Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2022 1:23:59 AM EDT
Have a KAC SR15 with 30k ish rounds on it. Have kept up maintenance with the usual lube and parts rotation, cleaned the chamber every 2 outings and cleaned the barrel as necessary.

Had it apart and realized that the channel (?) inside the receiver where the bolt carrier lives has caked on carbon on the sides. And it's not just a little bit; I was able to lightly scrape some off with a small flathead and its layers of it. Good news is it seems to mostly be malleable and not like baked on; I'm guessing this is oil mixed with carbon thats just built up over time.

Zero issues/malfunctions but I obviously want it gone. I don't mind things getting dirty with use, but this is a bit excessive.

Have never had to clean this on a firearm before. What's the easiest way to do it? I'm almost thinking some sort of correct diameter shotgun brush or mop or something on a drill? Ideas?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:28:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Toothbrush dipped in solvent and then follow up with an old washcloth and/or T-shirt material.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:28:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Use Hoppes #9, Stiff bristle tooth brush, rags and start cleaning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:31:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Spray it with oil, let it sit overnight, then do this:

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Toothbrush dipped in solvent and then follow up with an old washcloth and/or T-shirt material.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 1:56:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quick and dirty used to be a shotgun bore mop attachment on a cleaning rod - about the right diameter to scrub-a-dub inside the AR receiver.

Slower manual method is a toothbrush and a rag and your finger(s).
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:04:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Walmart carb cleaner is cheap and works great.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Not sure why I didnt think of an old toothbrush. Will try that and see what happens.

Really surprised how much is in there.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#7]
You can try a 12G bore brush.  

But, as you may figured out by now, that stuff doesn't effect operation.  Just add lube.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:19:06 AM EDT
[#8]
My work guns get a detailed disassembly, thrown in the solvent tank, cleaned, parts inspected and then rebuilt.  Replacing any out of spec parts.  Do this every 2-3000 rds or 6 mos.  Course I'm an armorer.
Rebarreling a batch here.
Attachment Attached File

CD
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:55:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Solvent tank, boom, done.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:12:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Submerged soak in a kerosene or heating oil bath. Will loosen carbon buildup nicely. Scrub with a toothbrush.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:17:36 AM EDT
[#11]
ORLY?

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Solvent tank, boom, done.
View Quote
That's the best. You still have to scrub it though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 10:42:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can try a 12G bore brush.  

But, as you may figured out by now, that stuff doesn't effect operation.  Just add lube.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:16:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

You'd be amazed at what that carb cleaner will blow out of that receiver.

If you go that route, do it outside and wear monogoggles.  You really don't want the stuff in your eyes.

Oh, hold it muzzle up so you don't wash the crud out of the receiver and into the chamber/bore.

I clean a really dirty lower the same way, just hold it by the stock/buffer tube and let the crud flow out towards/around the magazine well.  Get some oil back on the parts that rust when it dries out.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Ensure any carb or brake cleaner used is non-chlorinated. If you have any exposed aluminum, it will not react well with the chlorine.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Don't forget to clean the carbon off/in the gas tube hole in the upper.  Its usually packed with carbon.  Use a pick or allen wrench to push/scrap the carbon away.  Comes off easily when wet.

CD
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#17]
1 inch diameter bottle brush, and some dry cleaning solvent.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#18]
The bore is 1", so a 1" brush wouldn't provide much scrubbing action.
Would go at least 1-1/8".
McMaster-Carr is where I buy all my bottle brushes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The bore is 1", so a 1" brush wouldn't provide much scrubbing action.
Would go at least 1-1/8".
McMaster-Carr is where I buy all my bottle brushes.
View Quote

A brush designed to clean a 1 in bottle (aka, test tube) is going to be larger than 1 inch.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Iosso makes a brush designed specifically to clean the upper. Comes in this kit.

https://iosso.com/clean/products/ar-15-brush-kit-4-brush-pack-2-brush-packs/
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:29:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice, I like that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:16:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I just want to see pics of it........30K plus rounds is fascinating to me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:28:44 PM EDT
[#24]
I use a baby bottle brush from the dollar store, or a 12 ga bore brush and a rag
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Can we please get a picture of the carnage

I doubt I’ll ever take a rifle to 10k let alone 3x that much
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:06:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Iosso makes a brush designed specifically to clean the upper. Comes in this kit.

https://iosso.com/clean/products/ar-15-brush-kit-4-brush-pack-2-brush-packs/
View Quote

This is the kit I use, works well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can we please get a picture of the carnage

I doubt I’ll ever take a rifle to 10k let alone 3x that much
View Quote

I’d like pictures too.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ensure any carb or brake cleaner used is non-chlorinated. If you have any exposed aluminum, it will not react well with the chlorine.
View Quote

Actually, it is the non-chlorinated cleaner that is more apt to react with aluminum.

Chlorinated cleaners are safe to use on guns, and in some cases safer period, ass they are non-flammible.  Non-chlorinated cleaners came about due to environmental concerns, and welding issues.

https://blogproautomotive.com/brake-cleaner-on-aluminum-is-it-ok/

It's chlorinated lubricants the military has restricted.

Link Posted: 11/22/2022 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Every so often I use it to clean the "deep" crud out of the upper and the lower receivers.  I do hold the upper by the barrel, receiver down and spray till the crud stops flowing.  For the lower I hold it by the stock with the receiver down and again, spray till the crud stops flowing.

Let them dry (just takes a few minutes) and spray some light lube in to get oil back on the metal parts that will rust.  Then I use the Mobil 1 for lubing the parts that need lube.

Brake cleaner works, too.

Be careful, don't get it in your eyes and spray it outside.  Carb. cleaner in your eyes is something you don't want to do.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#31]
Strip them down once a year, depending on round count.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 7:55:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Ear cleaners help.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Compressed air when you're done scrubbing.

RCA
Link Posted: 1/7/2023 1:03:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Actually, it is the non-chlorinated cleaner that is more apt to react with aluminum.

Chlorinated cleaners are safe to use on guns, and in some cases safer period, ass they are non-flammible.  Non-chlorinated cleaners came about due to environmental concerns, and welding issues.

https://blogproautomotive.com/brake-cleaner-on-aluminum-is-it-ok/

It's chlorinated lubricants the military has restricted.

View Quote

This right here.   Got the non chlorinated on some dirt bike parts and got weird discoloration..
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top