User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 11
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Given the M96 could be converted into a top-feed, if one bought one of the handful of top feed kits when they were on sale, it would seem as faithful a rendition a commercial manufacturer could do, given ATF rules.  I know everyone likes to hate on Robinson, but no one else has ever come close to putting a clone in production, and you have to give the man credit, it's as much as a clone as Nodak-Spud's Snow Mexican 180 venture is of an AR-180.

OP's is far closer, but it ain't for sale.
View Quote
Apart from a couple of fasteners and the plastic, it's all Cadillac Gage manufactured parts, so......
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Took my Stoner to a gunshow this weekend and it found a playmate.

Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:14:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Pure sex.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Details, man, details?
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
There was no sex. They are both neutered. Actually, a buddy of mine with a semi auto Stoner build met me at the show to check out the progress with my project and to compare notes on our builds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There was no sex. They are both neutered. Actually, a buddy of mine with a semi auto Stoner build met me at the show to check out the progress with my project and to compare notes on our builds.
View Quote

That's very cool.  Did he use one of those same Stoner receiver flats you found?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 3:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
His was the same as mine. He said he knows someone with one out west. That tells me there are more out there somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wanted to say great job OP. She looks great. Can’t wait to see more pics/videos fin it in action!
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
His was the same as mine. He said he knows someone with one out west. That tells me there are more out there somewhere.
View Quote
If someone is really dedicated to finding one of these hens teeth, I would guess (only a guess) trying:

- Sarco.  Get someone on the phone.

- scout Knob Creek and SAR show

- post add on the Sturm message boards

Would be cool to see several Arfcommers working together on these.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all. Several people are working with several manufacturers to do volume production of parts. It's a loosely knit consortium right now, but I'm hoping enough people end up offering parts to make this doable without having to go through what I did to build a gun. When parts start flowing, we'll post ads in the appropriate places. I have no barrels left for sale and am not taking any orders at this time. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:31:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 7:21:44 AM EDT
[#12]
So, have ya shot it yet?  We're all waiting on a range report and hopefully a video
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Not yet. Have been crazy busy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Tell ya what, I'm in Florida too.  I'll be happy to drive to you, film, tote ammo, etc.  If it'll help you out, that is.

ka
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 4:00:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Tell ya what, I'm in Florida too.  I'll be happy to drive to you, film, tote ammo, etc.  If it'll help you out, that is.

ka
View Quote
Retro Brotherly Love in action!

Might help if you offer to BUY the ammo and beer after KinAirPilot!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 4:17:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the offers. Okay, the first set of competed photos, the gun was "rattle canned" with $3.99 hardware store primer and paint. Looked good for a gunshow, but not durable. So, I stripped the paint and and drove couple hundred miles to a friend's manufacturing company and he was kind enough to phosphate it (I need to find a new local finisher). Now it has a nice gray basecoat. Contempating Duracoat to fill the tiny pits in the metal. And I've been putting in a new mailbox and removing carbine sights and bayonet lugs from uncooperative demil stubs. Need to clean a little more weld from the interior and as soon as I shoot it, I'll post a video here....if I can figure out how to post a video here....

Link Posted: 5/5/2018 6:49:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Ya know what?  I'd be down for a case of ammo.  Beer is another story....  That'd be 2 cases.

ka
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Girlfriend had lunch with friends today, so I took advantage of quality time with my Stoner. Finally finished clearing the interior of the receiver of weld crud and metal deformation.  Bolt carrier and op rod ride slick as snot now.  Because the ejector housing was from a demil, it has some issues. Will ream the ejector bore at the shop this week. Lube, assemble and test fire.  I excite!
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:02:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the offers. Okay, the first set of competed photos, the gun was "rattle canned" with $3.99 hardware store primer and paint. Looked good for a gunshow, but not durable. So, I stripped the paint and and drove couple hundred miles to a friend's manufacturing company and he was kind enough to phosphate it (I need to find a new local finisher). Now it has a nice gray basecoat. Contempating Duracoat to fill the tiny pits in the metal. And I've been putting in a new mailbox and removing carbine sights and bayonet lugs from uncooperative demil stubs. Need to clean a little more weld from the interior and as soon as I shoot it, I'll post a video here....if I can figure out how to post a video here....

