Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2020 2:56:11 PM EDT
Why isn’t the warcomp more popular in the military and socom community? I’ve seen a few pics over the years but it certainly doesnt seem to be wide spread.
I own the warcomp, 3 prong and 4 prong and while AR recoil is non existent; there is a noticeable reduction in muzzle rise.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Surefire warcomp retail price is $149?
Government price would be what, $75?

A2 flash hider retail price is $8?
Government price would be what, $4?
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:35:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Surefire warcomp retail price is $149?
Government price would be what, $75?

A2 flash hider retail price is $8?
Government price would be what, $4?
View Quote

I would imagine he's referring to the SOCOM elements that already use SF 4 prong muzzle devices. And the simple answer to that question is that SOCOM has already procured an SF muzzle device and it wasn't the Warcomp.

Procurement, even for SOCOM, isn't exactly a simple, easy, or inexpensive process; there would need to be considerable benefits to even remotely justify upgrading. They can't just snap their fingers and suddenly replace the muzzle devices (or any other accessory) on thousands of guns just because something new came out, even if it might be arguably better.

Individual units could potentially purchase them, but a widespread transition across SOCOM to swap to another muzzle device that would offer little if any meaningful improvement over the existing one in terms of combat performance just isn't likely to happen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I would imagine he's referring to the SOCOM elements that already use SF 4 prong muzzle devices. And the simple answer to that question is that SOCOM has already procured an SF muzzle device and it wasn't the Warcomp.

Procurement, even for SOCOM, isn't exactly a simple, easy, or inexpensive process; there would need to be considerable benefits to even remotely justify upgrading. They can't just snap their fingers and suddenly replace the muzzle devices (or any other accessory) on thousands of guns just because something new came out, even if it might be arguably better.

Individual units could potentially purchase them, but a widespread transition across SOCOM to swap to another muzzle device that would offer little if any meaningful improvement over the existing one in terms of combat performance just isn't likely to happen.
View Quote

^^^This. While I LOVE the warcomp, the above statement holds true. There simply isn't a need to entirely swap out puzzles devices when the current was is almost as good and does almost the same thing (QD for the SF SOCOM Suppressor, and reduces muzzle signature). It would be slow, and or course expensive.

I wouldn't be suprised though to see them appear in the future
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I honestly did not notice any real improvement when I switched from a 4P to an Open-Tined Warcomp on a Block II upper long ago. I have a close-tined one on my URG-I upper right now, and it still just feels like a regular flash hider.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 5:58:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I honestly did not notice any real improvement when I switched from a 4P to an Open-Tined Warcomp on a Block II upper long ago. I have a close-tined one on my URG-I upper right now, and it still just feels like a regular flash hider.
View Quote

I Disagree.

I use a closed Tine on a 11.5 CQBR  

Recoil is almost downwards when rapid fired - very noticeable.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Warcomp shines on short bbls.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#7]
On the negative side - warcomps get kinda clogged when used frequently with a suppressor.  

But they never get entirely clogged.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 8:49:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Warcomps are pretty loud unsuppressed for people around you.

Link Posted: 5/23/2020 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Warcomps work great but most SF groups that I know of use suppressors all the time so switching to it has no advantage.

I use a variety of Surefire muzzle devices but I shoot both with and without cans.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:57:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Those are all really good points that I hadn’t really thought of, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of too much flash or too concussive.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:36:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to see a flash comparison between the warcomp and the 4/3 prong
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#12]
New Zealand’s LMT guns use Warcomps. Occasionally you’ll see some high speed army guy using one. But as others have said, procurement for SOCOM can be slow and behind the curve vs the commercial market. Surefire even has said that the 3 prong flash hider is more effective than the 4 prong SOCOM has been using, but based on the time the contract was awarded etc that’s what they spec’d and got.  
Personally I love Warcomps and prefer to use them on all my guns, especially since I have SF cans.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:42:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Question for the group - when using a Warcomp with a suppressor, are you supposed to use the timing shims when mounting it to the muzzle?  All the research I’ve been doing says never use a crush washer on a muzzle device if using a suppressor, so I guess timing shims don’t qualify?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:43:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'd like to see a flash comparison between the warcomp and the 4/3 prong
View Quote

not my vids, but a Mk18 upper on M16 lower, doesn't specify ammo used

Warcomp

SF3P
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Question for the group - when using a Warcomp with a suppressor, are you supposed to use the timing shims when mounting it to the muzzle?  All the research I’ve been doing says never use a crush washer on a muzzle device if using a suppressor, so I guess timing shims don’t qualify?
View Quote

