BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/2/2018 10:13:14 AM EDT
Soo another AR 7.62x39 Granite State build is in the works, it will be a "budget" build by Son #1, it will be mostly a Deer/Hog Rifle...It shapes
up like this mostly:

> 20" YHM Chrome Moly Alloy with Full Melonite Finish with a Rifle Length Gas System (Great Accuracy begins with a Great Barrel)...
> YHM Extended Charging Handle to help with ease of use with a scoped rifle...
> BCA USA Manufactured BCG in x39mm Caliber (Not my first choice but was in stock)...
> USA Manufactured 17" Ultra Lite Keymod Handguard 7075-T6 Type III...
> USA Manufactured CMA Low Profile and Lite Weight Clamp-On Gas Block...
> Standard A2 hardware, standard AR-15 lower and upper (Picatinny Rails on Upper) receivers...
> POF 3.5 LBS. Crisp Single Stage Trigger Module...
> German Minox 4-14 X 44mm Variable Scope with Warne QD Steel Rings...
> Brass Cased Custom Ammo in 110gr., 123gr./125gr., 130gr., and 140gr. Loads...
> Winchester factory 124gr. FMJBT brass cased factory loads for Initial testing...
> Pro Digital Chrono for Velocity testing...
> A box of condoms fully ribbed for extra safety...

So the main question is this: Which brand of x39mm AR-15 magazine brand does the hive recommend that they have found to be reliable
for you ?

Any other thoughts or recommendations are welcome...

Fully aware that the x39mm round was never designed to function well in a AR-15 platform...yet we soldier on America.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:12:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Before I sold my x39, I used these.  Never had a single problem
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#2]
my pws diablo likes asc mags built after 2015
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 11:58:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Some people like the ASC but everybody says Cproducts are the best when you can find them in stock.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:06:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some people like the ASC but everybody says Cproducts are the best when you can find them in stock.
View Quote
I have both ASC and C-Product mags and both work fine.  C-Products has the better overall rep from my experience.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have both ASC and C-Product mags and both work fine.  C-Products has the better overall rep from my experience.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Never had an issue from either of these brands. Own 10rd & 30rd in both.
Link Posted: 6/2/2018 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#6]
C Products and ASC seem to be the go tos now.  I finished up a 7.62 PWS build a few weeks ago.  So far I've run the C Products 20 rounders without issue.

The biggest problem at the moment is finding the 30's in stock.

I've bought a couple ASC 30's but have not tested them yet.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 2:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I just finished a build this week and ran 140 rounds through it Friday afternoon. I bought two C products, a 30 banana and a 10 rounder. The 30 rounder I only loaded to 25 everytime.  Both functioned flawlessly, no hiccups at all. When I bought the mags my LGS only had the C products mags, they recommended them saying they have tried all of the available mags and the C products worked the best.

My build is  PSA 16” upper with a Burris 3x scope on a Frontier lower. It took six sighters at 25 then moved to 50 and 100 yards. After a full range day qualifying then staying late to sight this rifle in, in the SE Texas heat I as beat. So my groups were really going to shit!
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Soo another AR 7.62x39 Granite State build is in the works, it will be a "budget" build by Son #1, it will be mostly a Deer/Hog Rifle...

So the main question is this: Which brand of x39mm AR-15 magazine brand does the hive recommend that they have found to be reliable
for you ?

View Quote
I’ve had excellent luck  C-Products Defense magazines in my 7.62x39 upper.  A couple hundred rounds downrange with zero magazine issues.

Sounds like you are planning on reloading, but I’ll mention I’ve had good accuracy from Hornady steel case SST’s:

Attachment Attached File

I’m still planning to work up some handloads for my upper, but I wouldn’t hesitate to take the Hornady factory SSTs hunting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#10]
My experience is the C-Products worked best.

I've shot their 20 & 30 with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 6:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
C products.

I’m really curious how that YHM barrel with a rifle gas system will work.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:25:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

C_Products Defense is what I use. Never had a problem so far.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 2:02:53 PM EDT
[#13]
C Products defense run best for me. I started with ASC mags so all of mine are over 5-10 years old now, but none of them ran as good as the CPDs.

