Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
SwampFox Optics (Page 1 of 3)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/15/2019 4:08:57 PM EDT
Has anyone tried SwampFox Optics or know how they compare to Vortex, Holosun, Etc?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 8:12:36 AM EDT
Came here to find out the same thing - a 1-4 SFP and Mount is $269 with coupon code. Wonder who makes them?
Link Posted: 2/16/2019 3:40:46 PM EDT
The magnified line looks like a cross between a Nikon X1000 and a Strikfire or something.

Probably spec-ed out by swampfox and made in China.

FOV on the 1-8x looks more generous than other 1-8's in this price range and the rest of the specs look the same as others.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 12:03:47 AM EDT
Truglo Ignite looks good.

OEMd by Holosun most likely.

Truglo Ignite

Uses a AAA too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2019 9:06:26 PM EDT
I’m mostly looking at their micro red dot. There is very little information available.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 12:56:27 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ar15stin:
I’m mostly looking at their micro red dot. There is very little information available.
View Quote
Since it costs more than a primary Arms, I'd just go with a primary Arms since they're proven to be reliable and save a few dollars.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 1:20:34 PM EDT
I wouldn't bother with it. There are many proven brands for the same money.

Primary Arms, SIG, Vortex.
Link Posted: 2/18/2019 1:24:37 PM EDT
There part of my signature line of glass. What do you want to know?

Jk no connection to the company
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 12:10:30 PM EDT
They offer Mil/LE discounts via 'ExpertVoice' - I just ordered the 1-4x and Mount for a 16" 1:9 Bushmaster 25th Anniversary Carbine circa 2003. Will be shooting Fusion MSR.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 7:53:21 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
They offer Mil/LE discounts via 'ExpertVoice' - I just ordered the 1-4x and Mount for a 16" 1:9 Bushmaster 25th Anniversary Carbine circa 2003. Will be shooting Fusion MSR.
View Quote
This is what prompted my original post! Please let us know what you think when it arrives.
Link Posted: 2/20/2019 5:44:49 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ar15stin:

This is what prompted my original post! Please let us know what you think when it arrives.
View Quote
Will do - but this is the first scope I've purchased since the 4x Tasco I had on my Daisy 880 in 1981

But I guess I'll know if I see something that I don't like, LOL
Link Posted: 2/21/2019 7:24:40 PM EDT
I've heard through the grape vine that although they are a new company, their parent company has been in the optics manufacturing game for quite some time as OEM
for other brands.

They are getting ready to step up their line of offerings here in the near future. I have a feeling they will become a major player in the US very soon
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 12:41:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2019 12:50:34 AM EDT by gman556]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:
I've heard through the grape vine that although they are a new company, their parent company has been in the optics manufacturing game for quite some time as OEM
for other brands.

They are getting ready to step up their line of offerings here in the near future. I have a feeling they will become a major player in the US very soon
View Quote
Would that be Shepard Scopes?

https://shepherdscopes.com/

I did have their Rugged 1-8x24 and while it very very closely resembled the Vortex Strike Eagle except with uncapped turrets and decent audible clicks and a almost daylight bright reticle.

The glass was also crystal-clear from edge to edge and very close to some Japanese glassed optics I've owned.

I sold it because I just couldn't get over the fact that it so closely matched the Chinese 1-8 optics out there these days.

I kinda regret selling it and not giving it a chance on top of a rifle.

They also claim to have a no BS warranty.
Link Posted: 2/22/2019 8:05:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/22/2019 8:06:51 AM EDT by Et2ss]
My understanding is that since very few companies make their own scopes (They just spec out their needs to a manufacturer, and white label as their own), that
you have probably already looked through/used this manufacturer's scopes without knowing it. Swampfox is their new direct sales presence.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:10:49 AM EDT
My Tomahawk 1-4 arrived yesterday. I couldn't find anything I didn't like, but I have no scope experience. Reticle was bright on the snow with the sun out, edges were clear, I actually preferred a SFP reticle for an "all around" rifle.
This can definitely be used as quick as a red dot at 1x.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:25:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/23/2019 11:31:32 AM EDT by Et2ss]
Is it the Guerilla BDC ?

I wish they did a Mil/Mil model

Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:30:59 AM EDT
Is it the Guerilla BDC ?

