Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2021 5:51:55 PM EDT
Hey guys,

So I am going to add an adjustable gas block to my SA saint victor 556 ar15 and had a couple questions. I know the barrel profile is .750 but what I don't know is exactly what gas block will fit under my handguard which is pretty low profile. I assume if I meassure the diameter, I can confirm with the company I buy from that their gasblock will fit, is there anything else I need to consider?

I was curious what brands you guys might recommend for a low profile gas block with detent? I have been looking at the Odin works low profile adjustable block. It looks pretty small from the photos so hopefully I can confirm with them that it will fit. Any other brands you guys would reccomend?

My last question, is on if I should also look at changing the buffer spring and or buffer. The saint victor has an H buffer and I believe a milspec carbine buffer spring. If I am trying to get my recoil impulse as low as possible should I look at messing with the buffer and spring or should the adjustable gas block work pretty well with what I have got?

I'm also planning on switching over from my muzzle brake to a surefire warcomp unless there is any good reason not too. The few times I have shot rifles with them, they have felt really good.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer!
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Aero Precision adjustable gas block is low profile and fits under my slim handguards.  From the front is it no larger than their standard gas block.  It also has detents for the adjustment screw.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:01:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah the Areo one is good. SLR is good as well, but probably costs more.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't find the inner diameter specs of the Springfield handguard so you'll just have to find that out by measuring. For the most part, every adjustable gas block it seems like to be around 1.3-1.4 inches to allow them to fit under slim handguards.
I have both the Odin and Aero, both are great. The Odin gets bonus points for selling a rebuild kit for theirs which I bought to have in my spare parts bin.
I would leave your buffer and spring alone for now. See how it shoots first with adjustable gas before moving on to other components.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 9:22:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a specific reason for changing to an adjustable block? Ie your going to be running suppressed a lot, your gun is grossly overgassed etc? If no I wouldn't bother.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Odin Works set-&-forget-it block. You dial it in for what you want/need, and leave it there.
OW calls it "tunable gas block", not to be confused with their "adjustable gas block". Get the latter if you need to keep changing the gas setting.

If you get a OW block, be sure to inspect it very good before installation.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a fan of my Superlative Arms adjustable gas block.  They publish the measurements so you can confirm / deny that it fits for your application.

The bleed off feature is nice.  You do technically loose a tiny bit of velocity but gas to the face is definitely reduced (I shoot suppressed so more important to me than others).

Also this one does not have the adjustment screw directly in line with the exhaust so does not seem to gum up.  I do turn mine from time to time, just because, but have not found any felt change in the ability to turn the adjustment screw so the claim that it doesn't clog seems legit.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:55:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I love my Strike Industries collar adjust gas block.

Strike Industries Adj. Gas Block

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Did you mean Strike Industries? Is that block meant to be adjustable on the fly? That would seem to be very difficult if the block is under a handguard.
I did a ton of research deciding on a gas block. I went with the Seekins Select adjustable gas block. Once its "set" you can adjust gas on the fly with a tab. I couldnt find anyone that had anything bad to say about its function. It was the most expensive of the gas blocks that could be adjusted without tools once set, but not bad. About $110
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a few wojtek weaponry adjustable gas blocks.  They're a good value and seem as well made as any other's out there.

After you have it tuned correctly and settle on your main load there may be some advantage to messing with the buffer weights at that point, but if you are settled on swapping the gb your biggest change will likely come from the adjustable gas block alone.

That being said, I just put a heavier buffer (H2) on my S&W Sport and am happy with the change since I was leaving the standard fsb alone.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 4:49:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did you mean Strike Industries?
View Quote

LoL, I sure had some circuits shorting out there....Now Corrected

Cam on the Strike can be indexed using a bullet tip, in through a hole in the hand guard.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 6:10:35 AM EDT
[#12]
This

I tried one. Ran several thousand rounds through that weapon and pretty much installed on everything else that required an adjustable gas block. In a word, they rock.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 10:42:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a few wojtek weaponry adjustable gas blocks.  They're a good value and seem as well made as any other's out there.

After you have it tuned correctly and settle on your main load there may be some advantage to messing with the buffer weights at that point, but if you are settled on swapping the gb your biggest change will likely come from the adjustable gas block alone.

That being said, I just put a heavier buffer (H2) on my S&W Sport and am happy with the change since I was leaving the standard fsb alone.
View Quote

Ive come to like wojtek as well.  I even have some of their blems and can’t find the “blem”.  I’ve also used most of the other brands…aero, Odin, whatever.  They have all done what they’re supposed to do.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#14]
My only complaint with the Strike, is that they don't make one for a .875" heavy barrel (my next build).
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My only complaint with the Strike, is that they don't make one for a .875" heavy barrel (my next build).
View Quote
Why I went with a Ballistic Advantage .750" in .308....so I could use a Strike.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Yea, I could just turn my barrel down from .800 ahead of the gas block, to .750 all the way back to the shoulder.
Before I make that decision, going to do a little more brain teasing on the Seekins select adjustable unit.

Damn-it!
Makes more sense to turn the barrel down.
Great, another project
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd go with the Seekins Precision Select Adjustable Gas Block. Simple throw lever for easy adjustment.

Seekins Precision Select Adjustable Gas Block at the Range
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:36:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'd go with the Seekins Precision Select Adjustable Gas Block. Simple throw lever for easy adjustment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66KGwWQD0hY
View Quote

This is what I did.
Three things..
1. The shorter tab is impossible to adjust by hand. Its simply too stiff and you can't get enough leverage.
2. To adjust it I have to take the handguard off and use an allen key to gain enough leverage.
3. I used the largest ID Aero handguard and still can't fit the larger adjustment tab inside the handguard.

If you can set it in front of the hand guard and use the big tab I think it would be awesome, but Ive yet to see an AR setup like that.

If I want to be able to adjust on the fly for supersonic and then subsonic suppressed, I need to carry a T15 and a 5/64 Allen key.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 6:36:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Keep working it with lots of lube.
Detents like to wear in.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top