http://i.imgur.com/nEQzJHY.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zwidLkv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oMN0mXp.jpg
View Quote
Sweet.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:27:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Those blueprints are mondo cool. The gentleman who does them has been super helpful with my project and to others working on such endeavors.  He's easy enough to find if people are interested in purchasing (since I don't think I can advertise here). Speaking of interested in purchasing, a good sized firearms manufacturing company has offered to manufacture semi auto Stoner 63 compatible bolt carriers. They need a head count of interested people to figure out how large of a run to do and what the cost per unit will be.  I am hoping they will not be more than $200-250 each (stripped). I get nothing out of this except the same opportunity as y'all to buy a spare carrier or two. Need at least 50 to make it happen for a reasonable price. Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:05:41 PM EDT
[#22]
If I could find some the receiver shells, I'd certainly be in for a bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#23]
There are a couple people working on receivers.  They don't want to be identified until they have product ready to ship.There are bunches of rifle/carbine front sights, barrel extensions, ejector blocks, trunnions, bolts, and other small parts floating around from demil kits. Since the companies that have the capabilities to make these guns aren't doing it (at least right now), we are on our own. Everytime cut myself or run across a twisted, rusty demil part that doesn't want to remil, I think, "If I could buy it at Wallymart, it would not be special." Now I have to make a semi auto firing pin retainer. I was hoping to have her shooting by my next range day of June 2, but.....damn....firing pin retainer. This semi auto compliance BS is just that....BS.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
There are a couple people working on receivers.  They don't want to be identified until they have product ready to ship.There are bunches of rifle/carbine front sights, barrel extensions, ejector blocks, trunnions, bolts, and other small parts floating around from demil kits. Since the companies that have the capabilities to make these guns aren't doing it (at least right now), we are on our own. Everytime cut myself or run across a twisted, rusty demil part that doesn't want to remil, I think, "If I could buy it at Wallymart, it would not be special." Now I have to make a semi auto firing pin retainer. I was hoping to have her shooting by my next range day of June 2, but.....damn....firing pin retainer. This semi auto compliance BS is just that....BS.
View Quote
Very interesting. Smart on their part as well. I really hope this stuff becomes available.

I hear you on the rest of that. Personally I like the adventure of scrounging parts and then building them. However, I’m not sure I’ve even seen even one part for a stoner for sale. Granted, that makes it have some appeal for me. But I would like to find a few things to give me some hope that someday I could maybe finish it. Not that it would take much. It wouldn’t be the 1st time one small part led me to a build. Hell I have a PE-57 parts kit in the someday pile.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 11:37:19 PM EDT
[#25]
The guy who was selling "parts kits" pretty regularly on Gunbroker about a year ago got bought out by someone who is involved in this manufacturing endeavor. Not sure when he's going to start selling the kits again. He's sorta organizing, cataloging and studying the various variations of parts. Another person involved recently unearthed a cache of about 50 demilled guns. Don't know their status. Our consortium is talking with several different gun and parts mfgrs about making various parts. Nothing in this world happens quickly.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Waffen,

You should do a documentary video of this build process for posterity. Just do NOT post it on youtube, since they will pull it down as a "firearms instructional video."
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The guy who was selling "parts kits" pretty regularly on Gunbroker about a year ago got bought out by someone who is involved in this manufacturing endeavor. Not sure when he's going to start selling the kits again. He's sorta organizing, cataloging and studying the various variations of parts. Another person involved recently unearthed a cache of about 50 demilled guns. Don't know their status. Our consortium is talking with several different gun and parts mfgrs about making various parts. Nothing in this world happens quickly or easily.  Here's a CAD image of the semi bolt carrier.

http://i.imgur.com/gazyY18.jpg
View Quote
I understand completely with regard to what it takes to produce something like this. Between programming, machine time, etc, it's not a fast process. I'll have to start keeping an eye out for kits/parts. Quite frankly, until I started looking at this thread I was unaware anything like that existed for these particular weapons. I just assumed they were either scrapped or behind glass somewhere.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Stopped by a friend's manufacturing company to get some parts demensioned and look at some similar designs to get some ideas for a semi auto firing pin retainer.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I was talking to someone last night who says he should have a lot more demil parts kits available soon. Semi auto bolt carriers are about ready to be run by someone else. I talked to them about ejector blocks and trunnions as many of those don't survive the demil (and sometimes remil) process. Some parts have popped up on Gunbroker. I don't know the sellers.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#30]
Took a break from the carbine to work on drilling fixtures for carbine barrels. What is simple enough for a competent machinist to do in a matter of minutes on a manual mill, I can do in a matter of hours (and always manage to break a couple of steel end mills on 6061 aluminum). Oh well. Next is a rifle sight fixture, a fixed LMG gas block fixture and an adjustable LMG gas block fixture and some height blocks......after I finish my semi auto firing pin retainer.

