Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A standard upper works with the ejection port opened a bit
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Postezd By JwbTower:
What stripped upper do I use with the 45 BCG & Barrel package. On your website it mentions using the correct upper, but I'm not seeing the correct one. Does it just have an enlarged opening?
Thanks
I bought a MkGs T and I really like it.  But I would like to build something more custom to my likes.  I plan on getting the CMMG barrel/BCG and the CMMG lower.  I have found a 5.56 side charger upper that I like.  It has the M4 ramps, forward assist and dust cover.  Would this work OK with my build?  I'm ready to get building. :-)

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/27/2017 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I bought a MkGs T and I really like it.  But I would like to build something more custom to my likes.  I plan on getting the CMMG barrel/BCG and the CMMG lower.  I have found a 5.56 side charger upper that I like.  It has the M4 ramps, forward assist and dust cover.  Would this work OK with my build?  I'm ready to get building. :-)

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Postezd By JwbTower:
What stripped upper do I use with the 45 BCG & Barrel package. On your website it mentions using the correct upper, but I'm not seeing the correct one. Does it just have an enlarged opening?
Thanks

Thanks
I plan on doing the same.  I ordered a 9mm lower, the bcg/barrel and weight set.  I already have a upper I figured I would try it first.  Watching youtube videos I can see where they milled the upper ejection port area in front of the dust cover detent catch.  Pictured below

I will be running a knights urx4 10.75” rail with the 8.5” barrel and run my tirant 45 suppressor until my omega 9k gets transfered and sits in jail for a year . I also bought a sb pdw brace.  It will cost more than a complete factory built gun but I already had a bunch of parts.  I got notice today everything should ship mid December.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 12:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:... I ordered a 9mm lower, the bcg/barrel and weight set.  I already have a upper I figured I would try it first.  Watching youtube videos I can see where they milled the upper ejection port area in front of the dust cover detent catch.  Pictured below

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DOklIZaWkAALQSa.jpg

View Quote
So, that one and a half inches or so at the beginning top of the ejection port area?  That's all?

Would that allow for the 9 mm slick side uppers with the small (in length) ejection port areas to work?  CMMG?

A slick sided upper would be something.  I can see a lot of barrels/BCG/lowers being sold.  What would be the package part number for that? ;-)

Would we really need a dust cover and forward assist?
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:07:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:What would be the package part number for that? ;-)

Would we really need a dust cover and forward assist?
View Quote
Who would buy an AR without a dust cover? Are we trying to save 75 cents?

And the working forward assist is a feature that puts this ahead of all other 9mm ARs.

I'd like to see a gas shield though...
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 3:00:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Now I see how I missed the delayed radial blowback info...never realized that's what this thread was about!

Any pics showing what the non-business end of the 9mm barrel looks like?  Is it just like a regular DI barrel but chambered for 9mm?
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:  Who would buy an AR without a dust cover? Are we trying to save 75 cents?

And the working forward assist is a feature that puts this ahead of all other 9mm ARs.

I'd like to see a gas shield though...
View Quote
To be fair to the other 9x19mm ARs, they're mass-delayed blowback (straight blowback), and don't need a forward assist.

Plenty of ARs have been sold w/o a dust cover in recent years to meet a price point, and the average user doesn't really need a dust cover.  In a year of selling guns, I think I met 2 customers who actually needed a dust cover for their AR usage.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I was able to take out my CMMG Guard 9mm and .45 today.  I shot them both with and without suppressors.  Factory Winchester white box and my loads using VV N320 powder.  It's pretty much a toss up.  They both are plenty quiet.  The 9mm is slightly quieter to the shooters ear but my 9mm can is much better than my .45.  The recoil on both were very mild.  The 9mm was a tad faster/sharper but less than the .45.  The .45 was slower but more push if that makes any sense.  To be honest I like the .45 a little better but if I had bought only the 9mm I would be completely happy.  The fact that the 9 uses factory Glock 33 round mags is certainly one advantage.  The Kriss extensions work for the .45 but require a slight mod to the factory glock 21 mag.  The SGM .45 mags worked the one time I tried them but I need to use them more before I call them reliable.  The .45 I had refinished in 80% burnt bronze and 20% black after I had it engraved to SBR.

Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

To be fair to the other 9x19mm ARs, they're mass-delayed blowback (straight blowback), and don't need a forward assist.

Plenty of ARs have been sold w/o a dust cover in recent years to meet a price point, and the average user doesn't really need a dust cover.  In a year of selling guns, I think I met 2 customers who actually needed a dust cover for their AR usage.
View Quote
In other words... Yes, we are actually trying to save $0.75 and no, you would not tap dat.

RGR, got it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 9:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Did the .45 come with the gas shield installed, or did you add it?

I was wondering if there was some reason it was not included in the new 9mm Guard (I never paid any attention to the old one)- like spring ejection happens further back in the cycle than fixed ejection?

It would appear not...
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 10:35:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Did the .45 come with the gas shield installed, or did you add it?

I was wondering if there was some reason it was not included in the new 9mm Guard (I never paid any attention to the old one)- like spring ejection happens further back in the cycle than fixed ejection?

It would appear not...
View Quote
I put it on the .45 when I bought it because like you (I believe) I am a lefty.  Every .45 carbine I have ever shot suppressed has had blow back so I thought I would need it.  With my reloads and some of the factory I have shot it is absolutely not needed.  When I was putting my .45 back together after cerakote I contemplated not putting it back on but it does not hurt anything so I used it again.  The 9mm I picked up yesterday and it is bone stock other than the muzzle device.  I took the flash hider off and put a 3 lug adapter so I could suppress it easily.  I had no blow back with the 9mm today either and don’t think it needs it.  It would not hurt anything and the parts are cheap and easy to add though.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I put it on the .45 when I bought it because like you (I believe) I am a lefty.  
View Quote
Yes, I'm a lefty and I run suppressed a lot.

CMMG- since you are already making your own style of gas shield (I think?), it would be cool if you offered one (as an accessory) that used maybe 90% of the original port door instead of 60%.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:16:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was able to take out my CMMG Guard 9mm and .45 today.  I shot them both with and without suppressors.  Factory Winchester white box and my loads using VV N320 powder.  It's pretty much a toss up.  They both are plenty quiet.  The 9mm is slightly quieter to the shooters ear but my 9mm can is much better than my .45.  The recoil on both were very mild.  The 9mm was a tad faster/sharper but less than the .45.  The .45 was slower but more push if that makes any sense.  To be honest I like the .45 a little better but if I had bought only the 9mm I would be completely happy.  The fact that the 9 uses factory Glock 33 round mags is certainly one advantage.  The Kriss extensions work for the .45 but require a slight mod to the factory glock 21 mag.  The SGM .45 mags worked the one time I tried them but I need to use them more before I call them reliable.  The .45 I had refinished in 80% burnt bronze and 20% black after I had it engraved to SBR.

https://i.imgur.com/h8ZYPlg.jpg?1
View Quote
What mod is needed for the Glock mags / kriss extension?
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What mod is needed for the Glock mags / kriss extension?
View Quote
When you pull the Glock mag base plate off, remove the spring and follower look at the mag from the bottom.  The bottom of the mag has a flat bottom rightly so to hold the base plate flat.  Issue is that flat bottom on the inside of the mag will likely hang up on the follower as it comes up past that point with the Kriss extension on it.  All I did is take a dremel with a round sanding drum and bevel that inside 90 degree surface.  A flat file would work also just take a little longer.  You just want to knock that surface down so the follower will not hang.  When I put my first one together before the mod I could not understand why when I was testing loads it worked great but when I loaded it to capacity it kept hanging then it dawned on me with more rounds the follower goes below the stock Glock length, duh...