Personally, I think it's that black Teflon coating they use. I know some don't like the 'slippery' feel of them, but I think that's part of the reason why they feed so well. Steel cased ammo just isn't as slick as brass case.

Also, the springs in the CPD 30s are as strong as the springs in my AK mags, I don't think my ASCs ever had strong springs. I couldn't get my old ones to run at all til I dropped in AK replacement springs.  Hopefully they're better now.

I've heard good things about the multimag, and no complaints in 7.62x39. But pricey. If I didn't already have plenty of mags in every caliber I shoot I'd try one. May still.

One mag I've been tempted to try is the D&H mag, supposed to be made of HEAVY steel and it has a pretty sharp curve like an AK mag. But I hear more bad than good about them, and the only place I can find them is Atlantic Firearms and they sell them 2 as a bundle.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks fellas for all your replies, keep them coming...Also, plan to give some .308 cal. pills  a whirl with the fresh
x39mm Winchester brass cases as well. Plan to keep the pill weights under 150 grains as that is where the x39mm
cartridge wheelhouse is zoned...

I do find it Interesting that there is a considerable difference in MAP levels between CIP standards and SAAMI
MAP standards for the same cartridge...

So, the x39 MAP using the CIP standard its 51,488 PSI and using the SAAMI MAP standard it is 45,010 PSI a
difference of 6,480 PSI !

The only reason(s) I can see for the difference(s) in pressure between the two agencies that I can gather is
chamber dimensions and freebore length, although this requires a little further Investigation...

Thanks again fellas.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 8:52:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Yep CPD
Gota be Gen 3
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:36:20 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm liking the Gen 2 UniMags so far.  Haven't shot a lot with em yet.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
Gen 2.   I’ll try another one. I had a gen 1, I sent that back.   It was so bad.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 11:15:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Gen 2.   I'll try another one. I had a gen 1, I sent that back.   It was so bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gen 2.   I'll try another one. I had a gen 1, I sent that back.   It was so bad.
Primary Arms has them on sale for $27.99
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a bunch of cpd 30s and they've all been 100%.
On the other hand... I bought ten asc 30s that jammed like crazy. The issue seemed to be that the finish is kinda gummy, like they didn't fully cure it or something and if you push down on the top round and release you can go "one- one thousand" as you watch the stack creep up. Needless to say at the range every other round was some sort of jamm. I seemed to get one mag to work by putting a few rounds in and repeatedly pushing them to the bottom with a yard stick. I think it wore through the gummy finish or something.
I bought some mags from JSE surplus advertised as Bushmaster 5rnd and when I got them the follower said asc on it. They caused nose dive jamms! I was able to see that the feedlips were messed up, they weren't even straight, like they'd been bent by hand or something, so I used pliers to bend them to make the rounds sit at a nose up orientation and now they work.

Twice I've bought asc. Twice they were shit. I'll spend my money on cpd from now on.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 3:29:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Maybe this is a seminal event for drug stores.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gen 2.   I’ll try another one. I had a gen 1, I sent that back.   It was so bad.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I'm liking the Gen 2 UniMags so far.  Haven't shot a lot with em yet.
Same.  My Gen 1 wouldn't fit in the magwell, Primary Arms gave me a refund.  I was very disappointed.  When the Gen 2s came out, I ordered one, have tested it w/ .223 and 7.62x39mm.  Longziz sent me 2 more gratis.  I need to try one w/ my brother's .458 SOCOM.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Same.  My Gen 1 wouldn't fit in the magwell, Primary Arms gave me a refund.  I was very disappointed.  When the Gen 2s came out, I ordered one, have tested it w/ .223 and 7.62x39mm.  Longziz sent me 2 more gratis.  I need to try one w/ my brother's .458 SOCOM.
View Quote
@backbencher

Read my mind.  I just bought (nit transferred) a 458 suppressor so that’s on my short list.   PA website doesn’t expressly say it’ll be compatible with 458.  That’s what’s holding me back.  When I need more of something from PA I’ll add one to the cart.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 7:57:07 AM EDT
[#24]
https://ross-zheng-engineering.myshopify.com/products/unimag

The Ross-Zheng site (manufacturer) says specifically they tested it w/ .458 SOCOM, and the mag holds 12 rounds.

