and live fired but not enough rounds down range to render useful opinions  First impression is that they are similar to Timneys. JMT is on top of the heap right now using my trigger pull scale, 3.5# with just standard trigger pins.

7) Others - I have tried some 2-stage triggers (RRA, Ruger, Larue) but just couldn't develop a liking to these.  Latest unit is the Larue MBT.  It is in my 6.5 Grendel for fun but nothing more.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a couple JP Enterprises Triggers - end result is nice but installation can take awhile and requires adjusting set screws and such.  May not be ideal for a self defense rifle.

Recently have installed 3 different Hiperfire triggers.

The EDT was less than $60 delivered from AIM and is a nice trigger for the money.  I will likely upgrade most of my rifles with GI tiggers with these.

The 24E & 24 3G for $100 & 110 delivered from Brownells during recent sale were exceptionally nice.  I like that they provide a trigger about as light as the JP Enterprise but with extra power on the hammer.

Install on all of the Hiperfire tirggers is super easy with the EDT even providing slave pins for install.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By M15A2CLE:

View Quote
I have a several hundred plus rounds on my Triggertech.  It works well for me,  very smooth and great break. I like it enough that I'll be buying another Triggertech for my current precision build. I had bought two MBT's when trying out a bunch of triggers after reading reviews. Figured they may be a solid replacement to standardize all my precision rifles on at the time.  Tried one in my Grendel that didn't go 100 rounds before getting pulled and replaced with the Triggertech and sold, the other (MBT) sits in its packaging in a parts box.

Attachment Attached File

Even though I need another two stage trigger for my second Creedmoor build,  the MBT won't be used.  For my standard carbine and other build project; a 458 SOCOM, I'll look into other single stage offerings.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 5:47:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: martin_q] [#25]
Originally Posted By sublimeshooter:
Anyone know when the Geissele SSP will be available?
View Quote
Brownells has it in stock. Got mine there (ordered it in September, now the curved bow variant is available). Love it.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 6:15:23 PM EDT
[#26]
$87 MBT

I guess its been this way for several months, but LOLZ at the price.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 2:46:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Great read especially since I'm building my first AR. Thanks for doing the research.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:52:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Milazzo-Keieger MK-ii X
Everything any of the “G” triggers do, but
Cost less, and is the daddy of all 2 stages, in ar’s
Who’s your daddy?
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 12:41:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Does anyone have a comment on how well a Franklin Gen III binary trigger would work in a suppressed 9mm SBR? Currently it has a 5" barrel and standard carbine buffer and spring with 6 quarters at the base of the tube.
Link Posted: 7/21/2019 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Which the AR Gold trigger was included in this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#31]
I feel that my mill spec trigger is a little too far back towards the grip to be comfortable and its difficult to keep the ball of my finger centered on the trigger..  Are some triggers a little further forward and does this dimension have a term to describe it?

Thanks
-John
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:58:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#32]
Originally Posted By John_Dennis:
I feel that my mill spec trigger is a little too far back towards the grip to be comfortable and its difficult to keep the ball of my finger centered on the trigger..  Are some triggers a little further forward and does this dimension have a term to describe it?

Thanks
-John
View Quote

John, the location and shape of the trigger guard and the internal geometry of the trigger parts and the two holes in the AR lower used to mount them limit making any significant change in the location of the trigger shoe (the part your finger touches).  You might want to look at the trigger groups that have a straight (flat) or blade shaped shoe.  That eliminates the curve and has the effect of moving the pad of your finger a little bit more forward.

There are many styles.  Some just replace the mil spec part, others are complete trigger groups like this Elfmann.

Link Posted: 4/13/2021 2:23:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Unfortunately, you didn’t evaluate either one of my preferred triggers. For precision work, the Trigger Tech Diamond is almost impossible to beat. The Trigger Tech unit has no creep, no over travel, an incredibly small reset and a pull weight which can be adjusted down to 1.5 pounds.  The JARD non-adjustable trigger is my favorite for action style shooting. That trigger has a very smooth take up, a consistent pull weight of 2.5 pounds and and nominal over-travel/reset. It is an extremely smooth trigger and lends itself to fast shooting. The only problem with the JARD, is that it uses a standard configuration. This can result in differences in the trigger pull due to the location tolerances of the trigger/hammer pins.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Fantastic, unbiased review. I really appreciate it and I learned a lot.

Thank you
Link Posted: 10/28/2022 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#35]
nice write up.

Link Posted: 12/24/2022 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Very Good info!
Anyone out there with Franklin Armory Binary trigger experience? Installation? Function/Operation...on a Standard 16" AR .5.56 rifle?
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Just installed a SOLGW competition trigger. 4 pounds. Coated. Would love to hear anyone's experiences.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 10:31:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 8:08:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Gessele SSA-E X is my favorite, but I always put the Larue MBT-2S in everything I build because the SSA-E is not thatg much better for the giant price leap
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top