Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/4/2019 5:24:23 PM EDT
Just put a midlength rifle together and want to keep it simple as I can without buying more stuff to attach my sling in the front for an adjustable two point sling.

I have looked at par cord but think if the rifle gets hot it may well drop off so I am looking for ideas to attach it to the front.

I am thinking of a piece of small cable in a loop but does anyone have any other ideas? Just a simple fix that will last.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:36:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive used one like this before never had a problem

https://www.blueforcegear.com/universal-wire-loop-uwl-3-25.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What kind of rail?

I bet paracord would be safe to loop around your rail and attach a sling to.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I roll with the Proctor Sling. They are as simple as it gets...strong and ultra-lightweight.  I have them on all my ARs. Never had a problem because of heat.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
ETA didn't read. The person who recommended the BFG cord is the answer I would go with.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#5]
IDF uses the paracord attached to the front sight base method, if it's good enough for them it's good enough for civilian use.

My recent range trip was four consecutive 30rnd magazines at approximately one round every 1 to 2 seconds. It was hot but not hot enough to even begin to melt the cord. Give it a try, if you melt the cord take some pics and let us know how many mag dumps it took .

Link Posted: 5/4/2019 6:12:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I am thanking you all, thank you for the ideas, here is what I came up with minutes ago in the shop.

Some old steel plastic coated bow cables and a drilled out Easton insert and then mashed shut and soldered the ends where the stickers were left over. If it gets hot, it may melt the coating but I never do mag dumps on my rifles unless I am in a fight or 10 or so to check for reliability. I would post a picture if I could figure out how?

Guys, how to do I post a pic from my computer?
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 6:56:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I do it threw imugr , once your pics are on your imgur page copy them then come here hit reply then hit the tab that looks like mountains and a moon itll prompt you to copy your link
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank ya..  Gonna get on the mill tomorrow and make a sling loop and attach to that, will do a picture but this works pretty well. Gonna degrease and paint the rifle soon also.

Link Posted: 5/4/2019 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Could just get a M-4 side loop.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:00:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could just get a M-4 side loop.
View Quote
I'm all about the M4 side loop for rifles that have a sling attached all the time. Sling positioning is worlds better than the bottom loop and no worries about it coming detached like with a QD. I do have QD's on a rifle that I pull the sling off of for bench stuff sometimes and HK hooks on a homemade one that can be converted between single and dual point. I really like the HK hooks for simplicity and how robust they are but they do make noise unless you put shrink tubing on them.  Paracord and the wire loops work just fine too. Many ways to skin this cat.

My favorite setup is the M4 side loop with a BFG sling.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Will google M4 side loop.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you, Tig!
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:23:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:53:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Will go check that, thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

FWIW, RRA makes a damn good version.
View Quote
Not bad for 27 bucks either." />
Link Posted: 5/4/2019 11:01:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
I fricken love those things they make it so easy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2019 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
These are the best and probably only current commercial option. It feels like the 90s again.

I also recommend the M16 Top Sling Adapter kits they sell. Getting that with a really nice vtac sling you'll do well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 10:36:18 PM EDT
[#21]
The 550 cord wrapped around the front sight is probably a good idea. Like mentioned earlier, if Israel uses it in front line conditions where they are, it is obviously fine for the rest of us. They are quiet and inexpensive, just not easy to remove like a QD or detachable swivel when you want to clean or store your rifle.

Since you made the coat hanger front sight sling loop, you reminded me of something I saw year ago in an arms room. It was a triangular ring of thin steel wire. It formed a triangular split ring, and the short leg of the triangle was wide enough for a standard rifle sling. It was hooked into the front sight tower, and the sling attached to it. It was about 1.25" wide and 2" tall. It was not as quiet as a 550 sling, but at least had a metal wire loop around the sight tower so even high heat was no problem. I never saw another one, but you could probably bend one up easily enough in 5 minutes. It looked like a decent sling attachment to me at the time.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top