Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2020 5:22:45 PM EDT
So yesterday I tried to install the barrel nut which came with the Gridlok upper.  At 50 lbs, the max torque, the gas tube channel is not lined up.  It is short by a good 1/4 inch or more.

This is probably due to the monstrously limiting fail of a design.  There are only 6 channels on the outside of the nut, with squared off edges, they look like slots.  If you look at their installation video, it shows a different nut with tons of teeth which looks gear-like in comparison.

I'll post a pic later.  I opened up a tech support request.  What I need is the older barrel nut.
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 6:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
What I need is the older barrel nut.
View Quote

Or shims?
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:10:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the nut:

Attachment Attached File

Here is the lack of it aligning:

Attachment Attached File

My bad, 5 slots on it for the gas tube to fit.

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Or shims?
View Quote

After thermal fitting a Lilja barrel on a Novesk upper?

Negative Ghost Rider.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#4]
After 3 weeks and a new shipment of nuts coming in, I was informed they don't make the old style due to patent issues, so he said cut a channel if I don't use the shims.

So now I weigh taking it apart and doing the thermal fit with shims or dremel time.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 7:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
After 3 weeks and a new shipment of nuts coming in, I was informed they don't make the old style due to patent issues, so he said cut a channel if I don't use the shims.

So now I weigh taking it apart and doing the thermal fit with shims or dremel time.
View Quote

Put the shims between the barrel nut and barrel flange, not between the flange and the receiver.
Keep the barrel in the upper.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:20:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If the handguard doesn't need to time to the barrel nut, just grind a flat for the tube.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd ditch the rail and get something else.  Bubba-ING a nut with dremmel slots isn't something I'd want to do to make a rail fit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:03:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Put the shims between the barrel nut and barrel flange, not between the flange and the receiver.
View Quote

Right here. ^^^^
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd ditch the rail and get something else.  Bubba-ING a nut with dremmel slots isn't something I'd want to do to make a rail fit.
View Quote

The thing is, if those flats serve no purpose in regards to timing of the handguard they serve no purpose other than to frustrate the end user.  Grind that shit off I say
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:30:58 PM EDT
[#10]
$6. No hack job.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I broke out the Dremel, and the Sharpie.  

Revel in the craftsmanship!

Attachment Attached File

with integrated front site up

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I broke out the Dremel, and the Sharpie.  

Revel in the craftsmanship!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/423432/GL_custom_nut_jpg-1747256.JPG

with integrated front site up

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/423432/G2_with_rail_jpg-1747260.JPG
View Quote

Way to giterdun!  Looks good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oops, I should have read the more carefully.

I'll roll with the Bubba'd barrel nut for now, but I could always get another nut and try that in the future.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 5:23:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Negative Ghost Rider.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or shims?

Negative Ghost Rider.

I'm not sure why you think shims between the extension shoulder and barrel nut are going to cause issues.  I've used them plenty of times on precision builds without issue.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Getting ready to change into someone more comfortable. Name changes coming.
Link Posted: 12/26/2020 2:00:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Never understood the thermal fit. If you heat it and the aluminum expands then contracts as it cools it would leave some small gap between the barrel flange and the upper. How would you ever get an accurate torque reading with the upper walls gripping the barrel extension? If it was gripping the extension too tight would the barrel flange ever even seat against the upper with any amount of torque really holding it in place? I could understand maybe wanting a little tight slip fit but not having to heat one to put it together.
View Quote

I can understand your concern but threads will pull that in no problem.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not sure why you think shims between the extension shoulder and barrel nut are going to cause issues.  I've used them plenty of times on precision builds without issue.
View Quote

I meant I didn't want to go through the bother of removing and reinstalling the barrel with the shims.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I meant I didn't want to go through the bother of removing and reinstalling the barrel with the shims.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can't put the shims in between the upper and barrel extension, the extension pin is in the way.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I hate the be that guy, but did you grease up the thread? Usually when I do that, max torque, back off, max torque and then torque again, it usually clears another 1/2-1 inch
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:41:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

Just so everyone is on the same page.....
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#21]
And a followup to some comments.

1) I didn't grease up the thread, I did use anti-seize

2) I was totally spacing and thinking the shims went between the barrel and receiver extension, which is obviously wrong.  I think part of this is due to all the barrel mounting discussions where people are using shims, and I was thinking wrong about those shims.

3) On an ironice side note, I purchased another Strike Industries Gridlok rail, in 15" length.  

This is because the JP Enterprises thermal dissipator I got for another build won't fit inside the STNGR VLCN handguard I am using.  1.375" needed, 1.35" in the STNGR.
So I ordered the main body of the Gridlok (I still need the pieces which are often colored, because I want FDE and its not instock), 1.6" ID of clearance
The GrikLok handguard arrived with .......  THE OLD STYLE BARREL NUT.

What I am thinking of doing, is when I order the FDE Gridlok parts from Strike, I'll get another barrel nut and remount the handguard.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top