Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2018 8:48:51 AM EDT
Forgive my ignorance but I don't have anyone or anywhere around here to get hands on with these. I have looked through other Acogs but it has been a long time and I remember that wow clarity. If I am using a flattop with a FSB what combo of optic height and mount height am I looking for?  I would like the sight picture to be clear if possible but not sky high and awkward. Not sure if this is even possible. I figure worst case if I hate it I can sell it and maybe go the T2 route or just wait until someone releases something I like better.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:10:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a couple of the TA44s (high) and run the same mount for all of them -- the Midwest Industries (MI-QDTAM) mount:
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-qdtam.htm

I don't know the exact height above bore, but the sight picture feels right / natural. And if I had to guess, it probably falls somewhere around lower 1/3rd.

It feels just like looking through my Aimpoint Micros, etc.

Other mounts that are similar:

- American Defense: https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/14/
- LaRue Tactial: https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-acog-compact-mount-qd-lt105/
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I have and use a TA44. Are you trying to avoid seeing the front sight base through the scope? It's not really a problem inho. I believe most if not all of the mounts that come for the TA44 are standard in height for cheekweld and work perfectly (I have tried the standard Trijicon base that comes with the scope, and also the Larue and ADM mounts). Going higher will create more problems.

The only other thing I could think of is to mount the TA44 to a carry handle, either an A1/2 or a removable carry handle and mount it that way. The mini/micro ACOG's are fantastic if you are stuck with a carry handle and want the speed/precision of an ACOG.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a couple of the TA44s (high) and run the same mount for all of them -- the Midwest Industries (MI-QDTAM) mount:
https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/product-p/mi-qdtam.htm

I don't know the exact height above bore, but the sight picture feels right / natural. And if I had to guess, it probably falls somewhere around lower 1/3rd.

It feels just like looking through my Aimpoint Micros, etc.

Other mounts that are similar:

- American Defense: https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/14/
- LaRue Tactial: https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-acog-compact-mount-qd-lt105/
View Quote
Thank you for the info!
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have and use a TA44. Are you trying to avoid seeing the front sight base through the scope? It's not really a problem inho. I believe most if not all of the mounts that come for the TA44 are standard in height for cheekweld and work perfectly (I have tried the standard Trijicon base that comes with the scope, and also the Larue and ADM mounts). Going higher will create more problems.

The only other thing I could think of is to mount the TA44 to a carry handle, either an A1/2 or a removable carry handle and mount it that way. The mini/micro ACOG's are fantastic if you are stuck with a carry handle and want the speed/precision of an ACOG.
View Quote
Yes I would like to keep the FSB out of view. I guess I didnt realize the mounts were the same as far as height goes. A bit confused on the little knob on the bottom of the mini acogs I see in the pictures. I noticed on primary arms website there is a high compact option and a low compact option with the ACSS reticle. I thought maybe a low acog with a high mount or a high acog with a low/standard mount served different height purpose. I think maybe I have over complicated the entire thing not knowing the mounts are the same height.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Aiming with both eyes open and focusing on the target rather than the reticle will help minimize the FSB shadow.

I’ve been using a TA44 on a carbine with FSB for 10 years now and the FSB doesn’t bother me.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
both of mine are on Larue Mounts.  perfect height for me
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#7]
For the Primary Arms ACSS version you can get both.  The high base in a standard ADM mount was the same height as a low base in the Bobro high mount.  I would imagine if you went with the ACSS version in a low base and a low mount you would never get the picture you were hoping for.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Yes I would like to keep the FSB out of view. I guess I didnt realize the mounts were the same as far as height goes. A bit confused on the little knob on the bottom of the mini acogs I see in the pictures. I noticed on primary arms website there is a high compact option and a low compact option with the ACSS reticle. I thought maybe a low acog with a high mount or a high acog with a low/standard mount served different height purpose. I think maybe I have over complicated the entire thing not knowing the mounts are the same height.
View Quote
No, you are not complicating things. Things are complicated. Apparently trijicon changed the design of the compact low sights recently. I had a Ta33 in a bobro low mount. I sold the Ta33 with the hopes that a brand new Ta44 would use this mount. Well, the OLD Ta44 compacts did, but the new ones didn't. I called Bobro with my issue and they said yes, trijicon changed the design and we now have to make the "V" in the base wider. They cut me a good deal on a new mount and sent it out. I got the mount in and while, yes, it fit my new compact low ACOG, it was ridiculously low. Much lower than my old TA33 in its proper low mount. So I contacted Bobro again today and they are allowing me to swap it for the high version for the NEW compact ACOG. What a confusing mess. The old compact low mini acogs sat in the base with a much sharper "V" than the new ones. I wish there was some other easy way to tell which is which but I haven't found it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I found the picture I had before I sold my red one.  The front is a low base ACOG in a high Bobro mount.  The rear is a high base ACOG in a std ADM mount.

