Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2018 1:33:22 PM EDT
I have a batch of early Glock trigger assemblies with the black finish. These early trigger's are sought after largely because of their black finish which Glock discontinued relatively soon after Glock's were introduced in the U.S. (1991-ish.) Mine have a fine layer of surface rust. I would like to remove this rust without harming the finish, or by harming it in the least obtrusive way possible. Is there a solution I can soak the triggers in that will penetrate and remove the fine orange layer of surface rust? I have heard white vinegar works.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:40:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd try Kroil and a nylon brush.  Heck, WD40 and a nylon brush might even do it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
There is that stuff you can buy at the autoparts stores.....don't remember the name, but it's almost like a wool/cotton type material in a little silver can. It's soaked in some type of solvent that does a great job with removing rust. It's not abrasive.

Just remembered the name..NEVER DULL.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 1:57:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a batch of early Glock trigger assemblies with the black finish. These early trigger's are sought after largely because of their black finish which Glock discontinued relatively soon after Glock's were introduced in the U.S. (1991-ish.) Mine have a fine layer of surface rust. I would like to remove this rust without harming the finish, or by harming it in the least obtrusive way possible. Is there a solution I can soak the triggers in that will penetrate and remove the fine orange layer of surface rust? I have heard white vinegar works.
View Quote
The early Glocks were recalled and those parts replaced because of rust.  I can't see how anyone would "seek after" those parts. 

Bronze wool and a copper penny can be used to remove surface rust.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:02:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Evaporust from Harbour Freight is awesome. But test one for the finish.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The early Glocks were recalled and those parts replaced because of rust.  I can't see how anyone would "seek after" those parts. 
View Quote
Collectors like early Glocks in original condition/configuration
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have rust the finish is damaged.

you can try Oxalic acid or oil and a bronze brush.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Collectors like early Glocks in original condition/configuration
View Quote

Rust should then be worth more.  Much authentic.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]
My Dad said he got good results with a pink pearl eraser. No damage to the underlying blueing at all.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 10:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Wet the rusty area with your favorite gun oil or CLP type product and then rub it with 000 or 0000 steel wool. It will remove the rust without harming the finish.
Link Posted: 10/16/2018 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Careful what you use.

It may remove the black finish too
Link Posted: 10/17/2018 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I've always used 0000 steel wool and light oil to lightly rub the rusty areas when someone brought a rusty gun to me.  Works even on parkerized finishes (that poor neglected M1A, he wasn't taking care of it and he still wouldn't sell it to me).

I've never used Never Dull on a gun.  I've used it on glass (rusty stains around the holes in an Explorer hatchback) and it removed the rust and looked great.  I've also used it to remove light rust on chrome wheels and center caps.  Even used it to really clean/shine up painted aluminum wheels.

Used it to remove/clean up stains in stainless steel sinks, too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2018 2:14:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input. I was able to find Kroil locally and will try soaking the parts in that overnight and lightly scrubbing with 0000 steel wool.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top