Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2022 8:09:42 PM EDT
I'm building out my first EPC-9 (Aero Precision) and forgot to research how to mount a barrel to the receiver (as well as the muzzle device,) before buying everything. My bad.
The barrel vise tools that come up when searching, seem to be for larger length barrels.. I need one for a 4 inch. Can anyone point me to a good one?

I'd appreciate it, thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:20:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm building out my first EPC-9 (Aero Precision) and forgot to research how to mount a barrel to the receiver (as well as the muzzle device,) before buying everything. My bad.
The barrel vise tools that come up when searching, seem to be for larger length barrels.. I need one for a 4 inch. Can anyone point me to a good one?

I'd appreciate it, thanks!
View Quote

You will likely have to clamp the receiver.  Not the best for MD work but you won't be putting any more torque with the MD than the barrel nut.  If you don't have a vice big enough for a clam shell type device there are other ways.

You can also make a barrel vice out of some hardwood.  A rosin made from flour and baking soda helps to keep it from rotating.

Link Posted: 8/3/2022 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
A couple of bar clamps go a long way. Might not be the most convenient, but they get the job done.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Hold the receiver. Barrel nut torque nor MD install torque will be an issue.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#5]
wow ok, thanks for all the advice!
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:39:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Below is the best for 9mm uppers and barrels. Those 2x4 homemade jigs are so hokey.  Spend the $$ and get the correct tool.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 10:45:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Below is the best for 9mm uppers and barrels. Those 2x4 homemade jigs are so hokey.  Spend the $$ and get the correct tool.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/BD229C56-92B5-4D01-A9AA-AD55D4016A12_jpe-2477351.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/278288/5D5A03C9-A53F-4517-9414-1A999BC4FE4F_jpe-2477353.JPG
View Quote

Pfft.  If it works, it works.  And it works.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 9:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pfft.  If it works, it works.  And it works.
View Quote

Pfft….. I can also put a motor together without a torque wrench and it will work but most likely have issues if ran hard sooner or later.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]
A simple strip of leather around the barrel gripped in a bench vise works great.  Leather grips well.  Clamp as close to the muzzle as possible. That ought to be easy on a 4" barrel. Angle the barrel up to access the muzzle device.

Everyone has an old worn out leather belt or strap of some sort around, so its free.

Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pfft….. I can also put a motor together without a torque wrench and it will work but most likely have issues if ran hard sooner or later.
View Quote

Not even relevant!

Use of home made fixtures instead of store bought fixtures is akin to whether you would rather put your motor together on a wood bench or a metal bench, not whether you torqued your fasteners.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:35:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not even relevant!

Use of home made fixtures instead of store bought fixtures is akin to whether you would rather put your motor together on a wood bench or a metal bench, not whether you torqued your fasteners.
View Quote

Same difference…… a workbench can be anything.  A specific clamping device for a specific item, is just that.

Link Posted: 8/9/2022 1:38:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't even use a vise anymore. Just put the clamshell around the upper and clamp it to the table with a big C clamp. Works great.
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 10:29:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Don’t get me wrong,  there are instances where specific tool(s) are require for a given task.  But there is absolutely nothing wrong or incorrect with using wood blocks and clamps as a means for securing a barrel or receiver (or to drive a piston out of an engine being rebuilt).  In many ways they are superior.  Every ‘jig’ has to a greater or lesser extent some amount of play.  Wood will mold around the surface clamped vs touching a single point or surface as a jig does once torque is applied.

An $8500 dual plane spectra physics laser is a great tool made specifically to hold plane.  But $20 spent on a plastic bucket and 15-20’  vinyl tubing taped to a stick is in every way equally as accurate finding level.

Some of you guys remind me of the Harley riders that
only ride if every piece of clothing on them says Harley Davidson.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#16]
It really baffles me.  Someone will spend a minimum of $700 on parts to build a rifle but won’t spend an additional $100 for the correct tools.  

I can build a house with a hammer and a pc of string with a plumb but a cordless drill, air nailer and a real level sure do make it easier, faster and a better build in most cases.  

There is that guy that has $2500 worth of firearms but won’t spend $500 minimum for a safe.  He just locks them in a closet or puts them under the bed.  Don’t be that guy just because you can.

This isn’t GD so carry on with y’all’s gunsmithing 101.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It really baffles me.  Someone will spend a minimum of $700 on parts to build a rifle but won’t spend an additional $100 for the correct tools.  

I can build a house with a hammer and a pc of string with a plumb but a cordless drill, air nailer and a real level sure do make it easier, faster and a better build in most cases.  

There is that guy that has $2500 worth of firearms but won’t spend $500 minimum for a safe.  He just locks them in a closet or puts them under the bed.  Don’t be that guy just because you can.

View Quote

What you and others like you fail to understand is that those of us with inventive minds take a great deal of satisfaction in finding our own means to the same end.  I almost pity those of you with so little imagination or creativity.  It isn't about the money.  Y'all carry on as well, I will

Link Posted: 8/10/2022 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

My argument has nothing to do with being a tight ass with regards to buying tools,  but moreover what works well.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#19]
If it gets the job done correctly without damaging components,  who really gives two shits?

To each their own.
Link Posted: 8/10/2022 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Won't work for a blowback 9mm. There are no lugs for it to lock into.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
You are correct, my bad did not read op post closely.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Installing one barrel is more like building a shelf, not a house.  I used DYI wood blocks for the ONE barrel I changed.
I am more than willing to buy tools, former diesel tech with all Snap On hand tools.

When I was a kid I rebuild my Honda dirt bike engine without a torque wrench and changed the tires with screwdrivers. It worked fine.
As a teen I did engine swaps with a tractor loader, not an engine crane. Worked fine.
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Installing one barrel is more like building a shelf, not a house.  I used DYI wood blocks for the ONE barrel I changed.
I am more than willing to buy tools, former diesel tech with all Snap On hand tools.

When I was a kid I rebuild my Honda dirt bike engine without a torque wrench and changed the tires with screwdrivers. It worked fine.
As a teen I did engine swaps with a tractor loader, not an engine crane. Worked fine.
View Quote

As a teen, I rebuilt my Mustang motor and transmission with basic garage tools many times.  The motor would work and ran well but something would eventually break or not work as well as it should because of the high HP.  Once I started having it built and tuned by a professional with professional tools, it always ran better.  Now the dirt bikes, lawnmowers or compressor motors didn’t really matter because they were just toys/ items that did not really matter if they just stopped working.

One build, maybe some duct tape, a screw driver and a used tire but multiple builds benefit from the proper tools.  
Link Posted: 8/11/2022 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

What you and others like you fail to understand is that those of us with inventive minds take a great deal of satisfaction in finding our own means to the same end.  I almost pity those of you with so little imagination or creativity.  It isn't about the money.  Y'all carry on as well, I will

View Quote

Without a doubt, you are more creative/ imaginative than myself and others that use job specific tools because you post that 2x4 jig every chance you get…….
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top