Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/25/2019 5:20:10 PM EDT
I want to build an accurate copy, semiautomatic though, of a Colt 635 SMG, does anyone have a good source for parts and information on exactly what they were put together with?  It’s going to be an SBR.
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 6:48:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What a Country has the parts kits in stock...

https://whatacountry.com/colt-9mm-smg-parts-kit.aspx

Pretty pricey now days...
Link Posted: 3/25/2019 7:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I got a barrel from Macon Armory.  Used front site I set screw in.  I'll look back where I got the 9mm rear peep as it's different than a standard A1, though thinking it was Rock River maybe?
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 4:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there any 634 kicking around down there. The 634 is the semi auto only version of the 635 9mm SMG. I know up here there was a bunch of contract over runs released to the civilian market and then there was some LE trade ins. The lowers say 9mm SMG on them. The only other option is buying a regular 9mm lower and putting a 10.5" upper on it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 4:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
Doah!  I think I paid about the same price about 7 years ago. I'm tempted to get that kit as spares!   They weren't as common when I was looking and I had to have one.

They are not as common as other retro guns and the supply will dwindle as the retro addicts consume the surplus.  One can find a slick slide 5.56  carry handle upper and add the 9mm parts to get a resemblance.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 6:01:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is there any 634 kicking around down there. The 634 is the semi auto only version of the 635 9mm SMG. I know up here there was a bunch of contract over runs released to the civilian market and then there was some LE trade ins. The lowers say 9mm SMG on them. The only other option is buying a regular 9mm lower and putting a 10.5" upper on it.
View Quote
The 634 is considered a machine gun in the US.  Yes, it's semi only but the lower is machined and drilled for an auto sear.
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got a barrel from Macon Armory.  Used front site I set screw in.  I'll look back where I got the 9mm rear peep as it's different than a standard A1, though thinking it was Rock River maybe?
View Quote
This is the rear sight aperture you want for the A1 style 9mm upper. They don't show it, but this one is correctly marked 50M.

Sorry, forgot to include link....https://jtdistributing.com/ar15-a2-rear-sight-aperture-9mm
Link Posted: 3/26/2019 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Doah!  I think I paid about the same price about 7 years ago. I'm tempted to get that kit as spares!   They weren't as common when I was looking and I had to have one.

They are not as common as other retro guns and the supply will dwindle as the retro addicts consume the surplus.  One can find a slick slide 5.56  carry handle upper and add the 9mm parts to get a resemblance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've gotten a couple RO635 kits here years back they were better when they were $400 out of stock now...

http://www.midwest-distributors.com/Colt-9mm-SMG-Parts-Kit_p_168.html

Here's my 9mm 635 clone...

Link Posted: 3/26/2019 5:03:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, that gives me some really good information. I got caught up in the retro bug with a Troy XM177E2 and then a few from Brownells. Now I’m hooked.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I picked mine up on GB for about $550.00. The outside was well worn but inside like new.   It shoots great!  It came with a Colt one piece block, but I used a Hann drop in block for quick change out to 5.56mm. It works great.

Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:04:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I built a clone before knowing what it was (Colt 635) and put an A1 grip on mine. Guess I'll have to swap it out with an A2 to be more accurate.

Got the Colt upper years ago. Must have been a group demill?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 8:13:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I built a clone before knowing what it was (Colt 635) and put an A1 grip on mine. Guess I'll have to swap it out with an A2 to be more accurate.

Got the Colt upper years ago. Must have been a group demill?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/249712/20190327_200552_jpg-892424.JPG
View Quote
I did the same. I don't like the A2 grips.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I did the same. I don't like the A2 grips.
View Quote
Mine has an A1 grip as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:34:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are any companies making a 10.5” 9mm barrel with a 0.625” journal, and/or with the 0.625” front sight base installed?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
I haven't seen any 9mm barrels that are made to Colt dimensions...

Probably not enough calling for barrel makers to produce them...
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are any companies making a 10.5” 9mm barrel with a 0.625” journal, and/or with the 0.625” front sight base installed?

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
JT Distributing makes a lightweight 9mm barrel. If you phone the order in they will install whatever front sight base you want (F marked or A2).

https://jtdistributing.com/10-9mm-lightweight-barrel
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a bunch of Colt 9mm stuff kicking around as I kind of went on a bender on it.

I have stripped and partially stripped upper receivers and I believe an 11.5” Colt barreled upper as well as a NOS stripped upper.

Let me know what you need and I’ll see if I have it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:37:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/2/2019 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I hope you find what you need OP. I just got this finished about a month ago.

Link Posted: 4/4/2019 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I just bought an smg 635 complete upper very reasonable but I’m using a colt pistol lower with sba3 I just don’t have patients for an SBR wait I also built a few over the years and my early TA seriel number Colt carbine was basically same thing with A 16” barrel.
I just bought a 6951 unfired in box with 3 colt mags in wrappers for $900 and I’m turning it into an older 6450 look , just got colt carry handle and 6 hole skinny HGs for it. But I love the colt 9mm dedicated lowers they run everything with no issues IMO I’m using a Blitzkreig buffer with springco 308 carbine spring it’s light night and day from a heavy buffer setup,
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top