I wish they did a Mil/Mil model
View Quote
Yes, Guerilla BDC.
Link Posted: 2/23/2019 11:33:24 AM EDT
Too bad you aren't closer to me, I'd like to compare this to my PA 1-6, P4Xi, and SWFA 1-6
Link Posted: 2/24/2019 9:55:22 AM EDT
Too bad you aren't closer to me, I'd like to compare this to my PA 1-6, P4Xi, and SWFA 1-6
View Quote
I hear ya, I took a chance and am happy, but I'm not a scope guru, and haven't looked through any other. Hopefully the YouTube guys with a good/no-bull reputation will start reviewing them.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 11:08:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/10/2019 11:15:43 AM EDT by cowboyrick]
Bumping this thread. These scopes look very interesting at their price point. Anyone else have experience with these?

Eta: I have a Steiner 1-4 p4xi and a Leupold 1-4 vxr patrol. I like both but really want some more magnification. Looking at the Tomahawk 1-8.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2019 1:42:19 PM EDT by Swampfox_Optics_Mike]
New account, who dis?

First post and it's a reply? Sure, why the hell not.

Until February I was known as PA_Mike. Primary Arms and I parted ways after SHOT Show and behold, you heathens! I am now product marketing director for Swampfox Optics. New company, same attitude from Mike. I'm gonna tell you guys what's really going on and not bullshit you.

Here's the truth bombs for today on Swampfox. Swampfox is an outgrowth of a parent company in Shanghai that has OEM'd scopes for about 15 years for other brands. I am NOT going to say what brands they are, I have to draw the line there to protect the parent company and it's relationship with those brands. Sorry! Even I have boundaries. I will say that it is extremely likely that many of you own or have at least looked through and shot friends' guns with optics made by this parent company.

I will also repeat this, which I have said before. China is not just one big OEM factory churning out garbage tier crap and slapping whatever name you want on the side. There are about 20 OEM manufacturers over there and they all rival each other, try to hire each other's best employees, try to copy each other's new tech. Imagine Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge but there are 20 of them. How would your factory, your company, survive and grow in a situation like that? Well, some of the companies survive by making the cheapest crap possible and making a ton of it. Some survive by making the best possible product they can and building a reputation for quality. And some try to strike a balance in the middle, in that value area of "not the greatest but on the other hand it's pretty damn cheap."
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:37:08 PM EDT
The parent company of Swampfox is one of the top two factories in China for quality of manufacture and for putting their resources into research and development. If they were a shit-tier company I would not have taken a job with them after working for a place like Primary Arms (who are doing a really great job at striking a balance between quality product and affordability from a variety of Chinese factories). I also want to say right up front that I'm still a huge fan of PA and especially the ACSS reticle system, I still have a lot of friends and connections there and you won't see me disparaging their brand. Will there be comparisons between Swampfox products and PA products? Oh hell yes, but they will be FAIR comparisons and not shit talking.

The idea behind Swampfox is a lot like what Holosun has done in the past couple of years. Instead of just selling B2B, business to business, they want to sell B2C, business to consumer, and have their own name brand on the American market. It's worked great for Holosun, they are building up their own reputation as a brand now, people know the name and search for the name, and you cut out a middle-man. Look at the HS507c, it's a great little sight for $300. Maybe if it was sold as a Primary Arms SLX-Z-ABC-123 or whatever it would be a $375 sight instead. You benefit from selling your own products under your own brand name, but ONLY once people know and trust that brand name. Until then you're just another Chinesium importer selling who knows what, which is what Arfcom and the American shooting public thinks of Swampfox right now.

It'll be my job to change that perception.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:38:37 PM EDT
Now, here's the cool thing about Swampfox. The way these relationships usually work, it's the Chinese factory driving the bus and telling the US brands, hey we have developed a new scope, do you want to put your name on it? And the US brand can make a few changes here or there, take it or leave it. If brand A doesn't want to pick up that product, well brand B will. Maybe you pit brand A against brand B for who gets the new scope, or who gets it first. If you know the market and you think about it I bet you can come up with some examples where you have seen this, right? With Swampfox, the Americans are driving the bus. They've hired an American team, which I'm happily part of, to tell them "Hey, don't make this thing, make that thing instead. Can you do it this way instead of that way? And look, here are our priorities as American shooters. First of all, it HAS to work. If it breaks even once we will probably hate this brand forever and ever and tell all of our friends how much we hate you. Second, it needs to be easy to use. Big eyebox, fast to acquire..." This is a reverse of how it usually goes.

I'm excited as hell to be part of Swampfox because:
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:39:09 PM EDT
1. They actually listen to my input on product design when it comes to what American shooters want. Which means I damn well better have my finger on that pulse and be all about that life, or it's my ass.

2. The products we have coming down the pipe, that nobody has seen yet, are really freakin' good for the money. I want to give competitors a nervous breakdown when they look through our scopes and then look at the price tag.

