Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2020 2:11:02 PM EDT
Hi from Switzerland,

I’m looking at a Colt government carbine (6520) for sale. The seller says it’s 100% orignal. Pics:

My problems are:
- why an older style receiver extension nut?
- how come an SP1 bolt (!) found its way into a 6520?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Photo's are too small and grainy for me to answer questions bro.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Can’t you click on the pictures to get them full resolution?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
He should be able to, I just did without and problems.  Can't answer your questions though.  Someone should come along and help.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:51:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hi from Switzerland,

I’m looking at a Colt government carbine (6520) for sale. The seller says it’s 100% orignal.

My problems are:
- why an older style receiver extension nut?
- how come an SP1 bolt (!) found its way into a 6520?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!
View Quote

Your pictures are coming out fine.  What do you mean by “older style receiver extension nut”? Also, I do not see the photo of the SP1 bolt carrier you are asking about.  If you are asking about the bolt itself, they are the same.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:55:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Where are you seeing a SP-1 bolt? The bolts were the same anyway, it was the carrier that was different. As far as the receiver extension nut, well it's a Colt and anythings possible.  Is it staked? Does it show signs of replacement? If that's the biggest beef, you're good to go.

M16, the nut isn't a castle nut, it uses a spanner.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like an early one with an early style RE lock nut. What makes you think it isn't original?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your pictures are coming out fine.  What do you mean by “older style receiver extension nut”? Also, I do not see the photo of the SP1 bolt carrier you are asking about.  If you are asking about the bolt itself, they are the same.
View Quote

It has the early extension nut that you would see on an SP1 carbine, not the newer castle nut.

Regarding the bolt, I’m talking about the actual bolt, not the carrier. The little canted marks behind the lugs are characteristic of the SP1 bolt.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys,did the 6520s originally come with m4 cut extensions?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looks like an early one with an early style RE lock nut. What makes you think it isn't original?
View Quote

I am well aware that Colt has a history of just assembling early and late parts together, but I just find the presence of such early parts on a 6520 a little strange.

Maybe I’m just a little paranoid.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:05:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Could be an early one.  It doesn't have the block.
What's the serial number?  You can XX out the last two digits.
How many positions is the receiver extension?
What do the lock ring stakes look like?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Could be an early one.  It doesn't have the block.
What's the serial number?  You can XX out the last two digits.
How many positions is the receiver extension?
What does the lock ring stakes look like?
View Quote

Hmmm. But as the 6520 came out several years after the A2 sporter II (6420) which already mostly had the A2 parts, isn’t it strange?
As I only have the pictures, I’m only able to see the first 2 digits : GC00XXXX.
Extension is correct, 2 positions.
From what I can tell, it’s staked but can’t see how it’s been done.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Double tap
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The more I look at it the more I think it's a 1988 6520.
Marked A2, but it's an A1 lower and no fence.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Guys,did the 6520s originally come with m4 cut extensions?
View Quote

I don't think the early large front pin ones did but I could be wrong. The later guns had them.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Regarding the bolt, I’m talking about the actual bolt, not the carrier. The little canted marks behind the lugs are characteristic of the SP1 bolt.
View Quote

The little “canted marks” are indicative of COLT bolts, and were on ALL Colt bolts from Vietnam weapons, and all SP1’s.  I’m not sure about current bolts.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am well aware that Colt has a history of just assembling early and late parts together, but I just find the presence of such early parts on a 6520 a little strange.

Maybe I’m just a little paranoid.
View Quote

Someone would have to really work at replacing a proper castle nut w/ the early style - to what end?
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The little “canted marks” are indicative of COLT bolts, and were on ALL Colt bolts from Vietnam weapons, and all SP1’s.  I’m not sure about current bolts.
View Quote

Got it, good to know!
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Someone would have to really work at replacing a proper castle nut w/ the early style - to what end?
View Quote

Well, you got a good point there.

Looks definitely original, then.

Thanks everybody!
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 5:11:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

It has the early extension nut that you would see on an SP1 carbine, not the newer castle nut.

View Quote

That's just where the tooling cut as it travelled around the rear of lugs. Typical of '90s and older Colt bolts. Newer bolts do not share that characteristic.

Not sure if it was unique to bolts actually produced by Colt or a subcontractor.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, here’s my 1988 transitional one, identical to yours except for markings, still marked Sporter II, that would be a R6420. I wrote to Colt who answered that their records indicate that this rifle left as a Government Carbine Model # R6520. I would guess they were built just a few months apart. I am also in Switzerland

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

The rifle you showed seems fine to me. From my experience those kind of older rifles do not show up for sale that often in our country. I would be all over it if I didn’t already have one. Fyi I paid CHF 1700 for mine in 2014, with a cheap Chinese scope, a rifle pouch and 400 rounds of nice South African ammo. Prices might be a bit softer nowadays.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 2:33:52 AM EDT
[#22]
FYI, Colt receiver extension nut stakes are always square.  If they are round then it has probably been messed with.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 12:35:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top