Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2022 1:50:43 PM EDT
I was putting my ar together this weekend and ran into an issue with the delta ring/barrel nut assembly.  When torqued, the gas tube opening was at about the 5 o'clock position.  Obviously, I need to shim the barrel nut.  As I stated before I am using a delta ring and my research shows that there are shims for free float barrels, and some don't mention anything. Shim Kit  This kit from Brownells is the kit I was looking at since it has larger sizes which is likely needed for me as I am so far off.  My question is: will this work for my delta ring assembly?  Thanx.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:09:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Not quite understanding the 5 o'clock thing.
Every delta ring set up I've seen uses a barrel nut with gas tube clearance cuts all the way around the OD.
And the delta ring can spin around the nut, so it's cut-out can be positioned where it needs to be.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:16:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Worst case, your nut will only be off by 9°, and that can be fudged a little by how much you torque you put on the the nut when installing, as there is quite a range between minimum, and maximum.
(don't forget to grease the threads)
Or use those sims to fine tune.

Then just turn the delta ring to where it needs to go.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes OP, the linked shim kit will enable you to time the alignment of your standard/USGI style barrel nut.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:02:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Use a lapping kit first, you may not need shims, and you can get the surface trued up.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#5]
delete
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When torqued, the gas tube opening was at about the 5 o'clock position.  Obviously, I need to shim the barrel nut.  
View Quote

No, not obvisously.  How many foot-pounds did you torque the barrel nut to?  Did the gap between the teeth in the barrel nut align with the gas tube channel in the upper receiver?  You know that the delta-ring spins to align it after you've torqued the barrel nut, right?

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This will help to explain it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nO7qTeZmD0
View Quote

Curious why you said that one revolution is .062"? Not something you saw on a web site somewhere, was it? Try the math with the threading shown on the drawing.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Curious why you said that one revolution is .062"? Not something you saw on a web site somewhere, was it? Try the math with the threading shown on the drawing.
View Quote

.0555"
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You know that the delta-ring spins to align it after you've torqued the barrel nut, right?
View Quote

Evidently not, with the 5 o'clock statement.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Based on 16 Tooth per Inch thread on the receiver and barrel nut..
View Quote

I know how to do it. Try it with the drawing thread pitch. Hint. The upper and barrel nut are not the same threads per inch as the buffer tube number that may have been used somewhere. The drawing does not show 16 for the upper and nut.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I know how to do it. Try it with the drawing thread pitch. Hint. The upper and barrel nut are not the same threads per inch as the buffer tube number that may have been used somewhere. The drawing does not show 16 for the upper and nut.
View Quote

Its 18 TPI, I just wrote it down wrong. Thanks for pointing this out.

It still works out to about .00275" per tooth however. So the same shims still would work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Lube and season the nut by tightening and loosening, and you should be able to get alignment within the torque range without shims. It should not be an issue with a mil spec nut and in-spec upper, but make sure the rear face of the nut isn't contacting the receiver.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 9:49:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You know that the delta-ring spins to align it after you've torqued the barrel nut, right?

View Quote

Please say yes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/23/2022 3:09:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
When torqued, the gas tube opening was at about the 5 o'clock position.  Obviously, I need to shim the barrel nut.  
View Quote

Quoted:
No, not obvisously.  How many foot-pounds did you torque the barrel nut to?  Did the gap between the teeth in the barrel nut align with the gas tube channel in the upper receiver?  You know that the delta-ring spins to align it after you've torqued the barrel nut, right?
View Quote

OP, the barrel nut torque spec is a wide, generous range of 30-80 ft lbs. This is to ensure you can readily line up a gap in the teeth of the barrel nut. What Molon is talking about which I 100% agree with and suspect is the actual issue you THINK you have is the hole in the delta ring/weld spring, which can simply be rotated into position AFTER the barrel nut is torqued and aligned properly.

As long as your barrel nut is torqued somewhere in that 30-80 ft lb range, and the hole in the receiver is lined with one of the gaps in the teeth of the barrel nut, you are golden. Grab a pick/screwdriver/punch or whatever, and by hand align the hole in the delta ring and the gap in the weld spring with the barrel nut.

How to Install an AR-15 Barrel Presented by Larry Potterfield of MidwayUSA

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 12:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Yup, first reply, and several after it...
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top