Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2021 6:21:52 PM EDT
Time for some fist a cuff action, on some topics that always gets the blood pumping, and the insults flying.

Damage to rifling - practically impossible with a carbon rod and all bronze brush, or just a flick of the wrist away from needing a new barrel?

Personally, I lean towards the former.  With a carbon rod and all bronze jags / brushers, isn't that so much softer than rifling that it's like trying to scratch glass with your fingernails?  Now with those foolish 3 piece steel rods we used in the Army - yes you could damage the rifling.  

Direction of cleaning - old wives tale, or subject of vital importance?

Again, I lean towards the former, if using a good rod and bronze tools.  Since I don't think you can damage the steel rifling with such softer gear, I don't think it matters which end you clean from.  I also move the brush in and out of the bore - no bothering with taking it off after a pass, like I've seen some claim.  

Pull patch back in, or might as well put dirt in it?

Some folks make a big deal about only running the patch in once.  For me, if I'm using a slotted jag for whatever reason (like the barrel is long I can't push the jag far enough to get the patch out with the length of rod I have (that's what she said!!)), I just pull it back out again, and horror of horrors, that dirty patch is going back through the barrel.  But most of the crud stays on the patch, and if any does go back on the bore, it'll come up with the next few patches.

So for me:

If it's a short barrel like on a pistol, just for GP, I'll clean chamber to bore, and pull the brush back through the barrel.  Then with patches, use a solid jag, and push them through, flip the patch over, and push them through again on the cleaner side.

But for rifles, such as AR's, I'll clean them muzzle to chamber as it's easier to have the end of the barrel sticking off the bench and run the patch in that way.  Use a slotted jag as with the small 22 cal bore, and a flash hider, I can't center a patch to be able to push a solid jag onto it.  Brush and patch both ways.

What says ya?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm probably going to get hate mail and on top of that I sold all my rifles recently so I'm down to just 1 and only 1 with 1 spare barrel.

But... here's how I clean my rifles.... with a 3 piece Colt cleaning kit from a NOS 1960s era USGI kit. I bought a couple of the rods and the adapter to use the new threads. I use a bore guide, and I go to town with a brass brush and punch. I use a bore camera, and the rifling and everything looks very new and good to go.

So my thought is this.... if you use a bore guide, it doesn't matter what sort of rod you use as long as the bore can remain center. The problem is when you push a rod in, it bends at some point. The bore guide will help the flex and keep it straight so you can push evenly through one end.

Without a bore guide, I never PUSH but PULL through the bore. I drop the rod in from chamber, and pull it out the muzzle.

So my thought:

PUSH... use a bore guide.

PULL... just a rod.

And you'll never damage the rifle minus playing it like a violin at a concert.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Why do you use what I assume is a steel rod, instead of a carbon fiber rod, which maybe costs 30 bucks?

With a carbon rod, would you have to worry about push / pull, or just go to town either way, as I don't see how a carbon fiber rod is going to wear on steel rifling.  Plus not having to guide it in with a bore guide.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:47:49 AM EDT
[#3]
fishing line with grit on it will cut a ceramic eye, point being anything you do including nothing can damage a bore.

I use a coated dewy rod with bore guide patches go one direction, bronze brush both directions. Pay attention to what you are doing and the possibility of damage goes to near zero.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:00:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I have carbon rods after bending a few Dewey rods. I work them in either direction as the situation requires.  I don't use a bore guide, but I did add a rubber beaker stopper up against the metal handle connection to prevent damage to the crown.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Harpoon the hell out of it.  

If it’s a chrome lined AR barrel, it doesn’t care.

Stainless match barrel?  Use whatever witchcraft suits you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#6]
My question is this. Why are you having to run any rod through a bore enough to actually damage it?

Seriously it does amuse me that we humans seem to love overly complicating things. And Yes, I've BTDT.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top