Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2023 12:51:03 PM EDT
I've come asking for expert opinions on whether to SBR this or not. Here is what I have. I just bought a PSA 10.5 upper, which I love, don't judge me. Here is my dilemma and questions.
The only lower I have is from a complete 16" rifle build from Del-Ton which has probably been classified with a rifle lower.
I don't have a pistol brace and also not sure where the outcome of braces is going anyway.
The cost of a "other" complete lower plus the cost of a brace is more than the $200 tax stamp.

1. Can I SBR a lower classified as a rifle or should I?
2. Would you SBR a Del-Ton lower since it is a budget AR even though everyone says a lower is a lower?
3. Is there anything really wrong in doing an SBR? I'm not of the mind where I think the government is going to come and take my guns.
4. I don't mind paying for a new lower and pistol brace even it is more than the tax stamp. I have never shouldered an AR with a brace so I don't know how that feels compared to a real stock? Especially since you are not supposed to shoulder them anyway (wink,wink).

Any advice is appreciated. Let me know what you think even if it might be harsh. I'm a big boy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can SBR a rifle. Pistol braces are okay to shoot from the shoulder, especially the SBA3. Any stock will be more comfortable , though. “Technically” you can’t take a rifle lower and make it a pistol, but you can do the reverse. No one would probably have any way of knowing, just FYI. IMO, with all the nonsense going on, an SBR lower is not a bad idea.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:06:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BhamAR] [#2]
Above response is correct, can absolutely make it an SBR, just can’t make it a pistol.

As for my $0.02.

I refused to take a free SBR lower.

I had one when the nonsense started, now I have two SBR lowers.

I’m not trusting where anything is going with the brace ban & I wasn’t gonna trust govt on the free tax stamp either.  $200 just wasn’t worth the possibility of headaches down the road as the ATF continues to become more politically dominated.

I felt like an actual paid tax stamp gave me more insulation from the drama of both the free tax stamp & the pistol brace fiasco.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not registering shit!  Ever!  

If you bought a complete rifle, the lower must remain so.  I would buy a stripped lower and put a carbine tube on it.  Then you have a legal pistol.  You can pick up a brace for <$50, they shoulder the same as a stock although some have less surface area than others.  On a low recoiling caliber like 5.56 or 300 blk I don't even notice the difference.

I don't see gov't going door to door confiscating guns, but I can see them sending out a letter saying you have x amount of time to surrender your registered firearm(s).
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#4]
If you don't own a striped lower or a pistol lower, and have that upper - you currently are at risk of Intent To Build Illegal SBR, by just having all the parts - just so you know.  And you now have a digital trail.

The good news is nobody cares - or will enforce that if that's all you've got going on.  But just pointing that out.

As to SBR, my own suggestion is to just go buy a cheap stripped lower and lower kit with an armbrace.  Run that for the next 3 years, and worry about SBR after it works its way all the way to USSC.  That said, if your plan is to make youtube videos shoulder firing it, then you probably should SBR.  And yes, SBR with real stock is better than an armbrace, if that's the long term plan anyway.  You can convert rifle or pistol into SBR, but with a pistol, you can effectively run it with an armbrace while the paper is being processed.

Stripped lowers can be had for $50 or less, so why not?
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 1:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By deltondude:
I've come asking for expert opinions on whether to SBR this or not. Here is what I have. I just bought a PSA 10.5 upper, which I love, don't judge me. Here is my dilemma and questions.
The only lower I have is from a complete 16" rifle build from Del-Ton which has probably been classified with a rifle lower.
I don't have a pistol brace and also not sure where the outcome of braces is going anyway.
The cost of a "other" complete lower plus the cost of a brace is more than the $200 tax stamp.

2. Would you SBR a Del-Ton lower since it is a budget AR even though everyone says a lower is a lower?
3. Is there anything really wrong in doing an SBR? I'm not of the mind where I think the government is going to come and take my guns.
4. I don't mind paying for a new lower and pistol brace even it is more than the tax stamp. I have never shouldered an AR with a brace so I don't know how that feels compared to a real stock? Especially since you are not supposed to shoulder them anyway (wink,wink).

