Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2024 10:23:59 PM EDT
If I want to run a suppressor on my piston AR, do I need an adjustable gas block?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Which GP system do you have?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a straight-out-of-the-box LWRC M6 in 5.56 and have no experience with suppressors whatsoever but would like to get into it as soon as my budget supports it.

If the problem with suppressors & DI ARs is that you have to dial back the pressure when running a suppressor to keep from getting excess gas in the face, it seems like a piston would prevent most of that from happening (because the excitement is all happening at the front of the piston), and therefore not need reduced pressure...

Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 5:33:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ahcollier1991:
I have a straight-out-of-the-box LWRC M6 in 5.56 and have no experience with suppressors whatsoever but would like to get into it as soon as my budget supports it.

If the problem with suppressors & DI ARs is that you have to dial back the pressure when running a suppressor to keep from getting excess gas in the face, it seems like a piston would prevent most of that from happening (because the excitement is all happening at the front of the piston), and therefore not need reduced pressure...

Am I wrong?
View Quote

Run your LWRC in the suppressor setting of your piston...you have 3 settings already.  Full suppressed and off at least both of my LWRC M6's have that
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]
not all lwrc piston guns have an adjustable gas block

you definitely want one for suppressed. LMT and Caracal here and they are both awesome suppressed, but wouldn't be if they didn't have adjustable gas blocks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:02:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ahcollier1991:
If I want to run a suppressor on my piston AR, do I need an adjustable gas block?
View Quote

No, you do not NEED one.

It's nice to have because it reduces the gas blow-back and possibly (depending on gun, can, ammo, etc.) can help in reducing recoil from an over-gassed gun and maybe (big maybe) wear on the bolt. Functionally though, there isn't a need.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#6]
This is correct. The thing you might want to consider when running a can on your LWRC if it is the no adjustable style would be a heavier buffer to slow down bolt speeds and save your extractor.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top