All this said.  I really like the Green and have since switched it to a LaRue mount.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:30:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I found the picture I had before I sold my red one.  The front is a low base ACOG in a high Bobro mount.  The rear is a high base ACOG in a std ADM mount.

All this said.  I really like the Green and have since switched it to a LaRue mount.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/255083/lhhstdacog_jpg-753458.JPG
View Quote
So that first low base ACOG is the old design and will work with the mounts Bobro currently has shown on their website. For mounts to fit the new design, you have to call them.
Here is the new design TA44 in the way too low mount:

wh auden analysis
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a low mount acss ta44. Bought it for a beretta arx I have yet to buy. I have a low mount from adm and a high mount from Midwest industries for it. The low acog with a low mount won’t work on an Ar15, the high mount is close to absolute co witness which works well.

Here’s the low mount mounted on my ak with tws dogleg rail top cover.

Here’s the high mount on an ar15 compared to an absolute co witness height red dot and the mbus

Here’s the high mount compared to a lower 1/3 co witness red dot on another ar15.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No, you are not complicating things. Things are complicated. Apparently trijicon changed the design of the compact low sights recently. I had a Ta33 in a bobro low mount. I sold the Ta33 with the hopes that a brand new Ta44 would use this mount. Well, the OLD Ta44 compacts did, but the new ones didn't. I called Bobro with my issue and they said yes, trijicon changed the design and we now have to make the "V" in the base wider. They cut me a good deal on a new mount and sent it out. I got the mount in and while, yes, it fit my new compact low ACOG, it was ridiculously low. Much lower than my old TA33 in its proper low mount. So I contacted Bobro again today and they are allowing me to swap it for the high version for the NEW compact ACOG. What a confusing mess. The old compact low mini acogs sat in the base with a much sharper "V" than the new ones. I wish there was some other easy way to tell which is which but I haven't found it. Good luck.
View Quote
Sounds like a headache. Hope I hit it right on the first time and glad I asked!
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:09:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/255083/lhhstdacog_jpg-753458.JPG
View Quote
Do they differ in height? The high base in the std looks a tiny bit higher...might just be the angle.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a low mount acss ta44. Bought it for a beretta arx I have yet to buy. I have a low mount from adm and a high mount from Midwest industries for it. The low acog with a low mount won’t work on an Ar15, the high mount is close to absolute co witness which works well.

Here’s the low mount mounted on my ak with tws dogleg rail top cover.
http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/24318977/413532029.jpg

Here’s the high mount on an ar15 compared to an absolute co witness height red dot and the mbus
http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/24318977/413601251.jpg

Here’s the high mount compared to a lower 1/3 co witness red dot on another ar15.
http://pic100.picturetrail.com:80/VOL351/7575719/24318977/413601252.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for the pictures for visual comparison!
I am guessing the high Acog in a standard mount shouldn't be a major issue with the FSB, or would a high base and a high mount be better...Seems like that may be too awkwardly high.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 7:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been wondering this question as I want to mount a TA44 to my Tavor which has a higher than AR height requirement and a Scorpion which is lower than an AR.

So far I've emailed a few places.

Bobro came back and told me
Their high mount with the tall base would be about 1.7" optical center line which is what they recommend for an AR as it's about lower 1/3 co-witness.
Low mount with compact acog tall base is 1.5" and a low mount with low base is roughly 1.1" optical center.

Larue told me their mount is designed to provide a lower 1/3" co-witness with the tall/high base TA44 and that the Low Height TA44 will not fit their LT 105 mount as the “post” is too low to provide the proper seating and clearance on their mount.

I emailed Midwest Industries and I haven't heard back from them. I didn't know ADM made a mount so I'll email them now.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#16]
@mrozowjj ended up going with the High base and the MW mount I'll let you know when I get it in and
get it mounted...i am thinking it may be a bit high but we will see
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
@mrozowjj ended up going with the High base and the MW mount I'll let you know when I get it in and
get it mounted...i am thinking it may be a bit high but we will see
View Quote
I think I'm going to make a spreadsheet in Google Docs and share it so I can have this info all somewhere.

ADM AD-B5 says it has a centerline optic height of 1.8 but I don't know if that's with a tall or with a short base TA44. Considering my goal is to have something for my Tavor I might very well buy one but it is a bit heavier than most at 3 oz... I guess that's why it's $80 and not $140.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#18]
@ARnonymous

I made a spreadsheet and I've got emails out to all the different mount makers to fill in all the blanks.

TA44 Mount Options
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top