Posted: 4/14/2020 2:53:30 PM EDT
Interesting results!

How Does The Superlative Arms Adjustable Piston System Work in Slomo

Link Posted: 4/14/2020 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting.................
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I like how simple it appears to be.  If it doesn't have wear issues, I may try one out.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like how simple it appears to be.  If it doesn't have wear issues, I may try one out.
View Quote

It may cost you $2.00 every 1k to 2k rounds. I hear that can be the life of the internal op rod spring.  Same spring as any milspec AR mag catch spring.
I just installed my SA piston kit. Love it so far!!
Tip: run from set screw version. Embrace the clamp-on version. Clamp on version is under the slimmest hand guard I have ever see/owned.
Keep a few springs in pistol grip. Note: Unit will cycle fine with broken spring, or even NO spring.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It may cost you $2.00 every 1k to 2k rounds. I hear that can be the life of the internal op rod spring.  Same spring as any milspec AR mag catch spring.
I just installed my SA piston kit. Love it so far!!
Tip: run from set screw version. Embrace the clamp-on version. Clamp on version is under the slimmest hand guard I have ever see/owned.
Keep a few springs in pistol grip.

Note: Unit will cycle fine with broken spring, or even NO spring.
View Quote

Copy that. In fact, the day that I installed the piston, the spring and bushing was not in the sealed box. I called Superlative Arms, and they told me that they were no longer using the bushing nor the spring. They said it was no longer necessary in the design.

If you watch the high speed video,  you'll see the piston "bounce" when it contacts the stop on the gas block.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I got my Thermal sighted in!

350 Legend Subsonic Thermal 100 yard Sight In Superlative Arms Piston

Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Great piston kits! I have a mid and a carbine set up with the clamp on gas block. Will NOT fit under the AGL hand guard.  I believe  the set screw version would fit. Wish I would have gone this route then drilled and pinned.  Super simple to set these up. Check member mbell's YouTube video.  They make a sweet non piston gas block as well.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:10:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have 2 of SA piston systems in use. One on a 18" 5.56, and another on a 20" 224 Valkyrie

Both have been flawless to date.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have found that longer (rifle length vs carbine) gas systems for direct impingement systems have less recoil and function more smoothly in DI rifles.  How does the recoil impulse of this relatively short piston system compare with a rifle length gas system?
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top