Any advice is appreciated. Let me know what you think even if it might be harsh. I'm a big boy.
View Quote

You're over thinking things.

1. Submit a eForm 1 on the ATF's site.

2. Wait a little while for approval.

3. Get email from ATF. Print out your tax stamp.

4. Remove rifle upper from your Del-Ton lower, and install your 10.5" PSA upper.

What's wrong with the stock currently on your AR? Unless it's an A1 or A2 I don't see a need in changing it out.

I've heard you shouldn't have short barrel components in your house unless you already have a SBR AR. Intent to build is what I think the ATF call it.

SBR's are most cool. I've made 3 from pistols, and 5 from rifles.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#6]

You can SBR a rifle.
You can SBR a pistol.
You can SBR a tree turnk.
What it was before is not a big deal when you're "making" an SBR.
(note - weird state laws may still apply, like an SBR can't be EVIL unless the original firearm was pre-ban, etc)
If it's solid, it runs well, everything seems to be in-spec, and you plan on keeping it 'for a while', go for it.
You never know what the gov is going to pull out of it's ass next. My view is that each SBR you make is another nibble on the "in common use" standard the Supreme Court likes to reference. Oh, yeah - if you want to travel with a short rifle you'll want to know what a 5320.20 is.
IMHO, most brace designs are either bulky & awkward or minimalist designs that are only an ATF re-evaluation away from suddenly being a stock. Pragmatically, that leaves you two options. SBR your existing lower, or buy/build/aquire another lower and register one of them. Having two complete rifles instead of a rifle and an accessory bag is nice. You're still going to be adding optics and accessories to the new upper, so it's basically a question of how much additional money you are comfortable spending. Personally, I'd recommend running a new lower for a while to make sure it works and you like it before efiling.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Yes. The traditional way for an individual to make a SBR is to cut down the barrel on a rifle, although putting a stock on a pistol has a long history too.

View Quote

If it's reliable and you like it, I don't think the brand matters. In some ways, it can make more sense to SBR a budget lower, since you have to engrave it. A budget AR has no collectible value that would be reduced by engraving it, unlike a vintage Colt or Armalite, for example.

View Quote

Some people think so but I think it's not that different from registering a dirt bike or dune buggy if you want to drive it on the street.

Link Posted: 12/24/2023 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Some people think so but I think it's not that different from registering a dirt bike or dune buggy if you want to drive it on the street.
View Quote

Well, 213 representatives, 51 senators, and the POTUS don't GAS about your dirt bike or dune buggy
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The biggest downside to a SBR is interstate travel. But it’s easy to take a stock off, put a brace on, and it’s no longer an SBR. This is why I keep a couple of braces around.
Link Posted: 12/24/2023 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
I'm not registering shit!  Ever!  
View Quote

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I’m not signing up for a registry. I’ll continue using my braced pistol. If they all out ban braces then I’ll put a padded sleeve on the tube. Fuck them and their mandatory registration and grace period to register. I know they can track down and try to find my 4473 but that’s all they’ve got.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 2:46:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Luny421:
The biggest downside to a SBR is interstate travel. But it’s easy to take a stock off, put a brace on, and it’s no longer an SBR. This is why I keep a couple of braces around.
View Quote

Or just file a 5320.20.

I've done it numerous times, usually get the approved form snail mailed to me in about a week to 10 days.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 8:25:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By wood714:
Or just file a 5320.20.

I've done it numerous times, usually get the approved form snail mailed to me in about a week to 10 days.
View Quote

Same…

I have two SBRs and a SBS that I put on 5320.20s for the few states I’d likely go to. Due to the way our training schedules work, I do them each fiscal year.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 10:32:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I just SBR’d my Stag lower, approved in 14 days.
I do have two 80%/ finished lowers and will likely SBR one of them.
I’m in CT and all mine have been registered with the state since 2013.
If you’re not afraid of the man taking your guns, I see no downside.
I will be traveling/transporting it for classes and events in NH and I understand the form 5320.20 is easy to get approved to legally transport.

