Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2021 10:24:48 AM EDT
I am going to list some PMags for sale..  but I am confused as to why some of the colors list so high? can someone explain to me why some are so costly and others are just regular price... I am trying to understand value so I do not screw myself OR rip off a potential buyer..

thanks
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Some of the factory colors are expensive because they are limited runs.

Eta: which colors specifically are you talking about?
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some of the factory colors are expensive because they are limited runs.
View Quote

OK so these are just 30 round OD and FDE are they just regular price?

I appreciate the feedback..
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The colored mags, especailly the ones you have listed do bring a premium, but not as much of a premium as the straight 20 round colored mags....people list these for stupid prices.

For the 30 rounders, me personally I would not pay more than $20 for them, but that is me.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I would use the EE to give yourself an idea of what they're going for.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:20:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Tag for comments
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

OK so these are just 30 round OD and FDE are they just regular price?

I appreciate the feedback..
View Quote

The Gen2 OD and FDE were discontinued some time back.  Somehow, there are still vendors with certain models in stock at the normal price.  For example, Del-Ton still has Gen2 OD and Gen2 FDE windowed in stock at the usual MAP.

Those are only going to last so long, of course, and not everyone knows about them.  So, some people are willing to pay more for these due to the scarcity.

Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would use the EE to give yourself an idea of what they're going for.
View Quote

This ^^^^^
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The Gen2 OD and FDE were discontinued some time back.  Somehow, there are still vendors with certain models in stock at the normal price.  For example, Del-Ton still has Gen2 OD and Gen2 FDE windowed in stock at the usual MAP.

Those are only going to last so long, of course, and not everyone knows about them.  So, some people are willing to pay more for these due to the scarcity.

View Quote

The OD mags show in stock, but try adding one to your cart. It won't allow it and says they're not available.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

But why?

FDE Gen 1 30's worth anything?   Got a few I'd sell to "collectors" to fund other stuff.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve got a whole bunch of OD, FDE and a think another version of green in the old straight 20’s.  I’ve heard they are valuable?  I’m keeping them.  Like them just as much as my late 60’s USGI’s.
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I have some I bought from Cheaper than dirt (in Fort Worth) during the 2009ish unplesantness.

They are orange and have matching covers. They show a 2009 date. I stashed them back, some of which I marked with a sharpie (before the dots molded in).

A. They were NOT cheaper than dirt. I think they were priced $39.99. I paid the scalper price because I knew when they were gone there would be no more.

B.  I intended them to be dedicated range magazines.  I got sepsis that I barely survived that was a rough recovery (but not as rough as the second time in 2013... learning how to walk without falling was no fun.)

C.  I have no clue where I stashed them. I think I have an idea but I do not want to move a few hundred pounds of crap to find them to only forget where again. (re: 2013 and a 106 degree temp for hours memory trashed)

D. No they are not for sale (unless I am offered an obscene amount of money per magazine)

ETA... I found two of them!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Sweet.  I bet I could put my kids through college with a couple of Pmags that never saw production
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have some I bought from Cheaper than dirt (in Fort Worth) during the 2009ish unplesantness.

They are orange and have matching covers. They show a 2009 date. I stashed them back, some of which I marked with a sharpie (before the dots molded in).

A. They were NOT cheaper than dirt. I think they were priced $39.99. I paid the scalper price because I knew when they were gone there would be no more.

B.  I intended them to be dedicated range magazines.  I got sepsis that I barely survived that was a rough recovery (but not as rough as the second time in 2013... learning how to walk without falling was no fun.)

C.  I have no clue where I stashed them. I think I have an idea but I do not want to move a few hundred pounds of crap to find them to only forget where again. (re: 2013 and a 106 degree temp for hours memory trashed)

D. No they are not for sale (unless I am offered an obscene amount of money per magazine)

ETA... I found two of them!
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70257/Orange_Pmags_jpg-1817124.JPG
View Quote

Very cool. I had no idea Magpul made orange or odd color pmags back in the day. I have about 30 ODG window and non window gen 2 pmags i snagged from JSE Surplus in late 2018, the rest are black or fde and gen 3. My only other cool mag acquisition was trading surefeed 20 round usgi mags 1:1 for black pmag straight 20 rounders from a cool guy in GD last week, 3 of the 5 still new in bag from the late 00's. Those are for the collection and not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Are there any rare windowed gen 3 windowed mags out there?  Or are they all gen 1 and gen 2?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:28:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a non window 20rd in a really light sand color, nearly white. Are those rare?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:38:15 AM EDT
[#16]
There was a guy dyeing Sand mags the same shade of orange trying to pass them off as authentic in the EE several years ago. He was caught editing his listing after selling some and was banned. Heard he was back on the site somehow, that scumbag.

