Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2021 2:10:43 PM EDT
https://www.wilsoncombat.com/308-winchester-recon-tactical/

I've owned my fair share of 308 AR's, but didn't know WC made AR's, much less 308 AR's.  

Are they any good?  How do they compare with other 308 AR's?

Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:56:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It better be spot on with a price tag like that.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It better be spot on with a price tag like that.
View Quote
Uh, thanks; that was helpful in a tech forum.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:08:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Uh, thanks; that was helpful in a tech forum.  
View Quote

LOL sorry can't be of more help.  I'm sure its quality like everything else Wilson Combat.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Buddy of mine has one, he loves it, says it shoots unbelievable.  He told me next time I go out to take it out and give it a run. He can't say enough good things about it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have never heard of any bad reviews on the WC ARs,  I would think they are on the same level as a Larue 308/762 rifle, WC is quality, I have shot their 1911's and top of the line.

If I were looking for another large frame AR, WC would be on my very short list

I have two 762 AR's, a Larue and a KAC, both are great, the Larue is stupid accurate....
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 9:29:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I've owned my fair share of 308 AR's, but didn't know WC made AR's, much less 308 AR's.
View Quote

If you check out their website you'll find they offer a rifle in just about every chambering possible for an AR-15 & AR-10.  I reviewed their .308 rifle when it first came out and found exactly what I would expect from Wilson Combat.  The fit & finish was perfect and the rifle was highly accurate.  In the 200 plus rounds I fired if functioned 100%.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#7]
They are known for their fit and finish and tight dimensions. If you have the cash, get one.
Link Posted: 4/7/2021 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have never heard of any bad reviews on the WC ARs,  I would think they are on the same level as a Larue 308/762 rifle, WC is quality, I have shot their 1911's and top of the line.

If I were looking for another large frame AR, WC would be on my very short list

I have two 762 AR's, a Larue and a KAC, both are great, the Larue is stupid accurate....
View Quote

It's to my understanding that WC makes the most quality products over every Gun Type they decide to invest their money/time into.

I'm actually quite surprised how people gloat over their Noveske, Larue, or KACs when WC is super undertalked about in comparison and I would likely take a WC over any of the others.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 5:54:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I own one that I shoot essentially as my main squeeze now. Unlike a logical person, I never moved to 5.56 given the amount of 7.62 I stacked as a young man, but I did (mostly) move on from M14s, FALs, and G3s. I own a few other AR-10s, too, 2 LMTs and a DD5V3, so I can make some comparisons.

In no particular order, what it's like to shoot:

Trigger—Excellent for its type, maybe a touch light (I don't have a pound rating). Short takeup, super clean break. I prefer long takeup triggers (like a Swiss SG55X), so I'm a bad judge.

Iron sights—Nicely made, perfectly usable, nothing special, though.

Furniture—I actually like the Rogers stock. Wilson's pistol grip is maybe a bit thick, but still very nice. Handguard is very light and feels great, but, as I found out, is easily damaged by bad/misaligned MLOK cams, even at the 4 nm torque spec. I had to file a bite mark out of the MLOK slot. Might be because it's 6XXX series aluminum.

Weight/handling—Could be the winner in the whole large frame class in this department. One of the lightest AR-10s, has a reasonably-sized barrel profile. When slung up, AR-10s get long with suppressors attached (essentially shoulder to knee length). Not unmanageable, though.

Recoil impulse—Lower than you'd expect given the gun's weight. Modern 7.62x51 guns always surprise me with AKM-level recoil and this is no exception. My wife thinks current AR-10s and the Galil ACE are such easy and accurate shooters there's no reason to own 7.62x39 guns or bolt action 7.62x51 rifles.

Suppressed shooting—I use an OSS can, so no face gas, no filth blowback, no operational changes. It's really a great match on this rifle.