Link Posted: 6/1/2018 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Customer supplied carbine front sights and bayonet lugs. Several decades of sitting and rusting made some of those pins a mutherbitch to remove. Soaking for weeks in penetrating oil and evaporust in ultrasonic cleaners, 20 ton presses, heating with torches, hammers and punches had no effect on removing them. Thank goodness for Mr. Bridgeport (and those deadly accurate fixtures I made). Core drilled those pins and they tapped right out. Modified a friend's M96 stock to fit his Stoner today. I'll be glad when someone makes ready fit stocks. Someone is working on them...along with pistol grips, fore ends, bolt carriers, op rods, barrels,  receivers, rear sight housings, gas tubes, mag wells, and ejector housings. Exciting times are these.
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 8:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Brilliant..!!!

Link Posted: 6/7/2018 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Installed the firing pin retainer today. I won't be at the range until Father's Day, but I couldn't wait  to make sure it worked. I reassembled the carbine. I went into my backyard and chambered a primed 5.56mm case. I pulled the trigger and she went "bang" just like she was supposed to Have a million things to make and to before Father's Day to keep my mind off shooting her. I will get and post video of range day.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 2:46:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the update, and happy shooting!
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#35]
My Father's Day range day was cancelled, but I had a few spare minutes at the shop today. Successful test fire! I am beyond happy. I'll be even happier when I get back from Europe July 4 and can take some range video. Until then, here's a couple GIF's.

Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#36]
The beast lives...!!

Link Posted: 6/18/2018 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Bloody well outstanding!
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 1:22:14 AM EDT
[#38]
This is so cool .
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 8:04:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks..  Of course, now Robinson is teasing us with the reintro of the M96. Check out their Facebook page
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 4:19:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Thanks..  Of course, now Robinson is teasing us with the reintro of the M96. Check out their Facebook page
View Quote
https://www.facebook.com/xcrrobarm/
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 5:59:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Unless the redid the whollllllllllllllle thing to as close to the 63A as possible, I will count it as a fail.
Link Posted: 6/24/2018 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Stopped by a friend's manufacturing company to get some parts demensioned and look at some similar designs to get some ideas for a semi auto firing pin retainer. http://i.imgur.com/De2eBNR.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 9:04:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Way cool project.  Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#45]
I would have never even considered a Stoner as a grail gun for me,nothing more than a childs dream.
but here we are with the possibility of receivers and parts being available to build one,strange and wonderful days indeed.
Thanks OP,I've thoroughly enjoyed watching you build yours
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would have never even considered a Stoner as a grail gun for me,nothing more than a childs dream.
but here we are with the possibility of receivers and parts being available to build one,strange and wonderful days indeed.
Thanks OP,I've thoroughly enjoyed watching you build yours
View Quote
I try not to think about this as the 63 is also one of my grail guns and I have been dying for one since reading about them in Jane's back in the late 70s early 80s.  I AM on my second AutoMag, however and it's one of the new ones.....so there is always hope!
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Any updates?  Range report?  Target date for commercial release? (I can wish, can't I?)

ka
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Sorry, been out of town for most of last month and a half. Family stuff.  First shot on a paper target at 15 yards keyholed. I then remembered I was using an original 1/12 twist barrel and 62 grain .223 ammo. I switched to 55 grain and got round holes. I need to open the ejection port a little more. Maybe snip a coil or two off  the recoil spring as every other round wants to get caught in the port. Maybe get into the shop next week to do that and make some more fixtures.
Link Posted: 8/3/2018 8:45:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Sorry, been out of town for most of last month and a half. Family stuff.  First shot on a paper target at 15 yards keyholed. I then remembered I was using an original 1/12 twist barrel and 62 grain .223 ammo. I switched to 55 grain and got round holes. I need to open the ejection port a little more. Maybe snip a coil or two off  the recoil spring as every other round wants to get caught in the port. Maybe get into the shop next week to do that and make some more fixtures.
View Quote
Excellent update!
Link Posted: 8/15/2018 8:28:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Almost forgot I had this stock.

Looks like it swings both ways :)
Page / 11
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top