3. I only have one boss, the CEO, and his marching orders are Patton-simple: ATTACK! I'm planning on doing some badass marketing campaigns where we pull no punches, it's going to be loud and proud and in your face. For better or for worse, we're going to find out what marketing looks like when Mike is in charge, without layers of oversight to gasp in horror and exclaim "You can't say THAT!" Oh, it's gonna be FUN.

I've emailed the powers that be here on Arfcom and asked them about setting up an Industry Forum for Swampfox Optics. Until that happens, feel free to tag me, PM me, email me at mike.branson@swampfoxoptics.com and ask me questions. You'll get honest answers right up to the point where you ask me to give away confidential trade secrets and proprietary information, at which point I'll draw the line politely.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:39:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2019 1:45:50 PM EDT by Swampfox_Optics_Mike]
About the LPVO "Tomahawk" line, it's my favorite Swampfox product line to date. Second focal plane, adjustable ocular, glass that's at least on par and hopefully a bit better than what you've seen before in this price range. My favorite thing about the Tomahawks is the reticle illumination-- early feedback on the prototypes from American shooters was "Hey, pretty nice, but your reticle illumination is just on par with PA and Vortex, and we want it brighter." So everyone talked it over, and now the production Tomahawks feature dual LED emitters to make the illumination extra bright. Just like that, bam, it's done. Now, at full blast, a Tomahawk is going to eat batteries like cookie monster on a blind date. But you are in charge of battery life because you are in charge of the illumination setting, at least you have the option of cranking it all the way up if that's what you like.

Regarding reticle illumination in general, I've told the factory that foolish Americans want to damage their eyes with brightness. I want them to make reticle illumination so bright that I have to put a warning in the manual that staring at it for too long will hurt you. That's the goal, now go make it happen.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 1:40:34 PM EDT
My favorite of the Tomahawks, and the one I am currently torture testing, is the 1-8x. I also have a Primary Arms 1-8x SFP so I'm very interested in how these two scopes compare side by side. I don't have a definitive answer yet, it's going to take a lot of rounds fired, but I want to point out two things. First, the ocular lens on the Tomahawk was made larger than the one on the PA scope, and this improves exit pupil / eyebox at full magnification. The Tomahawk is less "picky" to work with at 8x than the PA, and that's important to me. Secondly, the Tomahawk comes in the box with a throw lever included from the factory. There's no bullshit "buy one separately for $40 and hope it fits" games with us. We think every LPVO needs a throw lever, so a throw lever comes with every LPVO. That's the attitude the Swampfox crew has about this stuff, and I freakin' love it.

Hopefully the info above gives you some more info as you consider whether to be an early adopter and try out an unproven brand name. I sure hope you do, and I know the whole crew is grateful for the folks who are willing to take a chance on us at this early stage as a brand name. Sorry about doing this in a bunch of little replies in a row, but I had to contend with the 2,000 word limit for brand new accounts.
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 3:59:27 PM EDT
@swampfox_optics_mike

Awesome to have you back! You being associated with teh brand gives them credibility over others IMO. You have always been informative and honest here.

I will definitely be looking into the options and may send you a PM. I just picked up a Canik TP9SFX and want to mount a rds and the Kingslayer looks interesting. That is a separate conversion though

Looking forward to some feedback on the brand and wish you the best of luck!
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 4:24:36 PM EDT
Came here to find out the same thing - a 1-4 SFP and Mount is $269 with coupon code. Wonder who makes them?
View Quote
You are better off with cabelas 1-4x with mount as it is a rebranded vortex Crossfire II and carries a lifetime warranty
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 5:06:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/11/2019 5:07:25 PM EDT by Lightstriker]
@Swampfox_Optics_Mike

Great to see you're back.

Any FFP options?

ETA: Or even dual plane?
Link Posted: 3/11/2019 11:23:46 PM EDT
No FFP options for LPVO but almost all of our larger precision scopes will be FFP.

Don’t have our sights set on dual plane either. We need to show the market that we’ve mastered the fundamentals first, and then start trying to push the edge of the envelope later.

If you innovate the shit out of stuff but don’t have a proven product, you’ll be that guy in the basement of SHOT Show trying to sell his patented widget doohickie that he swears is awesome, yet nobody knows him or trusts him or has any faith he can turn his innovative idea into reality.

I totally don’t want to be that guy. This brand is just getting started up and we gotta crawl before we can walk, then prove we are great at walking, then one day we can run.

I hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 7:32:48 AM EDT
Originally Posted By myhatinthering:

You are better off with cabelas 1-4x with mount as it is a rebranded vortex Crossfire II and carries a lifetime warranty
View Quote
I went with the Swamp Fox and like what I see - there warranty is basically lifetime as well. Another factor was, being former 3/75 - I assume the company (from the name and Q&A pages) has some Ranger heritage somewhere (subject to clarification), so they got my money. Thanks for the tip though!
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 7:44:06 AM EDT
I went with the Swamp Fox and like what I see - there warranty is basically lifetime as well. Another factor was, being former 3/75 - I assume the company (from the name and Q&A pages) has some Ranger heritage somewhere (subject to clarification), so they got my money. Thanks for the tip though!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By myhatinthering:

Link Posted: 3/12/2019 7:46:03 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Swampfox_Optics_Mike:
New account, who dis?

First post and it's a reply? Sure, why the hell not.

Until February I was known as PA_Mike....
View Quote
Well lookee here

Thanks for the info.

I posted this elsewhere, but some changes to the scope covers (or as an additional accessory): Butler Creek like quick release CLEAR ocular, and either a clear or Kill Flash obj cover would be nice. Also, an SPR mount for us 'Nose To Charging Handle' shooters. Heck, while I'm at it, make a printable scope cap disk for people shooting other than 55gr out of a 16" (just a graphic of the the BDC reticle where we can add our new ranges?) and investigate adding a "Shake Awake"/MOTAC feature to the LED.

Welcome back.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 8:34:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2019 12:44:19 PM EDT by Creature]
@Swampfox_Optics_Mike any plans for a 1x prism optic like the PA Cyclops or Vortex Spitfire?

Or how about a ruggedized 1&4x prismatic to fill the void between LPVO and RDS that isn't as prohibitively expensive as the ELCAN?
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:58:19 AM EDT
Ok, I'll be the guinea pig on this.

Just ordered a Tomahawk 1-8. When I receive it I'll provide a review / comparison.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:03:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By IamGroot:
Ok, I'll be the guinea pig on this.

Just ordered a Tomahawk 1-8. When I receive it I'll provide a review / comparison.
View Quote
I have the 1-4x, but am a scope cherry - your review will be most welcome.
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 1:10:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2019 1:12:14 PM EDT by RDTCU]
Originally Posted By Castillo:
I wouldn't bother with it. There are many proven brands for the same money.

Primary Arms, SIG, Vortex.
View Quote
PA_MIKE went over to SwampFox when PA let him go for whatever reason...

ETA:See i was beaten....
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 3:49:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Creature:
@Swampfox_Optics_Mike any plans for a 1x prism optic like the PA Cyclops or Vortex Spitfire?

Or how about a ruggedized 1&4x prismatic to fill the void between LPVO and RDS that isn't as prohibitively expensive as the ELCAN?
View Quote
I want to do a 1x prism but it isn't designed yet, we are going to do a 3x or 4x with a very wide field of view first. Basically we want to put that glorious field of view from the Sig prism scopes into something that doesn't cost freakin' $800.

You can forget about a 1-4x prismatic. If Elcan can't do one without zero shift issues for $2000 and the Russian WPA PSU has the same problems at $700, I don't see anyone clamoring for a Chinese factory to take a swing at it and fix what Elcan can't fix.

Let us prove that we can build a solid LPVO, a solid red dot, a basic prism scope, before you guys start asking for whiz-bang adjustable magnification prism scopes and dual focal plane optics. Those projects are a trap, like the HK G11 rifle. You spend all your money on R&D for the thing, it doesn't work that great, then nobody buys a single damn one. Ask Wolf about how getting into the variable prism scope business right off the bat with no other proven products has worked out for them...
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 3:58:33 PM EDT

You can forget about a 1-4x prismatic. If Elcan can't do one without zero shift issues for $2000 and the Russian WPA PSU has the same problems at $700, I don't see anyone clamoring for a Chinese factory to take a swing at it and fix what Elcan can't fix.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 10:34:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2019 10:40:34 PM EDT by Et2ss]
@Swampfox_Optics_Mike

Glad to see you finally made it

I've been holding my tongue as much as possible waiting for you to make your grand reappearance !

Now we need a precision variable with mil/mil, and a reticle with quick ranging and a 'tree' for holdovers, and windage.
Maybe similar to like something with a Greek Goddess's name?

