Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2020 2:47:02 PM EDT
Looking for one, something that's not 200-300 bucks. Building an AR pistol in .22 and would like to be able to add a side folding brace. Can't seem to find anything affordable.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Hera SFU can be had for $110.  SB Tactical Folder is a little better IMO because it latches on place when folded to the side but it's ~$130.  I have both.  With a very light stock/tube combo, the Hera will stay latched when but when folded with heavier combos, no (strong arm brace and KAK dimpled buffer tube).  It's like a roller or detent that holds it folded.

Both are about the same Igood when straight and in use.

ETA: Neither function with regular piston or DI ARs so if you want that option swapping your upper it will cost more with options mentioned below.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 3:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
This one works great:  https://www.classicfirearms.com/sylvan-arms-folding-stock-adapter-gen-3-arh300/. $150
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quality comes at a price.

Get the Law Tactical folder
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

And if you want/need the ability to fire when folded, go apes&*^ with Dead Foot Arms Side Folder/MCS combo.
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 4:57:34 PM EDT
[#5]
OP asked for affordable and for a 22LR, precluding the need for side fold adapters that still function extended.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#6]
i have the hera on my AR22 and have been pleased, but think any of these four (all under $200) would work for your project

HERA SFU
BTFA BUFFER TUBE FOLDING ADAPTER
MDT FOLDING STOCK ADAPTER
XLR PUSH BUTTON FOLDING ADAPTER
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Someone needs to introduce a 22LR dedicated hinge.  If you don't need a buffer there is no reason to pay for that engineering in a 22LR gun.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
the four i named above fit your description
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys..... I was almost buying the $40 LAW knock-off. Or the $20 Ebay crap one.

After closely comparing them I'll be going with the SD hinge. It's sleek, it's light and that goes with my build of a light weight suppressed .22LR that's as compact as possible. The downside, they are all out of stock.....
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:18:31 AM EDT
[#10]
if you don't need a buffer and spring... I used one of these with a PMACA chassis for a Ruger Charger... UTG adapter for an AK 47

https://sapoutfitters.com/product/utg-ak47-side-folding-stock-adaptor/
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 11:31:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
the four i named above fit your description
View Quote

Guess I should have prefaced that with "afforbable"......
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a handful of cheap LAW knockoffs.  Work great for 22lr build where they aren't really carrying any stress besides the weight of the stock.  Probably costed $70-80 new.  Which means they were really $15 and I overpaid.  . But still a lot cheaper than a real LAW folder and work fine for a 22lr plinker.

Was gonna list some for sale on the EE, but the rules say no chinese knockoff parts.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#13]
"affordable" is always an issue

early on i fell for a couple of cheapie chinese non-functioning folding adapters off ebay (including a UTG). total waste of money. soft aluminum, wouldn't lock, poor fit, out of alignment, etc... worse yet is when designed for another firearm that they interfere with pulling back of the charging handle.

i've learned its better to cry once....
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 6:15:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Knock off Chinese folders are junk, not worth the money or time installing
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:04:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Knock off Chinese folders are junk, not worth the money or time installing
View Quote

Which one's do you have personal experience with?

You do realize this is a thread about 22lr, don't you?  Not everything needs to be made of tool steel.  You can hold the 22lr bolt assembly in with a piece of chewed gum.  Chinesium hinge is fine.  
The pot metal hinges at home depot hold up the weight of a door and get cycled 50x a day for 30 years.  You think somehow a stock on a range toy 22lr is gonna over stress it?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 6:45:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which one's do you have personal experience with?

You do realize this is a thread about 22lr, don't you?  Not everything needs to be made of tool steel.  You can hold the 22lr bolt assembly in with a piece of chewed gum.  Chinesium hinge is fine.  
The pot metal hinges at home depot hold up the weight of a door and get cycled 50x a day for 30 years.  You think somehow a stock on a range toy 22lr is gonna over stress it?
View Quote

I’ve tried the Wish side folder, poor machining, dimensionally incorrect and a loose hinge.
I’ve seen a few other brands in shops and the just weren’t impressive.

I realize the OP is asking about one for a 22lr, I’m fully aware of how the bolt assembly is retained
My point is why buy cheap Chinese crap that doesn’t fit properly and barely works as advertised?
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:20:51 AM EDT
[#17]
i concur with Leonitus. just opening and closing them wears them out in short order, regardless of caliber. not worth the hassle, just to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#18]
https://agparms.com/agp-arms-ar-15-folding-stock/
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 11:43:46 AM EDT
[#19]
For a dedicated 22lr?

UTG on Ebay
Link Posted: 7/12/2020 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I’ve tried the Wish side folder, poor machining, dimensionally incorrect and a loose hinge.
I’ve seen a few other brands in shops and the just weren’t impressive.

I realize the OP is asking about one for a 22lr, I’m fully aware of how the bolt assembly is retained
My point is why buy cheap Chinese crap that doesn’t fit properly and barely works as advertised?
View Quote

Meanwhile I've had my cheap chinese junk for 3+ years.  It fit fine and hasn't shat a hole through the bed yet.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For a dedicated 22lr?

UTG on Ebay
View Quote

If that is the same design as a few years back. On an AR it will interfer with the charging handle.
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Meanwhile I've had my cheap chinese junk for 3+ years.  It fit fine and hasn't shat a hole through the bed yet.
View Quote

My Chinese junk ones don't get used a lot.  But for $30 I'm glad I bought them yeàrs ago
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 9:52:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, glad that works for you.

I’ve learned over the years, cheap shit just fails in due time. Then I waste time, money and energy replacing a cheap part.

I know my ideology isn’t for everyone, just sharing my thoughts and experience......take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If that is the same design as a few years back. On an AR it will interfer with the charging handle.
View Quote

it interfered with mine
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Customer service is the best in the business
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top