Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 2:01:21 AM EDT
There are aluminum, stainless steel, and polymer AR15 magazines. I don't recall if there are regular steel magazines. Anyway, should a person who keeps them loaded for an extended period of time use some kind of clamp near the feed lips to prevent them from spreading?

I know the Pmags have covers for their mags. I'm unsure if this will prevent the feed lips from spreading.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:05:35 AM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:14:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't overthink it
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Saw a post on one of the Facebook groups I am in last week I think where someone have a 40 round Pmag loaded in a rifle for 2.5 years develop a crack at the feed lips. USGI and Lancer mags don’t seem to have this problem.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Saw a post on one of the Facebook groups I am in last week I think where someone have a 40 round Pmag loaded in a rifle for 2.5 years develop a crack at the feed lips. USGI and Lancer mags don’t seem to have this problem.
View Quote
Not doubting you but “my friend’s, ex-girlfriend’s, brother’s, best friend....” anecdotes are not really conclusive one way or the other.

ETA- I have a range bag full of gen2, gen3 and even original PMAGS (from ‘07???) that I use on a monthly (sometimes weekly) basis. Hundreds of cycles of loading, sitting, shooting and dropping. I have yet to wear one out or had any problem with feed lips spreading. Again, anecdotal, YMMV.

Yes, the PMAG dust cover does relieve the pressure of the loaded rounds on the feed lips, by design. If you think that is an important feature, buy the gen3 as it comes with the dust cover.

OP- forget about “clamps” that is just going to create problems you never had before. What if the clamp pressure bends the feed lips? (for example).
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:07:32 AM EDT
[#5]
About half of those Pmag covers pop off in storage anyway.

40 mag Pmags crack.  That's a fact of life around the competition crowd.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
No.
View Quote
Jesus. Don't over complicate shit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
How long does it take for issues to appear?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on how many partial mag reloads you do really.

They most all have extensions and hit the ground pretty hard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not doubting you but “my friend’s, ex-girlfriend’s, brother’s, best friend....” anecdotes are not really conclusive one way or the other.

ETA- I have a range bag full of gen2, gen3 and even original PMAGS (from ‘07???) that I use on a monthly (sometimes weekly) basis. Hundreds of cycles of loading, sitting, shooting and dropping. I have yet to wear one out or had any problem with feed lips spreading. Again, anecdotal, YMMV.

Yes, the PMAG dust cover does relieve the pressure of the loaded rounds on the feed lips, by design. If you think that is an important feature, buy the gen3 as it comes with the dust cover.

OP- forget about “clamps” that is just going to create problems you never had before. What if the clamp pressure bends the feed lips? (for example).
View Quote
That is true and I personally haven’t had an issue ether from leaving them loaded. I own more Pmags then any other mag and will continue to buy more.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 40 round pmags must not be as durable as the 30 round I take it?
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just a bigger hammer hitting those feedlips.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
It would be interesting if a 30 round Pmag was loaded along side the 40 round one above to see if it developed feed lip cracks as well. Also, the above doesn't specify if the mag had a cover on it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:...Yes, the PMAG dust cover does relieve the pressure of the loaded rounds on the feed lips, by design. If you think that is an important feature, buy the gen3 as it comes with the dust cover.

View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:17:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Pop off in storage on the 30 round mags as well?

If the covers pop off in storage on the 40 round mags, or even the 30 round ones, maybe the answer is to download them by 10%.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:29:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Ive got M2 Pmags that have been stored loaded for 5-7 years w/o covers.  No issues.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:40:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ive got M2 Pmags that have been stored loaded for 5-7 years w/o covers.  No issues.
View Quote
Good to know.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

If the covers pop off in storage on the 40 round mags, or even the 30 round ones, maybe the answer is to download them by 10%.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About 3 weeks back, I opened 5 brand new Gen M3s and loaded them, snapped the covers in.  Left for a week, came back, two covers popped loose.

Has been my experience with those things since the RevM.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
About 3 weeks back, I opened 5 brand new Gen M3s and loaded them, snapped the covers in.  Left for a week, came back, two covers popped loose.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were they loaded to capacity? If so, try the same thing by downloading them by 10%.

I vaguely remember skimming over a shootout type review of a few magazines, including the M3s and M2s in the same review. Either the M2s won or the reviewers preferred them to the M3s.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 2:50:23 AM EDT
[#19]
I had roughly 10 magazines... usgi loaded in my safe for over 10 years.

I shot 5  magazines this summer no issue whatsoever.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here. A few years ago I found a USGI mag that I had left behind at my parents house. It had been there for 10+ years(closer to 15) fully loaded. When I took it out and shot it, No issues.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 7:47:48 AM EDT
[#21]
I keep around six mags loaded for the AR for bump in the night stuff. All of them are aluminum or steel. Not that I don't trust the PMAGs, but for close encounters of the wrong kind, I want to be sure.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top