....Zero stops wouldn't hurt either

I know where I want to spend my money now

Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:16:47 PM EDT
If you really are building what people want Cap the turrets it’s a 1x-to whatever not a high magnification target scope
Link Posted: 3/12/2019 11:18:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2019 12:44:09 AM EDT by Lightstriker]
EDIT: Nvm...
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 12:24:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By whopete89:
If you really are building what people want Cap the turrets it’s a 1x-to whatever not a high magnification target scope
View Quote
In the next generation we're going to make them locking instead of cap them, I think. But yeah, the decision to make the caps non-locking and also non-capped was made, uh... made long before I got hired on. I'm doing my best to steer these guys straight on some of those features and give shooters what they really want, and the really good news is, they are actually listening to me. We have a high magnification precision scope series coming up codenamed WARHAWK and I've already made a change to the reticle and a change to the turrets and we are still at the alpha prototype stage. I sent emails explaining why we need to change thing A to thing B and after a bit of discussion they are like, yup, that's a good change, we'll do it.

That's super encouraging to me. I have the chance to be part of a team of American shooters who are really "driving the bus" when it comes to the design of the product. Before, I was just marketing/content creation, so I didn't get any say on what got built, at all. I would be like, hey, how come you made the turrets this way instead of that way? Wouldn't THAT way be better? And the answer was, look the turrets are what they are, we've ordered 500 of them and it's your job to figure out how to get people to buy them. not to tell us we did it wrong.

I like this much, much better already.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:21:39 PM EDT
Well, well, well. "I am now product marketing director for Swampfox Optics." Mr. big shot, eh? Kidding.

Congrats my friend. Hope you and the new company do well. Do not steal Dimitri.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:54:17 PM EDT
Good stuff.

If your taking requests...

Shield RMSc sized red dot for single stacks, that's not a POS. I'd buy at least two
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:00:35 PM EDT
Originally Posted By swampfoxoutdoors:
There part of my signature line of glass. What do you want to know?

Jk no connection to the company
View Quote
Trying to steal my product

(also joke no connection either)
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:25:36 PM EDT
Needs capped or at least locking turrets
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:35:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By chewbacca:
Needs capped or at least locking turrets
View Quote
4 posts above yours
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 6:25:25 PM EDT

In the next generation we're going to make them locking instead of cap them, I think. But yeah, the decision to make the caps non-locking and also non-capped was made, uh... made long before I got hired on. I'm doing my best to steer these guys straight on some of those features and give shooters what they really want, and the really good news is, they are actually listening to me. We have a high magnification precision scope series coming up codenamed WARHAWK and I've already made a change to the reticle and a change to the turrets and we are still at the alpha prototype stage. I sent emails explaining why we need to change thing A to thing B and after a bit of discussion they are like, yup, that's a good change, we'll do it.

That's super encouraging to me. I have the chance to be part of a team of American shooters who are really "driving the bus" when it comes to the design of the product. Before, I was just marketing/content creation, so I didn't get any say on what got built, at all. I would be like, hey, how come you made the turrets this way instead of that way? Wouldn't THAT way be better? And the answer was, look the turrets are what they are, we've ordered 500 of them and it's your job to figure out how to get people to buy them. not to tell us we did it wrong.

I like this much, much better already.
View Quote
It's always exciting to see a new entrant into the market. Go get 'em Tiger!

Things I'd want in the LPVOs:
* 100-click turrets with 0.25 MOA/0.1 MRAD click value
* Zero-lock on both elevation/windage (locks when spun to zero, pull or pinch to move away from zero)
* Super bright illumination dot option (for both-eyes-open 1X)

In the high-power scopes:
* FFP
* No-gimmick tree reticle with floating aiming dot, strong stadia lines at low power, uncluttered top-half, fewer lines/more dots (something like NightForce MIL-XT)
* 100-click turrets with 0.25 MOA/0.1 MRAD click value
* Some sort of revolution indicator (lines being exposed on barrel as turret ascends would be adequate, but a tactile indicator would be sweet)
* Zero-lock on both elevation/windage would be adequate if clicks are stiff enough

If you could manage some sort of auto-off on the illumination, that'd be super nice.

Support for aftermarket Kenton Industries BDC elevation dial would give you an answer to SIG SBT or Leupold CDS.

On the Kingslayer, you already have motion-off, but for heaven's sake, you need motion-on or always-on for a handgun RDS! Otherwise, it's just a range-toy sight.

To support your cause, I've added your Tomahawks to my master list of all illuminated LPVOs.

I listed them with zero-stop, because from the product description, I assume you can't dial below zero (it says "simply dial it back to zero with a quick twist"). Let me know if that's accurate.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 7:07:48 PM EDT
Originally Posted By whopete89:
If you really are building what people want Cap the turrets it's a 1x-to whatever not a high magnification target scope
View Quote
I like capped as long as the knobs under are just big enough to be turned by hand.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 1:23:35 PM EDT
Just got a link to this in my e-mail

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
SwampFox Optics (Page 1 of 3)
Top Top