Anyway, I have 4 of these now and they work flawless with that slight mod.  I realize this is one of those easier to see than explain with words.  If the above does not make sense I will take one apart this weekend and snap a few pictures.
Link Posted: 12/6/2017 11:46:58 PM EDT
[#16]
CMMG

Really wish you would sell the stripped Guard lower receiver to us here in California.  It can legally be made in to a "featureless" California legal rifle even with the proprietary magazine release.  When built as a "featureless" legal rifle it does not need any type of magazine lock.    I would have bought a 9mm and .45 stripped lower already as would many of my friends and colleagues.  Don't be scared of California CMMG we love our guns too.  Too bad....
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
CMMG

Really wish you would sell the stripped Guard lower receiver to us here in California.  It can legally be made in to a "featureless" California legal rifle even with the proprietary magazine release.  When built as a "featureless" legal rifle it does not need any type of magazine lock.    I would have bought a 9mm and .45 stripped lower already as would many of my friends and colleagues.  Don't be scared of California CMMG we love our guns too.  Too bad....
View Quote
CMMG does sell lower groups on-line. https://www.cmmginc.com/product/lower-receiver-assembly-mkg/
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#18]
For those that have one, do you recommend sticking with the H1 buffer and a regular carbine spring, or using some different combination of heavier buffer or XP spring?
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

CMMG does sell lower groups on-line. https://www.cmmginc.com/product/lower-receiver-assembly-mkg/
View Quote
Tyger0740,

Not to California they don't.  Already tried
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:52:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For those that have one, do you recommend sticking with the H1 buffer and a regular carbine spring, or using some different combination of heavier buffer or XP spring?
View Quote
I have a 9mm Guard.  It comes with a mil-spec 3.0 oz carbine buffer (not an H1) and a carbine spring.  The buffer is not extended length.  There is not enough room with the BCG.  The only thing I did was replace the buffer spring with a flat one.  I tested and sighted it in and took it to a match (PCC) the next day.  Excellent performance.  Not one malfunction since I have had it.  Soft shooting.

With the BCG design I don't see why you would want to go with a heavier buffer than comes with their guns.

[Disclaimer: I don't have the .45 version]
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
CMMG

View Quote
There are plenty of on-line dealers for CMMG.  If they can sell to Cali residents, you should be able to buy from them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Waiting on my Guard 9mm barrel and BCG to arrive.
Have a plan to be able to feed it with Colt-pattern mags from a mag block.
It should be much lighter and less recoil than my current blowback setup.
I can hardly wait...
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:38:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can hardly wait...
View Quote
I'm anxious to see what you come up with.  Please post pictures.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 7:41:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I can hardly wait...
View Quote
Looking forward to seeing how you make it work with the Colt mags!
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 11:55:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Looking forward to seeing how you make it work with the Colt mags!
View Quote
Well, using a 5.56 BCG as a stand-in, it clears the AMM mag block feed ramp once the ejector is removed.
The mag needs to sit about .100" lower so the bolt lugs pass between the feed lips. Will modify the catch slot to let it sit lower.
Hand-testing shows no feed problems.
The front of the CPD mag follower had to be rounded so as not catch the back of the bolt lugs when empty.
I'll re- check once the parts get here, cut a mag and test.
Provably gonna cut the barrel to 5 to 6 inches.
Will get some pics and video.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 12:01:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The mag needs to sit about .100" lower so the bolt lugs pass between the feed lips. Will modify the catch slot to let it sit lower.
View Quote
So you're planning to have all your rounds ride the ramp hard?

That's a bold move, Cotton...
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So you're planning to have all your rounds ride the ramp hard?

That's a bold move, Cotton...
View Quote
Well,
We'll see if it works or not.
The feed geometry looks ok and it strips and feeds rounds easily.
Obviously,  the bolt can't close all the way in my testing so far.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Well,
Obviously,  the bolt can't close all the way in my testing so far.
View Quote
I've been doing similar testing myself.  I had an old Promag block that I ground down the 'walls' of the feed ramp and opened up the back of the mag lips to help with clearance but also need to lower the mag as well (same issues of bolt snagging on follower).  Looks promising though!
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 8:59:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Definitely let us know how it works out.

One issue that may effect you is that all 9mm Blowback ARs have a moment in time during cycling where the round is free of control- either the lips or the extractor claw- and not-yet-in-the-chamber.

5.56 rounds are entering the chamber as the case rim clears the lips.
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:43:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Definitely let us know how it works out.

One issue that may effect you is that all 9mm Blowback ARs have a moment in time during cycling where the round is free of control- either the lips or the extractor claw- and not-yet-in-the-chamber.

