Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2018 11:36:47 PM EDT
I have had an A2 grip for a long time that is shiny and much smoother than my other A2 grips.   I love it, it has always felt great in the hand, and while the shape is the same as other grips, the material feels different.  The inner are of the grip hollow is much smoother.

Could some one please help me identify it, so I could find another?   It is starting to show wear from our time together.

I pulled a bunch of old handguards out of the box of parts, and noticed one set of M4's is a lot shinier than the other, and some of the older six holes are shiny where they wear, but this A2 grip was nice and smooth all over when new.

Thank you. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:25:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Look up inside the grip by the screw hole.
Can you see any numbers or letters ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:48:28 AM EDT
[#2]
There is a 2
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 1:02:17 AM EDT
[#3]
So now hit all the gun shops and gun shows and start looking inside all the grips for that same mark.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:37:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the Zytel hand grips that came on the early A2 rifles, they would wear to a smooth feel and appearance, I don't see the new stuff wearing the same, I believe the new stuff is a polymer.

I have a couple of the original A2 grips and they are worn smooth and shiny
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#5]
the number in a circle is typically colt.  i haven't found that on any other manufacturers.  they do feel a little more quality than other grips.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#6]
That would make sense, with the Zytel/ colt.  I have had good luck finding handguards but never another grip like this.   Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I ordered a surplus A2 stock set from Apex a few years ago and it came with that style grip. I called Apex and asked them to look through the grips. They were nice enough to find two more and I used them on my early A2 stuff. And yes, there are shiny A2 grips, M4 and A2 handguards. Its all I use.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:49:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ordered a surplus A2 stock set from Apex a few years ago and it came with that style grip. I called Apex and asked them to look through the grips. They were nice enough to find two more and I used them on my early A2 stuff. And yes, there are shiny A2 grips, M4 and A2 handguards. Its all I use.
View Quote
That's just great. Something else I need now!

I have a retroish middy A2 in gray and now I absolutely MUST find a grip like that!

AND shiny mid length hand guards but I've bought a few pairs because they looked shiny in the picture but not so much when I opened the package.

That shiny just can't be replicated. I wish Colt made middys!
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:37:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just bought this one a few weeks ago in the EE.  Gave $7 for it. 20+ yr old Colt.
Had it 2 days and my pal weaseled it me out of it for his A2 build. First glossy Colt grip I've come across.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/416992/Screenshot_20180220-191906-458934.png
View Quote
Good find.  My issue rifle had a shiny grip, maybe that is where the happiness comes from.  Hope your friend enjoys it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:28:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe you.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top