Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2021 2:05:18 PM EDT
I recently received a tool craft bcg that I feel the staking is a bit light on. I was hoping to get an opinion or two on whether it is satisfactory or not. The way things are right now I don't want to deal with returning it and trying to find another if it is sufficent. Thanks

" />
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I am not too picky about staking, but that looks really light.  Barely any material is moved

I would find someone with a MOACKS and just have them restake if you dont want to return.  Throw some OCKS screws in while you are at it
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Just test the reverse torque on it. Print gives a range it should take to remove it.  Honestly it looks fine.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like material has been smashed against the bolts? If so, it's probably fine.
I take a punch and double stake mine even if there's no real reason, just because. I've had gas keys loosen before, so I became a bit OCD about them. If the side staking is light like yours appears to be, I have a very large pair of dull wire cutters that I use to also pinch the staking deeper. If you're questioning the staking, I'd personally double stake them, just for piece of mind.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Be glad it doesn't look like this...

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Weak.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 5:58:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Be glad it doesn't look like this...

https://i.imgur.com/l17NmE5.jpg
View Quote

LMT?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks pretty underwhelming compared to what they used to put out.  It’s probably fine but as others stated, if you’re worried about it, get yourself some OCKS screws and a MOACKS jig and have a party.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LMT?
View Quote

Good memory.  

After two and half months, multiple outreaches and a final Overnight package (w/copies of all the outreaches) to Mr. Lewis (LMT CEO), LMT's Sales & Marketing Manager called me personally and was finally provided an RGA# last week...stay tuned.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Young, and some others, don’t even stake theirs. Granted, they are more of a match thing than a defensive thing, but I wouldn’t be thrilled with it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good memory.  

After two and half months, multiple outreaches and a final Overnight package (w/copies of all the outreaches) to Mr. Lewis (LMT CEO), LMT's Sales & Marketing Manager called me personally and was finally provided an RGA# last week...stay tuned.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMT?

Good memory.  

Nice!

Thought I recognized it. Glad you got it resolved.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Good memory.  

View Quote
What is the issue with it?  Not staked well enough or something cracked?
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What is the issue with it?  Not staked well enough or something cracked?
View Quote

Take a look at the pic...three of the four stakings are cracked and the fourth is missing altogether.  I'd say this BCG was prolly staked on a Friday @ 16:59:59.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#13]
You can not really tell from the picture what the height is but there is a max the staking should rise above the flat top surface of the key.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:57:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can not really tell from the picture what the height is but there is a max the staking should rise above the flat top surface of the key.
View Quote

Let's put it this way, when I went to clean my LMT and removed the BCG, the gas key was so loose that it sounded like a set of keys jingling...the screws had become so loose, the key itself was no longer flush with the BCG.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

.025"

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 3:41:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Good and informative stuff...thanks Tig.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:42:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys, think I'll build out a little jig and just restake it myself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:05:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Here's the result of my MOACKS attempt.  It's a nice tool to add to the stable.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#20]
I always just grind the top of the key off, down past the screw heads.  It only takes a couple minutes, and I don't have to worry about stripping hex keys.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:42:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Except you SHOULD have used ASTM A574 Socket Head Cap Screws.

NOT YFS Chinese screws https://i.imgur.com/MmeJxPy.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's the result of my MOACKS attempt.  It's a nice tool to add to the stable.

https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/NoWQ4xmes3TH67K/preview
https://nextcloud.firestarter.info/s/TsB8CMXdmyrbmik/preview

Except you SHOULD have used ASTM A574 Socket Head Cap Screws.

NOT YFS Chinese screws https://i.imgur.com/MmeJxPy.png

Yeah I learned about that after the fact but that's what came with the Fail Zero gas key so that's what I used.

I need to order a 100-pack of the OCKS screws to have around.  When I die there will still be 98 of them left most likely
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Repeated over and over and incorrect. They clearly state where they are located in Taiwan and what standard they produce fasteners to on their web site.

From the site
YFS products are manufactured from high tensile Alloy Steel, Class 12.9 and ASTM A574 for industrial machinery, electric appliances, automotive vehicles and may other industrial products. YFS offers the highest quality fastener in the World, meeting all the manufacturing standards globally.
View Quote

The linked article explains the difference you can encounter in screws made to some ISO standards from places like Europe and now the US maybe. Last two pages deals with the differences.
https://www.unbrakousa.com/images/pdf/fastener_facts.pdf
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:24:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Repeated over and over and incorrect. They clearly state where they are located in Taiwan and what standard they produce fasteners to on their web site.

From the site

The linked article explains the difference you can encounter in screws made to some ISO standards from places like Europe and now the US maybe. Last two pages deals with the differences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From the site
YFS products are manufactured from high tensile Alloy Steel, Class 12.9 and ASTM A574 for industrial machinery, electric appliances, automotive vehicles and may other industrial products. YFS offers the highest quality fastener in the World, meeting all the manufacturing standards globally.

Interesting read....thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top