Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2024 5:36:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgthatred]
Finished the design of the reproduction Stoner 63 scope mount. Old thread was archived.

Now to have it 3D printed to check that all works and fits before spending the effort and money making reproductions in steel.
The exploded views below do not have the spring shown that is under the button.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 5:37:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/7/2024 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Amazing work!  Love it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Fantastic..!!!

Great work!
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 5:44:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Progress has been made, and some redesign needed too on the latch.

3D printed in nylon 12 to check for fit and function before getting them machined in steel.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sgthatred:
Progress has been made, and some redesign needed too on the latch.

3D printed in nylon 12 to check for fit and function before getting them machined in steel.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220681/a_jpg-3155607.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/220681/b_jpg-3155608.JPG
View Quote
If I could own any Stoner 63 variant...what you are holding would be it.  

That prototype is spot on by the (quick) looks of it!  It seems that the rear sight of the rifle prevents you from making a "product improved" version that would be lower.  Am I correct in that?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:01:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgthatred] [#7]
If you own the Stoner receiver technically you have the ability to have all the configurations, its just collecting all the parts for each variant.

I intend to make a lower mount that might sit a bit forward of the rear sight to use a red dot type of sight.

Stoner owners are not necessary looking for a practical scope mount for shooting but for a piece of kit that comes closer to finishing out their Stoner collection. Original mounts are damn near unobtainable.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 9:32:42 PM EDT
[#8]
If you own the Stoner receiver technically you have the ability to have all the configurations, its just collecting all the parts for each variant.

I intend to make a lower mount that might sit a bit forward of the rear sight to use a red dot type of sight.

Stoner owners are not necessary looking for a practical scope mount for shooting but for a piece of kit that comes closer to finishing out their Stoner collection. Original mounts are damn near unobtainable.
View Quote
Yeah, I have finally accepted the fact that the 63A is the one grail gun I won't have.  It's okay, I have all of my others....

....but sure would love to shoot one just once.  

I really appreciate guys like you and Mongo sharing all the technical details that helped remove a lot of the mystery of the 63 series.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:54:21 PM EDT
[#9]
If we ever run into each other at a shoot you can let a belt go on the Stoner.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know much about the platform BUT I do know good work when see it.

NICE JOB!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
If we ever run into each other at a shoot you can let a belt go on the Stoner.
View Quote
I would love to run one just once.  Thank you!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I just realized I did not have a picture of the original scope mount I was trying to reproduce in the thread. Unfortunately a picture is my only reference so I had to reverse engineer the design without any known dimensions except the interface dimensions and the STANAG scope interface dimensions.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Have you tried doing a picture scale underlay, within your 3D model to compare the mount profile?
It might help confirm the outer profile geometry and some of the other feature locations. I think you can do it with only one dimensional reference.

Let me know if you want me to make a 3D model from your picture of the original mount.

I can export it in .stp or .stl and a .dxf flat pattern if you want to laser the side plates (if you make it a weldment).

Looks awesome btw.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 5:27:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TC1030:
Have you tried doing a picture scale underlay, within your 3D model to compare the mount profile?
It might help confirm the outer profile geometry and some of the other feature locations. I think you can do it with only one dimensional reference.

Let me know if you want me to make a 3D model from your picture of the original mount.

I can export it in .stp or .stl and a .dxf flat pattern if you want to laser the side plates (if you make it a weldment).

Looks awesome btw.
View Quote
you mean like this? The original was made from bar stock so that's how I was duplicating it. The more custom mount I will make for a more modern red dot optic might be constructed differently.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep, that’s it.
Does your software do the 2D to 3D edge projection off of the picture contrast or did you have to manually do the edge selection with point to point geometry?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 6:54:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TC1030:
Yep, that's it.
Does your software do the 2D to 3D edge projection off of the picture contrast or did you have to manually do the edge selection with point to point geometry?
View Quote
I first plotted out the known dimensions and sized the image  to approximately fix then I drew lines and adjusted. The mount also has to avoid the rear sight so I had to model that in as well to make sure it cleared. That was actually the hardest part since the original designer must not have believed in standard angles like 30 and 45.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Great work.
I’m looking forward to seeing the steel mount and the range review.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 5:57:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coctailer] [#18]
This is not the EE
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:21:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: coctailer] [#19]
This is not the EE
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:24:15 PM EDT
[#20]
nylon is fine.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top