Yes, shims for can use.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:49:14 PM EDT
[#16]
From what I’ve read and learned from people that currently work inside the community, MIL is not concerned in the least with recoil mitigation when talking about muzzle devices, ONLY reduction in muzzle flash/signature when rifle is fired in no light/low light conditions.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
From what I’ve read and learned from people that currently work inside the community, MIL is not concerned in the least with recoil mitigation when talking about muzzle devices, ONLY reduction in muzzle flash/signature when rifle is fired in no light/low light conditions.
View Quote

This is where the Warcomps shine.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:01:56 PM EDT
[#18]
While we are talking Warcomps. Where do you guys get yours?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:10:38 PM EDT
[#19]
B&H photo is where I got some of mine
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

EE or Opticsplanet (but make sure you use a 10% off coupon - there's an ongoing thread here on arfcom for codes)
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:34:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Big Daddy Unlimited has prices sub $110 on the closed tine warcomp.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, shims for can use.
View Quote

My understanding is the shims are used to time the device for either a left or right handed shooter and how the gas ports orient. or you can time it to a neutral setting. And that this has nothing to do with a suppressor, which would index of the notch on the Warcomp, regardless of the orientation.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:23:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My understanding is the shims are used to time the device for either a left or right handed shooter and how the gas ports orient. or you can time it to a neutral setting. And that this has nothing to do with a suppressor, which would index of the notch on the Warcomp, regardless of the orientation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, shims for can use.

Shims are for timing as well as to prevent canting of MD. Crush washer use is an ideal way to experience baffle strikes while using a suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:55:09 PM EDT
[#24]
My thought is that the surefire muzzle devices in mil use are primarily meant as an interface for surefire suppressors.  So in that role the warcomp is no different than the SF4P, so why switch?  Especially given, as others have noted, the burden of the procurement process.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:27:13 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Shims are for timing as well as to prevent canting of MD. Crush washer use is an ideal way to experience baffle strikes while using a suppressor.
View Quote

Ah, Gotcha. makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ah, Gotcha. makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#27]
the timing kit that comes with a main washer that is convex on one side and flat on the other. the convex side goes against the shoulder on the barrel and the flat side goes against the timing shims and the warcomp.

my stamp came in a week before my hunting trip and so not to screw it up I took the upper to a big gun shop who installed backwards, my first shot out a rifle that normally shot sub MOA wound up six feet in the deer ing front of the buck, second shot did the same. took the suppressor off and found a baffle strike. that mistake cost me 200 for the barrel to be cut down and 400 to recore a brand new comp
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everyone was oos a couple of weeks ago.  I found one at DS Arms.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:22:58 AM EDT
[#29]
One other question - do I need to use Rocksett when mounting the Warcomp (I think mine is a few years old and has hardened in the tube), or would blue loctite suffice?
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:06:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
One other question - do I need to use Rocksett when mounting the Warcomp (I think mine is a few years old and has hardened in the tube), or would blue loctite suffice?
View Quote

Rocksett.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 4:50:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Rocksett.
View Quote

Thank you sir
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Why isn’t the warcomp more popular in the military and socom community? I’ve seen a few pics over the years but it certainly doesnt seem to be wide spread.
I own the warcomp, 3 prong and 4 prong and while AR recoil is non existent; there is a noticeable reduction in muzzle rise.
View Quote

I have buddies in 2/75 that had them, I know some guys in group have bought them. I do know that if you’re shooting high volume it is possible to basically weld the suppressor on because of the ports but teams still do that with the 4 prongs because they don’t clean the can or the flash hiders. The warcomp is the best all around muzzle device but if you already have 4 prongs and you don’t need to spend unit money on them when you could use it for other things then I understand. There is an NSN for warcomps now though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 11:50:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I have buddies in 2/75 that had them, I know some guys in group have bought them. I do know that if you’re shooting high volume it is possible to basically weld the suppressor on because of the ports but teams still do that with the 4 prongs because they don’t clean the can or the flash hiders. The warcomp is the best all around muzzle device but if you already have 4 prongs and you don’t need to spend unit money on them when you could use it for other things then I understand. There is an NSN for warcomps now though.
View Quote

Great info.  This makes sense to me.  I have 2 because I have seen them in pics of issued weapons and instead of having a 3 prong never issued FH, I could have a comp and FH that is at least used sometimes by Mil.  The only 4 prongs I saw in Afg on SF guys weapons were on Scars.  M4s all had A2 FHs with a mix of Block I and Block II in 2012-2013.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top