Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2021 9:18:16 PM EDT
need help choosing a Short Barrel in 5.56 for my first under 10.3 project, so I'm looking for a barrel in the 7"- 8" range if possible Chrome lined and with gas system.

originally I was going to build with a Colt 10.3 however when I got the rail (7")  its to short and does not go over the fsp.

yes it will be 5.56

here is what I have so far:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 9:55:07 PM EDT
[#2]
they are out of barrels....
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:07:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Ummm.
7.5” sucks for the velocity loss, flash and LOUDness in .223. 10.5” is better all the way around. I have owned both.

If you are going to be short, might want to look at a pigtail gas tube. I desperately needed an extraction fix with my 7.5” barrel experiment. Expect that nature of trouble.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:12:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
well I'd typically say go 5.56 if a range toy, 300blk if you want it to be serviceable.......but in current times alot of us don't really plink like we used to......so maybe do a 22lr build? or 5.56 build with a 22 conversion for now then you can run it with 5.56 when ammo stabilizes .

9mm with Endomags?
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
need help choosing a Short Barrel for my first under 10.3 project, so I'm looking for a barrel in the 7"- 8" range if possible Chrome lined and with gas system.

originally I was going to build with a Colt 10.3 however when I got the rail (7")  its to short and does not go over the fsp.
View Quote

https://ar15discounts.com/products/ballistic-advantage-7-5-5-56-pistol-length-nitride-modern-series-barrel/
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:50:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ummm.
7.5” sucks for the velocity loss, flash and LOUDness in .223. 10.5” is better all the way around. I have owned both.

If you are going to be short, might want to look at a pigtail gas tube. I desperately needed an extraction fix with my 7.5” barrel experiment. Expect that nature of trouble.
View Quote

yes I was going with the Colt 10.3 however the rail is not long enough so its a 7" , 7.5" or an 8"
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

https://ar15discounts.com/products/ballistic-advantage-7-5-5-56-pistol-length-nitride-modern-series-barrel/
View Quote

thanks, thats an option, I also found:

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/bca-ar-15-barrel-7-5-4150-parkerized-m4-contour-barrel-5-56-nato-pistol-length-gas-system-w-1-7-twist
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Just, don't!  Friends don't even let friends buy barrels from BCA

Unless you are going to suppress, I suggest at least a 10" barrel.  A super shortie 5.56 is just annoying.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 12:14:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
well I'd typically say go 5.56 if a range toy, 300blk if you want it to be serviceable.......but in current times alot of us don't really plink like we used to......so maybe do a 22lr build? or 5.56 build with a 22 conversion for now then you can run it with 5.56 when ammo stabilizes .

9mm with Endomags?
View Quote

I second that notion
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Just, don't!  Friends don't even let friends buy barrels from BCA

Unless you are going to suppress, I suggest at least a 10" barrel.  A super shortie 5.56 is just annoying.

View Quote

I don;t know how you guys can enjoy these short bbls, even with a suppressor! My friend has a 10.5 pistol in 556 and when I shot it at the range, between two walls of railroad timber, it was freaking LOUD! It was not any fun. AT. ALL. And this was with regular 223 ammo, I can't imagine how bad it would be with IMI 77g.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I just ordered a 7.5" barrel a few hours ago.  But it was the proper caliber if you are going to go that short.   Found a 7.5" Faxon Gunner in .300blk with a pinned gas block.

Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an 8.5" .277 wolverine I hope to put together this weekend. Guess that cartridge is still a thing. With 90gr gold dot's on sale for $77 per 500 I figured it was time to put it together......only been under my bed oh I don't know 3-4 years

A 22 tcm with PPSH mags could be a fun option as well. Still working out some kinks with my 3d printed adapter. Mine is going to be in a wildcat similar to the one in my sig. That's been a work in progress for  even longer!

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#14]
no one shot by a 7.5 barrel has ever said its weak, only on arfcom do they say that.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 9:32:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it was already said, just get a cheapo 7.5 " 5.56 barrel until you can get what you really want(if that ever happens) and at least you'll have another running AR.  There should be plenty of 7.5 barrels out there in 5.56.  It's not an optimal barrel length but ARF really makes it sound like it turns the 556 into an air soft bb.  I never had an issue with my 7.5" behind a flash can.  It was loud as shit at the indoor shooting range, just like every other length AR.  I did eventually switch to a 10.5" though, for reasons.

Won't an FSB'd 10.5" fit with that rail?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don;t know how you guys can enjoy these short bbls, even with a suppressor! My friend has a 10.5 pistol in 556 and when I shot it at the range, between two walls of railroad timber, it was freaking LOUD! It was not any fun. AT. ALL. And this was with regular 223 ammo, I can't imagine how bad it would be with IMI 77g.
View Quote

Oh I'm with ya there.  If I go short I also go fat.  9mm or 300.  The bark is a little more pleasant.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

yes I was going with the Colt 10.3 however the rail is not long enough so its a 7" , 7.5" or an 8"
View Quote

It's okay if a little of the barrel sticks out past the handguard.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Ummm.
View Quote

If you say you're looking at Corvettes there's always that one guy who will come along and tell you they're impractical and you should buy a minivan instead, because he drives a minivan and loves it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

If you say you're looking at Corvettes there's always that one guy who will come along and tell you they're impractical and you should buy a minivan instead, because he drives a minivan and loves it.
View Quote

But that isn't really the case here.  
It would be more like you are looking at Corvettes to tow your boat with, and people come along and say that if you want a tow vehicle, there are better options.

It isn't that you can't tow a boat with a Vette, it is just that they were specifically made for speed, not towing, so it is not the best use of the vehicle you are looking at purchasing.  

