Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/4/2019 8:41:57 PM EDT
So I wanted to get some insight on 3 prong and birdcage style flash hiders. In my research I've found that 3 prong FH seem to do better at Flash mitigation. But why is that? What is the science behind it?  And also from the title, I wanted to ask for people's experiences with the mentioned Muzzle Devices. I've had my mind set on the CTN Warcomp but if the 3 prong serves much better I might as well choose it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:21:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the Surefire Closed Tine SOCOM RC flash hider/mount (not the Warcomp). But I’ve never shot it at night or without the SOCOM mounted. I got the closed tine ‘cause I don’t like pronged flash hiders.

Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the 3 prong, Warcomp, and CTN that I use to mount the SOCOM 556 and 762 cans.

My favorite is the CTN. It feels the most robust while not having exposed tines. It is also the easiest to clean after shooting.

I think it is all preference. None seem to affect muzzle rise too differently than others.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Can't provide an answer as to the science, or specific experience with the Surefire devices, but I do have experience with a similar flash hider.

The B.E. Meyers 249F is the most effective flash hider per a study by SOCOM, but it tends to ping. There is a small groove near the end of the tines that you can fasten safety wire around and stop the pinging. B.E. Meyers has said this will solve the pinging but degrade the flash hiding capabilities a bit.

That's with a thin piece of wire; now imagine the closed Surefire muzzle devices. Maybe someone from Surefire can quantify the difference.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the 3 prong, Warcomp, and CTN that I use to mount the SOCOM 556 and 762 cans.

My favorite is the CTN. It feels the most robust while not having exposed tines. It is also the easiest to clean after shooting.

I think it is all preference. None seem to affect muzzle rise too differently than others.
View Quote
Have you noticed a difference in flash mitigation between them? I'm getting into night shooting and NVG's and I'm worried about blinding lol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2019 10:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
The original warcomp is biased for right handed shooters. It has extra venting holes before the tines wrapping around the right side of the muzzle device (looking at it from stock to muzzle).

The closed tine warcomp is neutrally vented up before the closed tines for any handed shooting.

The reason why open tines work better than closed tines is because the open tine end further allows the better dispersal of gas before it can combust.

Closed tines disturb the even and quick dispersal of exiting gasses.

IME, an extended A1 FH works better than a standard length A1 as well.
An A1 works better than an A2 as it has more venting and it's venting is spaced farther apart.
Despite being open tined, the old 3 prong duck bill isn't any better than either because of how short the tines are.

ETA: The closed tine version is also shorter.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 9:09:44 AM EDT
[#7]
My understanding was the open tines vibration mitigates the flash.

If you’re going to use a suppressor, I suggest a closed tine as the open tine focuses the baffle erosion into an open tine pattern.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top