I don't understand why these novelty mags command a premium. They're cool though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:29:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 8:33:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Wasn't there some issue about some of the colors were not as strong as the regular ones and were more prone to breakage?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I have one of the original PMags.  I post it up later.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:50:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am going to list some PMags for sale..  but I am confused as to why some of the colors list so high? can someone explain to me why some are so costly and others are just regular price... I am trying to understand value so I do not screw myself OR rip off a potential buyer..

thanks
View Quote

Supply / demand
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The OD mags show in stock, but try adding one to your cart. It won't allow it and says they're not available.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I didn't try adding, I bought as many as I could justify a while back.  

Quoted:
But why?

Why does anybody overpay for what they want?  Oh, wait, because they want it....

Quoted:
Wasn't there some issue about some of the colors were not as strong as the regular ones and were more prone to breakage?

That was what Magpul said when they discontinued all the Gen2 colors (Foliage, OD, FDE).  The Gen3 colors are different, they say...
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Dyed FDE Magpuls?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I have a few dozen ODG and foliage green gen 2 Pmags in my stash. I forget where I ordered the foliage green ones from, but Brownells or somebody put them on clearance when Magpul discontinued them. IIRC, foliage was the first regularly produced color that was then discontinued.

You see blue Pmags from time to time, originally made for firing simunitions. Probably not too many of them in the wild.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Magpul claimed that, but out of hundreds of FDE, I only ever saw Gen 1 break.

Magpul doesn't like colors. The only reason we have MCT is because the military told them they wouldn't get a contract with black. If it wasn't about Magpul just not wanting to do colors, we'd have MCT for other magazines too, but we don't. It's obviously a Magpul decision and not a strength decision.

You can get an FDE make up bag or weed container though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Magpul response here regarding colors/strength:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:36:43 PM EDT
[#28]
View Quote

It seems Magpul is just playing with colors in the kitchen sink.

Think of the plastic in a magazine as cement.

Think of carbon black as an aggregate / stones.

Cement and aggregate gives you concrete. Concrete is stronger than cement.

Black color comes from carbon black, a particle.

Pigments are particles, example titanium dioxide.

Other early Magpul colors beside black were, apparently, just dyes with no pigments.

New colors most likely have pigments added in addition to dyes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:49:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Orange, Blue, and UDE might be the rarest of colored PMAG's.
Translucent PMAG's are the hens teeth!

FDE, ODG, and Foliage are no longer made, and were probably made in the millions of each. Not really rare, but now people want to make rifles in those 3 colors. When Magpul found them not to be as popular, especially Foliage. So with demand comes supply.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Indeed!

Here's my rainbow of colors!

Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I won't pay a premium to get an unusual color.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Orange, Blue, and UDE might be the rarest of colored PMAG's.
Translucent PMAG's are the hens teeth!

FDE, ODG, and Foliage are no longer made, and were probably made in the millions of each. Not really rare, but now people want to make rifles in those 3 colors. When Magpul found them not to be as popular, especially Foliage. So with demand comes supply.
View Quote

hmmmmm my larues came with ude mags
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 8:34:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dyed FDE Magpuls?
View Quote

Nope, they are factory. Actually back from the early days when they decided to play with other colors. This led to them trying it with the PMAG's.
The swirled magpuls I have started with dumping another color in without clearing the hopper, then it led to trying to make camo magpuls.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 7:39:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Well, I found a 30 round Gen 2 blue mag the other day that I didn’t remember I had. It is marked UTM which is another man marking round.

I have had several FDE Gen 2 pmags and a couple black Gen 2 30 round mags that developed a crack between the feed lips running down the back of the mag. Wasn’t to happy to have my FDE mags replaced with black mags.

As far as why some people are willing to pay more for some colors, is because they want it bad enough. Maybe some day some of the colors will be worth lots of money.

I do like my straight body 20 round mags too. I can see why they are very coveted.
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 10:51:26 AM EDT
[#36]
View Quote
Didn't someone say "Sand" ?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/10/2021 3:37:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Finally getting around to posting this...

One of the prototype PMAG's from 2006.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/515553/20210410_153346_jpg-1899868.JPG
View Quote

Yes sir! The original Maglevel Mag!
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 10:41:09 PM EDT
[#39]
I seem to recall buying 6 or so of the Blue PMags around 2009. I'll have to look for them.
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 12:02:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I seem to recall buying 6 or so of the Blue PMags around 2009. I'll have to look for them.
View Quote

There was 2 different Blue PMAG's.
08/09 little darker blue, kind of purple hue.
11/09 UTM Blue
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:28:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Neat!

I have one of those somewhere.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:28:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Nice orange mag
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 8:31:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nice orange mag
View Quote

Thanks! I have found 6 different production dates so far
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

A buddy of mine had a bunch of those. I want to say he even had some camo ones. Sold them in a pinch without telling me years later.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I won't pay a premium to get an unusual color.
View Quote

OK. Others will.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#47]
Only thing gayer than collecting pmags is paying a premium for them.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top