In the end, it is OP's money (and ears)....so whatever makes him happy.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I know this, I wouldn’t want to get shot with a bullet coming out of a short barrel AR, whether it is from a 10.5” or a 7.5”.

Serious question. What will do more damage, a 9mm round or a .223 hollow point round fired out of a 7.5” AR pistol?

There’s always going to be “better” than something else. A 16” barrel AR isn’t exactly quiet either and the 7.5” is much more maneuverable inside and will be just as accurate out to at least 100yds.

16” barrel will obviously be more accurate and effective beyond 175-200 yards, but I don’t anticipate ever having to shoot someone from that distance.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:27:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks guys for all the help. Got her done today.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:31:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21371/IMG_6144_JPG-1829491.JPG
View Quote

Nice!! Enjoy!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 12:03:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21371/IMG_6144_JPG-1829491.JPG
View Quote

Everyone wants to know what kind of barrel/chambering you got, OP.

Looks good.  7.5's are fun = )
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:30:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Everyone wants to know what kind of barrel/chambering you got, OP.

Looks good.  7.5's are fun = )
View Quote

Sorry guys, I got the parts from Ar Stoner at Midway, everywhere else was sold out.. I believe it was $180 next day shipped

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:31:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:19:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Has to be chrome? They also have 300.
https://androcorpind.com/barrel-556-8-inch/
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#27]
My supplies arrived over the last two days.

KAK Micro flash can

Midwest Industries 8" Combat rail. https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/forend-amp-handguard-parts/handguards-amp-rails/ar-15-combat-handguards-free-float-m-lok-prod120014.aspx?avs%7cManufacturer_1=MIDWEST%2bINDUSTRIESzxczxc%2bINCxzzx

Faxon 7.5" w/PINNED gas block, .300blk barrel  (looks like they are OOS now) https://aimsurplus.com/faxon-firearms-300-blackout-nitride-7-5-in-ar-barrel-w-pinned-gas-block/

Will post pics of the mock-up later tonight.  Love short barrels, but I'm curios to see how 7.5" .300blk go with a micro flash can instead of an A2.  

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#28]
I got one of the Combat Armory 7.5” complete pistol kits about a year ago.  Great price and already had a cheap receiver.  Primarily bought as a range toy.

Initially, I had cycling issues and decided to go with the Superlative Arms piston/adjustable gas block kit and put a Law folder on it.

It solved the cycling problems.

I get chapped when I hear shit like “the loss of velocity” and “it’s loud”.

Wah!

You’re not shooting longer ranges and who cares if the guy you shoot just outside the car or in the bedroom gets a couple of hundred FPS less.

Who fucking cares!  I can put mine in a backpack and carry it almost everywhere.  If the zombies are several hundred yards out, I’ll get the Para FAL out of the lock box under the back seat.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:29:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sorry guys, I got the parts from Ar Stoner at Midway, everywhere else was sold out.. I believe it was $180 next day shipped

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21371/IMG_6169_JPG-1831540.JPG
View Quote

uhhh... is that an unlined barrel? Interesting choice.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:12:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I got one of the Combat Armory 7.5” complete pistol kits about a year ago.  Great price and already had a cheap receiver.  Primarily bought as a range toy.

Initially, I had cycling issues and decided to go with the Superlative Arms piston/adjustable gas block kit and put a Law folder on it.

Wah!

You’re not shooting longer ranges and who cares if the guy you shoot just outside the car or in the bedroom gets a couple of hundred FPS less.

Who fucking cares!  I can put mine in a backpack and carry it almost everywhere.  If the zombies are several hundred yards out, I’ll get the Para FAL out of the lock box under the back seat.

View Quote

That's how I think.... however this pistol is a bit too long for my backpack, I have a M92 that fits it perfect

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:15:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

uhhh... is that an unlined barrel? Interesting choice.
View Quote

No choice, that was. the only barrel I was able to find, will try this pistol next week, and if I like it, ill build another one with the folding stock....
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wah!

View Quote

Why would you get chapped?  
Nothing said is untrue, and as you stated, it was initially purchased as a range toy, and that you had cycling issues, which can happen with certain ammo.
It is your (or the OP's) money, so get what you want, but 5.56 is sub-optimal in a 7.5" barrels.  You can make it work, but the caliber is better suited for much longer barrels.
-------------------------------------
With that said, OP, that looks sharp.  I'm a big fan of short barrels, I just prefer .300blk as it works better in that range.

A bunch of stuff I ordered all showed up this week (new stuff is on top), so I'm going to start doing some swapping around of parts.  I wasted a bunch of money on my current backpack set-up (8.3" with a LAW folder) and was never happy with it (I don't keep the light on it while in the backpack).  Will probably get rid of it all or turn it into full time .22LR.

7.5" Faxon Gunner with 8" MI Combat rail and KAK mirco flash can (I'm already liking this....much lighter than current set-up.).
8.3" BA Hanson with 9.2" Aero Atlas S-one rail and KAK mirco flash can  (This combination sucks.  Rail is too long. Barrel is too heavy and to thick to use QD slot on rail).
8.5" PSA with 9" PSA rail and KAK mirco flash can (First .300blk.  Works great, and it was cheap, but heavy, and can't use QD slot on rail)
8.3" BA Hanson with 9.2" Aero Atlas S-one rail and KAK mirco flash can  (This combination sucks.  Rail is too long. Barrel is too heavy and to thick to use QD slot on rail).
9" BA Performance series with 9.5" MI Combat rail and KAK mirco flash can.  (Love this set-up for HD).

ETA: Fixed order
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:17:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
s.

Wah!

View Quote

That's the way I feel also.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:26:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Today I went out to the range for the first time, she shot like a champ, no cycling problems at all.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 5:12:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Yesterday I used this 7.5” upper with the Rare Breed trigger, it was awesome, even the range master wanted some of that action..
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top