Accuracy—I have not done a group size check with this one since I primarily use a red dot and ball ammo with it. With ball, I generally get good 10 shot groups, but not quite as good as my Galil ACE, SAN 751, or my anomalously accurate DD5. I can mount an LPVO and use FGMM and see where we're really at in the future.

Overall feel—Pleasant to shoot like any AR, definitely moreso than the G3, M14, and FAL. Shoots like a lighter weight DD5. Every control is noticeably more tactile than either DD or LMT. Moving between positions is uncomplicated with the dot sight, so is shooting from awkward positions. Point, click, impact.

And what it's like to own:

Optics suitability—One of the first things I do is mount a dot, LPVO, and ACOG to a rifle to see which I like best. Dot for this one.

Build quality—Nothing seems assembled or made incorrectly.

Manufacturing—Clearly a billet gun that uses few if any forgings—the total opposite of the DD. Forged parts are stronger and faster to machine, but usually uglier/rougher. If you watch a factory tour, Wilson is a smaller outfit with older, cheaper, and lower-tech equipment than a place like FN's South Carolina facility. Wilson seems to apply equal parts craft and manufacturing.

Attention to detail—Quite high, especially on fitting. No upper/lower slop, misaligned parts, or excessive clearances. Wilson could use better inner diameter turning and drilling QC as those cuts (deeper inside the bolt carrier, for example) are the roughest part of how they're made, but they're also often the trickiest thing to nail. Separately, I really like that Wilson includes a useful case, excellent manual, and some MLOK accessories instead of just throwing shit in a cardboard box. Hate their middle school sports team logo, though.

Finish—ArmorTuff is nice stuff. Seems to avoid dents and scuffs better than Cerakote. A tiny bit of my top rail got missed in the finishing process, but hey, my SAN 751 came from the factory with finish dents and reaming chips in the chamber.

Problems—Mine didn't run right it's first winter (which was its first season). Puzzled me a bit at first, but found the lower receiver extension had preservative goo (or sticky lube) in it that gummed up in 0 degree weather, slowing the bolt carrier down enough to cause failures to chamber. Cleaned that crap out and everything ran perfectly, but the mainspring was very loud/sproingy. Applied a light coat of Lubriplate to the spring and solved both problems.

Customer service—Superior. They tried to help diagnose the cycling issue, but I ended up figuring that out. Then, I screwed up a handguard screw head, mentioned that to them, and received 8 new ones in the mail!

Strengths—Simplicity, quality, weight, controls/handling. Very much an everything you need and nothing you don't gun.

Weaknesses—Lame GI type charging handle is super out of place here, handguard fine but be careful with MLOK attachments, non ambi might be bad for some, but I'm OK with it.

Verdict—Not perfect, but I keep coming back to it even when well-stocked with other choices. Possibly the highest quality zero-frills AR-10 out there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow; great review and input - thank you for taking the time to write that up.  

These rifles aren't easy to find in-stock, but I did finally find one and pulled the trigger so-to-speak.  Can't wait.

18" fluted barrel model with the green and black Tuff-Armor.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow; great review and input - thank you for taking the time to write that up.  

These rifles aren't easy to find in-stock, but I did finally find one and pulled the trigger so-to-speak.  Can't wait.

18" fluted barrel model with the green and black Tuff-Armor.
View Quote

Gonna be sweet. I'm considering an AR-9.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's to my understanding that WC makes the most quality products over every Gun Type they decide to invest their money/time into.

I'm actually quite surprised how people gloat over their Noveske, Larue, or KACs when WC is super undertalked about in comparison and I would likely take a WC over any of the others.
View Quote

I understand where you are coming from on this....Jims Firearms in Baton Rouge used to carry (not sure if they still do in these bizzare times) WC, Les Baer and Nighhawk pistols....The Les Baers were the workhorse feeling, the WC's were a work of art and I would be afraid to do it harm by shooting it....well maybe not
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great product at a reasonable price with incredible customer service.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top