Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2018 12:04:05 PM EDT
I'm currently in the process of scoping out parts for an A2 build and to my surprise (not really), finding certain parts is not as easy as your typical run of the mill AR15 parts these days. The first AR style rifle I ever handled was a beat up A2 back in 2006 when I went through USAF basic. Scored marksman at 47/50, and immediately fell in love with the rifle. I want to build one as a nostalgia piece that I can have fun shooting. I did buy the Aero A4 upper and lower a couple years ago when they came out, but it wasn't the same since it had the removable carry handle. I want the real deal A2.

With that said, I'm seeing that A2 stripped uppers are not as common to find. Just for parts reference, I'll be using a PSA Stealth lower receiver and I've noticed that PSA's anodizing isn't as dark as your typical BCM/Aero/Colt finishes. I keep seeing these "teflon" coated A2 uppers and they look about as dark as Mega receivers are. I just want the same anodizing as the PSA lowers, really.

Any suggestions on which uppers to look for? Not looking to spend an arm and a leg on one and prefer to have the rear sight assembly already installed but not a necessity, I can learn how to do it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:02:26 PM EDT
[#1]
What you want isn't available new. Start looking at the EE or gunbroker for old Colt or maybe Armalite uppers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:17:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:57:17 PM EDT
[#3]
As of about 10 months ago, the A2 uppers that Fulton Armory was shipping had the lighter color anodizing.  Here's a link:

Upper Receiver, A2, USGI, Stripped

The stripped uppers are on sale for $89.96.  You can select either A2 or M4 feed ramps.

...and the complete upper:

Upper Receiver, A2, USGI, Complete

The complete upper receiver assemblies are $188.96.  Also available with either style of feed ramps.

The upper receiver that I got from them was anodized a nice, dark gray. Darker than vintage Colt parts, but definitely lighter than most of today's lowers.  You can call and ask them about the color of their current inventory.

One nice thing about building from a stripped upper is that you can choose to go with a match rear sight assembly or a hybrid of the standard and match if you want.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Del-Ton stripped A2 upper receiver (hardcoat anodized)

As stated above, Fulton Armory is another good choice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy the whole thing.  A .mil contract replacement.  I have one and it's nice.

link

Link Posted: 10/27/2018 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:54:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flyrick (a member here) was selling those in the EE
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Buy the whole thing. A .mil contract replacement. I have one and it's nice.

link

https://i.imgur.com/eVvxpLCl.jpg
Flyrick (a member here) was selling those in the EE
The same guy, just couldn't find his link here and didn't know his ARF name.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 6:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I just bought one of those Capco uppers on GB;  it is sweet!  There may be more out there.

I will couple mine with a mil-spec CH and toolcraft phosphate BCG on the cheap.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:21:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought mine off the EE.  It had a nice rear sight on it as well.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#11]
In the last year I have bought 4 A2 uppers for a 701 & 727 build. I bought the Fulton Armory upper for a BCP lower and the black color was perfect match. It was very black. I did opt for the M4 feedramps for the 727. I would not recommend the Fulton if you want M4 feedramps. I am unhappy with the machine work. The cuts were done after anodizing and were shallow and had rough edges. After assembly one of the ramp cuts line up poorly. I like the upper for a correct A2 20" with no cuts.

Forge flash inside the carry handle was a big concern for me.

Fulton Armory, bushmaster and cerro forge had flash but it was normal. nothing weird. I did buy an Armalite with the splintered A and as Armalite used to do the flash has all been machined out. I really like.

I had a hard time finding A2 upper at first but turns out they aren't really hard to fine. Good luck.

Attachment Attached File

pictures of Fulton Armory M4 cuts.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:26:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I have several PSA lowers, and the latest batch is much more grey than previous batches.

ETA: I soaked one in CLP, and let it set overnight. It’s black now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I scored a CM forge code A2 stripped upper yesterday that is a very light gray.

Now to build it out: rear sights, forward assist, port door......the madness never ends.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#14]
What's the deal with these feed ramps? Does the modern flat top upper not work with 20" rifle barrels? I never had any issues. But then again, all my 20" barrels are on A1 or A2 uppers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:29:59 PM EDT
[#15]
If you're building from scratch, don't forget about the A2 front sight block.  Height is different than an F marked fsb.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As of about 10 months ago, the A2 uppers that Fulton Armory was shipping had the lighter color anodizing.  Here's a link:

Upper Receiver, A2, USGI, Stripped

The stripped uppers are on sale for $89.96.  You can select either A2 or M4 feed ramps.

...and the complete upper:

Upper Receiver, A2, USGI, Complete

The complete upper receiver assemblies are $188.96.  Also available with either style of feed ramps.

The upper receiver that I got from them was anodized a nice, dark gray. Darker than vintage Colt parts, but definitely lighter than most of today's lowers.  You can call and ask them about the color of their current inventory.

One nice thing about building from a stripped upper is that you can choose to go with a match rear sight assembly or a hybrid of the standard and match if you want.
View Quote
That's what I did and I like it,I have an .040 hood now but I may go to the A2 and flip my drum for 1/4 moa elevation adjustments.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top