Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2021 10:09:19 AM EDT
Cross posted in the Competition forum, not sure which forum would be the best to ask in.

I am currently using a Leupold VX-R Patrol scope on my service rifle but I'm not happy w/ it.

The turret detents are mushy, the knobs are too small, the crosshairs are too wide and it just doesn't seem bright enough (could be my 50 y/o eyes)

I looked at the Leupold service rifle scope, 1300.00 from liberty.  A nightforce is 1950.00.  

What are you using or what have you seen others using?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 10:15:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I've only shot NMC "Army Style" so I used an ACOG, but shot a 454-5X.  A TA01 may work for ya
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#2]
White Oak Armament - $850, in stock

Designed from the ground up with service rifle competitors in mind.

Link Posted: 5/1/2021 1:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I looked thru the scope at the range, reticle is too busy for me
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 2:13:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
TR24 or P4Xi then.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I have seen a handful of different scopes on the line that people seem to be happy with.

Vortex PST/Ranger 1-4 seems to be a somewhat popular scope at the lower end of the budget spectrum, but I can’t complain about my experience with it when I used one. Some people don’t like the 1/2 MOA clicks or the fact that the illumination isn’t daylight bright, but neither of those things affected my score. The segmented circle reticle really helps center on the black, even without illumination.

NF NXS 1-4 and the fixed SR 4.5 are also somewhat popular and towards the higher end of the budget spectrum. Once again, I can’t really say anything bad about my experiences with either of them. The SR isn’t illuminated, but the reticles are well designed and work well without it. Some people also like the ability to use a lower magnification, especially for the standing slow fire, which isn’t an option with the SR. The NXS is pretty similar to the SR, with the major differences being the variable magnification and illumination. It is also discontinued which means you would have to find it on the used market. I personally didn’t care for the capped turrets, but it doesn’t bother some people.

The Hi-Lux XTC 1-4 was purpose built to meet service rifle requirements. I have only seen one and don’t have any experience actually using it.

Athlon Helios BTR 1-4.5 is another purpose built optic for service rifle. I don’t have any experience with these either, but I know some shooters that are trying them out and seem to like them so far.

March Optics 1-4.5 is one that I have handled but never shot. The guy running it always spoke highly of it, and the couple of minutes I had it in my hands didn’t give me any reason to doubt him. I don’t think it is offered with an illuminated reticle though.

Leupold has a handful of offerings that I have handled, with the most common being the VXR that you have.

If I was looking for another scope right now, I would go with either the Vortex PST or the NF SR depending on my budget. The two most important things to me personally for a service rifle scope are tracking repeatability and the reticle. I have used both of them enough to be comfortable walking to the line with either. Ultimately, find the scope that has the features and reticle that you are looking for and don’t look back.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep, that it is, that it is.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Burris mtac 1-4
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:20:06 PM EDT
[#8]
"Ingus" on GunBroker has Leopold service rifle scopes in the low $1100's.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have a collapsible stock on your service rifle and only shoot reduced courses ACOG's LAW reticle works great.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:25:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Fixed stock service rifles work fine with irons and red dot sights for position shooting, they suck when using a scope. Being able to adjust your stock length at each position will allow you to achieve good eye relief when using a scope.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
"Ingus" on GunBroker has Leopold service rifle scopes in the low $1100's.
View Quote

Is he an authorized seller so that the warranty is valid?

ETA. Liberty Optics quoted me 1300 shipped
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are concentrating on the X-ring you won’t even see the rest of the reticle.

I shoot a NF SR1 but if I was just starting out today I’d look hard at the White Oak. It would be down to those 2.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Does anyone remember this post:

Posted: 9/14/2020 10:29:57 PM EDT
I just finished working on modifying the JTT 10 yard 50/200m zero target for 36/300 yards. I would like some feed back to improve it. If anyone is interested in helping me out please email me and I will send the pdf.

If anyone knows how to contact him, or has a copy of his pdf for a 36-yd zero at 10 yds I'd love to get my hands on it.  Pls email it to me at [email protected]
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Is he an authorized seller so that the warranty is valid?

ETA. Liberty Optics quoted me 1300 shipped
View Quote

Yes. Simply go to GunBroker and punch in ACOG and look for the cheapest prices. He almost always has the lowest prices on ACOG's. Once you find his vendor name click on "sellers other items" to access his entire inventory. That should take less time than searching for "Leupold".

A "Leupold Service Rifle" search in the optics may be the quickest search.....
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 1:36:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Leupold makes at least three reticles for their 1-4.5 Service Rifle scopes. Do a little research before hitting "buy".
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for WOA.

If you are LE or Mil, NF has better pricing.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top