Just depends on if you are afraid of the man. LOL
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:28:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Screwball:
Same
I have two SBRs and a SBS that I put on 5320.20s for the few states I'd likely go to. Due to the way our training schedules work, I do them each fiscal year.
View Quote
Similar -I have about a dozen I email in every year to cover my expected travels.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:00:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Just depends on if you are afraid of the man. LOL
View Quote

Afraid?  I don't think that is the correct sentiment.  Happenings in WA, IL, OR, NJ, etc, etc, etc, should open eyes but whatever.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 1:19:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Might as well buy another lower and SBR it.  Everyone should have at least one SBR.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 5:32:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By m6z:
Might as well buy another lower and SBR it.  Everyone should have at least one SBR.
View Quote

Once they are removed from the NFA, I would agree.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#18]
WhIle I have a dozen sbrs.... id say get atleast one.  I wouldn't worry about the roll marks.  Only thing I'd say is make sure it's an actual metal lower.  None of those plastic lowers.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:19:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Luny421] [#19]

Same…

I have two SBRs and a SBS that I put on 5320.20s for the few states I’d likely go to. Due to the way our training schedules work, I do them each fiscal year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Or just file a 5320.20.

Same…

That’s my point. I’m not filing paperwork to cross a state line. I have SBRs but I just slap a brace on them for travel.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 11:34:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
If you don't own a striped lower or a pistol lower, and have that upper - you currently are at risk of Intent To Build Illegal SBR, by just having all the parts - just so you know.  And you now have a digital trail.

The good news is nobody cares - or will enforce that if that's all you've got going on.  But just pointing that out.

As to SBR, my own suggestion is to just go buy a cheap stripped lower and lower kit with an armbrace.  Run that for the next 3 years, and worry about SBR after it works its way all the way to USSC.  That said, if your plan is to make youtube videos shoulder firing it, then you probably should SBR.  And yes, SBR with real stock is better than an armbrace, if that's the long term plan anyway.  You can convert rifle or pistol into SBR, but with a pistol, you can effectively run it with an armbrace while the paper is being processed.

Stripped lowers can be had for $50 or less, so why not?
View Quote
The whole "constructive intent" always struck me as weird because you never see it with SBS where someone owns a hacksaw.
Link Posted: 12/26/2023 1:31:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Spiffums:
The whole "constructive intent" always struck me as weird because you never see it with SBS where someone owns a hacksaw.
View Quote

The whole idea is bullshit.  If you have a legal rifle and a legal pistol, you are 30 seconds away, from an unregistered SBR.  Pop 2 pins and swap the uppers.

There is no law that dictates the order in which you are allowed to purcahce components for a build.

Link Posted: 12/26/2023 8:16:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Luny421:
That’s my point. I’m not filing paperwork to cross a state line. I have SBRs but I just slap a brace on them for travel.
View Quote

Doesn’t work in every situation… especially firearms that were always rifles to begin with.

But end of the day… you do you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 8:49:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#23]
View Quote

It's been posted 87 million times........no such animal as "constructive intent". The term is "constructive possession", meaning you have no possible lawful configuration of the firearm other than as an SBR.

Anyone who told you about "muh hacksaw" should be ignored.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

It's been posted 87 million times........no such animal as "constructive intent". The term is "constructive possession", meaning you have no possible lawful configuration of the firearm other than as an SBR.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

I don't think most are even aware of how it gets applied. I still think I've only seen one case mentioned and it was a bust where they found the lower and upper sitting right next to each other with basically no way for it to be a coincidence. It would be like having your AR broken open with an auto sear right next to it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:27:37 PM EDT
[#25]

4. Remove rifle upper from your Del-Ton lower, and install your 10.5" PSA upper.

What's wrong with the stock currently on your AR? Unless it's an A1 or A2 I don't see a need in changing it out.

I've heard you shouldn't have short barrel components in your house unless you already have a SBR AR. Intent to build is what I think the ATF call it.

View All Quotes

Not even then. Full-stocked SBRs/MGs are very functional unless you absolutely need the smallest footprint.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top