For those who panic when you see it's unavailable:

http://www.primaryarms.com/rze-unimag-multi-caliber-magazine-rze-mag-001b  $28, which is $12 less than what I paid for my 1st one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Soo another AR 7.62x39 Granite State build is in the works, it will be a "budget" build by Son #1, it will be mostly a Deer/Hog Rifle...It shapes
up like this mostly:

> 20" YHM Chrome Moly Alloy with Full Melonite Finish with a Rifle Length Gas System (Great Accuracy begins with a Great Barrel)...
> YHM Extended Charging Handle to help with ease of use with a scoped rifle...
> BCA USA Manufactured BCG in x39mm Caliber (Not my first choice but was in stock)...
> USA Manufactured 17" Ultra Lite Keymod Handguard 7075-T6 Type III...
> USA Manufactured CMA Low Profile and Lite Weight Clamp-On Gas Block...
> Standard A2 hardware, standard AR-15 lower and upper (Picatinny Rails on Upper) receivers...
> POF 3.5 LBS. Crisp Single Stage Trigger Module...
> German Minox 4-14 X 44mm Variable Scope with Warne QD Steel Rings...
> Brass Cased Custom Ammo in 110gr., 123gr./125gr., 130gr., and 140gr. Loads...
> Winchester factory 124gr. FMJBT brass cased factory loads for Initial testing...
> Pro Digital Chrono for Velocity testing...
> A box of condoms fully ribbed for extra safety...

for you ?

Fully aware that the x39mm round was never designed to function well in a AR-15 platform...yet we soldier on America.

Thanks.
View Quote
If you want the best mags for the 7.62x39 AR platform, C-Products Gen 3 mags are it. These were specifically designed to work with Faxon's ARAK rifle in 7.62x39, therefore they have a little bit of more serious design and testing, according to the interweb.

I had nothing but problems with 10 brand new ASC mags, 30-rounders. Rounds nose diving into the mag upon feeding, rounds getting stuck in the mag half way and locking the follower. Had nothing to do with my rifle since rounds were getting stuck in the magazine all by themselves before even inserting the mag into the rifle, all 10 mags had the same problem. I was mainly using steel cased ammunition, and I think the inside of the ASC mags finish has too much friction that when combined with steel cased (tula/wolf) ammo, the rounds would get stuck the more you load the magazine. Maybe with brass they would work better, but I don't know.

After, I bought 10 C-Products, specifically the Gen 3's, 30-rounders, I have had nothing but 100% reliability and all my old problems gone.

Go with the C-Products Defense (CPD) Gen 3 magazines of any capacity.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:25:10 PM EDT
[#26]
So parts are starting to trickle in...

FF HG

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:36:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

C_Products Defense is what I use. Never had a problem so far.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 1:50:42 AM EDT
[#28]
I tried a couple of asc and a now have 6 cp defense.
One of the asc was crap. Tried to return it.  Got no where with that. Eventually replaced the spring but have'nt tried it yet.  {ak spring}
All of the cp defense worked just fine as is.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 4:04:32 PM EDT
[#29]
So handguards came in, as did the adjustable lw low problued steel gas block, the YHM Bbl. came in also, and
it is quite nice, measured the bore diameter and it came in came at .3100" according to my Swiss Fowler Digital
Caliper...The POF flat 3.5 lbs. single stage trigger module came in and it feels great, light and crisp with plenty
of hammer force for hard primers...Will be posting pics soon, and will let you fellas know what it looks like when
the upper is complete...

Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I tried a couple of asc and a now have 6 cp defense.
One of the asc was crap. Tried to return it.  Got no where with that. Eventually replaced the spring but have'nt tried it yet.  {ak spring}
All of the cp defense worked just fine as is.
View Quote
Before I had a 7.62x39 AR upper I had a 6.8 Rem SPC AR Upper.  I had problems with several 6.8 ASC mags in that rifle, and ASC basically told me to pound sand. I had no issues with later generation CPD mags in that rifle however.

When I purchased my 7.62x39 upper I went only with CPD mags, and I've been very happy.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So handguards came in, as did the adjustable lw low problued steel gas block, the YHM Bbl. came in also, and
it is quite nice, measured the bore diameter and it came in came at .3100" according to my Swiss Fowler Digital
Caliper...The POF flat 3.5 lbs. single stage trigger module came in and it feels great, light and crisp with plenty
of hammer force for hard primers...Will be posting pics soon, and will let you fellas know what it looks like when
the upper is complete...

Stay tuned.
View Quote
I'm interested to see how this build turns out.  Please do keep this thread updated.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:31:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I'm interested to see how this build turns out.  Please do keep this thread updated.
View Quote
No problem,

I'm going to post some pics of the parts that have arrived and once everything is assembled and done it
will be time for Son #1 to do some test firing for function and groups as well as velocity of the various
loads being tested...Once that happens video clips will follow.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:45:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Kissing cousins united, 6.5 Grendel & 7.62x39mm

Getting there with both builds by Son #1...6.5 Grendel to the left and 7.62x39 on the right.
Both are using VLD pills...
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#34]
CPD & E-Lander Mags on order for both rounds...Those CPD's are sure hard to find in stock .
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:56:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
CPD & E-Lander Mags on order for both rounds...Those CPD's are sure hard to find in stock .
View Quote
they get snatched up cause the work
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#36]

Bulgarian or East German
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 9:44:21 AM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
Very nice...
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 10:59:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Got some more parts in...

https://imgur.com/MajGfBH

Will be ready for assembly soon...
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#39]
AIM has the 30's in stock, just got the email.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:04:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
AIM has the 30's in stock, just got the email.
View Quote
Yep, thanks...He picked up some CPD's and E-Landers to take them for a spin.
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 3:48:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 9:29:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/19/2018 10:30:23 PM EDT
[#43]
From my personal experience. Asc = garbage.  C products defense = goot to go
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 11:01:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote
We had some ASC 5/10 rounders laying around somewhere and were not impressed with the overall quality
of the mags...

Son #1 purchased some CPD (hard to find in stock for sure) and E-Lander mags he was able to find in
stock...The CPD's and E-Landers seem to have a great rep so far...

The .223/5.56mm E-Landers we had experience with all seemed to be of very good quality overall.
Link Posted: 6/20/2018 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

We had some ASC 5/10 rounders laying around somewhere and were not impressed with the overall quality
of the mags...

Son #1 purchased some CPD (hard to find in stock for sure) and E-Lander mags he was able to find in
stock...The CPD's and E-Landers seem to have a great rep so far...

The .223/5.56mm E-Landers we had experience with all seemed to be of very good quality overall.
View Quote
From my experience, sign up for the back in stock emails.

From CPD's Facebook page they started shipping out 7.62 mags about a week ago so they should be in stock more soon.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 3:45:41 PM EDT
[#46]
She is finished...need to clean up all the dust and lint and all.

Later, we will be developing some custom loads using virgin brass cases
in both .308 Cal. and .310 Cal. pills.

Son #1 also ordered a nice little folding adjustable bi-pod to help make a
little more "tacti-cool"...

Next will be mounting and laser boring the German Minx scope and those
nice and  solid Warne ring bases...

To be continued...
Link Posted: 6/27/2018 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#47]
E-Lander & CPD Mags came in...Looking to do some load development now and looking at all the common
load data publications to confirm max loads within SAAMI specs.

Link Posted: 6/29/2018 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Granite State Build Complete by Son # 1...Pics to follow soon.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote
Exactly.  Why try to fiddle F with putting a square peg in a round hole?   I’m asking a question not being a smartass. Isn’t a combloc mag lower the best option a la cmmg mutant?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top