Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2022 7:24:53 PM EDT
My PSA 300 blackout is my go to coyote gun here in communist California and it’s shooting 3” groups at 100 yards with sig sauer copper ammo.  My psa in 223 Wylde seems to spray like a shotgun with copper ammo but it does pretty well with everything else. I just ran Winchester copper extreme through my super accurate 308 bolt savage and it did an honest to god 12” group.  I thought my scope somehow broke it was so bad.  So I am stuck with my PSA that does 3 inch groups which is just barely good enough to do some coyote hunting out to about 200 yards but still it sucks I have a shit ton of rifles that will do .25 to .5 inch groups but they are useless here in California.  Any luck with finding an accurate copper hunting rounds?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 7:30:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Time to start hand loading? I assume there is some kind of commie rule against ammo that contains any lead and that’s why you can’t use your accurate rifles until you start doing your own loads?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Barrel fouling. Remove all lead and gilding metal down to bare steel.  Start again using only your solid copper ammo.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Wipe-out Clean your rifles until no blue on patch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Try Cavity Back ammo
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 11:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I had no luck handloading the BarnesX bullet when they came out. Ballistic tips were sub .5 moa.

Maybe try a lighter bullet since solid copper has to be longer.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Hand-loaded Barnes 62 grain TSX 10-shot group at 100 yards.  Extreme spread = 0.98".

Factory loaded Hornady 70 grain GMX 10-shot group at 100 yards.  Extreme spread = 1.16".

Link Posted: 8/2/2022 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Clean the bore, also copper rounds are typically longer, a copper round will be a lighter grain but can be longer than a heavier lead round and if you don’t have the right twist you could see poor groups
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top