5.56 rounds are entering the chamber as the case rim clears the lips.
View Quote
It's working so far in my mockup tests.
Now, if my parts would hurry up and get here...
Link Posted: 12/18/2017 12:53:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

It's working so far in my mockup tests.
Now, if my parts would hurry up and get here...
View Quote
FWIW, I contacted CMMG last Monday about the 9mm kits and they said it would be "2 weeks or less".  Hoping they ship later this week.
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 10:09:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

FWIW, I contacted CMMG last Monday about the 9mm kits and they said it would be "2 weeks or less".  Hoping they ship later this week.
View Quote
No shipping update from them yet...
Link Posted: 12/20/2017 2:40:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Really?  I just got a UPS shipment notification today.  I ordered mine about 4 weeks ago.
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 8:45:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Parts arrived today.
Everything fit as expected.
Cut mag catch notch .080" higher.
Rounds feed like butter.
LRBHO functions as expected.
Need to live-fire test...
Link Posted: 12/22/2017 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Parts arrived today.
Rounds feed like butter.
View Quote
Super interested in this.  I'd love to have a summary/diagram of the steps needed too make this work.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:36:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Super interested in this.  I'd love to have a summary/diagram of the steps needed too make this work.
View Quote
The best way to make it work is to buy the CMMG lower too.  That's what I decided after buying the rifle and seeing the engineering they put into it to make it reliable.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The best way to make it work is to buy the CMMG lower too.  That's what I decided after buying the rifle and seeing the engineering they put into it to make it reliable.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course, that's the path of least resistance.
I already have standard lowers registered as SBRs and select-fire lowers with standard magwells.
The blowback system worked but had more weight and recoil so I wanted to use the Radial Delyed system.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:43:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I already have standard lowers registered as SBRs and select-fire lowers with standard magwells.
The blowback system worked but had more weight and recoil so I wanted to use the Radial Delyed system.
View Quote
I am in the same boat.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:37:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Parts arrived today.
Rounds feed like butter.
View Quote
Awesome!  Looking forward to seeing how it shoots!
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:17:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am in the same boat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in the same boat.
Same same.

At this point if I want a new caliber upper that isn't blowback I contact Rudy or Ron Williams and have them do one in DI that'll work with an existing SBR'd lower.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:21:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Same same.

At this point if I want a new caliber upper that isn't blowback I contact Rudy or Ron Williams and have them do one in DI that'll work with an existing SBR'd lower.
View Quote
Thought about that but, apparently, the 9mm DI is very ammo senitive.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:01:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same same.

9mm DI is very ammo sensitive.  Commercial loads are just too dirty to work reliably in DI/piston guns.  Reloads work much better however.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Anyone have a picture of the guard feed ramps going into the barrel?

Would be interested in seeing a good picture.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#44]

Finally got a new image host...
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Anyone have a picture of the guard feed ramps going into the barrel?

Would be interested in seeing a good picture.
View Quote
Look at an M4 and you will see what you want.  There are no feed ramps as such, it is a bolt carrier group, like an M4.  The lugs on the barrel look like they have a sight machining to accommodate the chambering.  When you buy the barrel, you get the "ramps".

I have a Guard 9mm rifle complete and after I tested everything I bought a barrel, BCG and lower to build a pistol.  While I highly recommend using their lower, there are others that are using their lowers (because of SBR?) and having success.  They have to work around overseating the mag (need mag stop) and LRBHO.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks for the pictures but it doesn't show the barrel extension and feed ramps. I don't think it's the same as a M4, maybe modified like the bolt. That's what I'm curious about.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:21:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pictures but it doesn't show the barrel extension and feed ramps. I don't think it's the same as a M4, maybe modified like the bolt. That's what I'm curious about.
View Quote
The barrel extension is the same as an M4.  There might be an ever so slight bevel on the middle lug but you'd never know by quick glance.  When compared to say, an RMW or Macon Armory barrel, it's very obvious...both of those have a defined 'ramp' that was created by milling down the center lug.  The Guard does not.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 4:50:33 PM EDT
[#48]
IT must be ground down some because I'm running their lower with a similar modification to the bolt and it's jam city in a standard M4 Barrel extension. Pictures would help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 5:15:11 PM EDT
[#49]
I'll try to take a picture tonight.

Can you describe your setup a little more?  You're using a Guard lower with a modified (non-CMMG) bolt and barrel?
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top