Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2018 9:17:40 PM EDT
I have a friend that wants to sell me a Sendra Corp a1 lower that is purplish in hue

I am assuming these are all pre-ban?

Any thought regarding the same?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Most are preban
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Are the Rock Island marked ones the earlier or later ones more or less likely to be pre-ban?
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#3]
OK I fibbed a bit

My friend was GB

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/776608791

I honestly could not get past the thought that any pre-ban is certainly worth it and heck a retro lower and the cumulative parts are probably worth it.

I am taking a risk but I can't wait to get it, tear it down and see what retro goodness I just might find.

Not quite the ar-15 with the 602 upper but for 500. What the heck.
Link Posted: 6/21/2018 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OK I fibbed a bit

My friend was GB

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/776608791

I honestly could not get past the thought that any pre-ban is certainly worth it and heck a retro lower and the cumulative parts are probably worth it.

I am taking a risk but I can't wait to get it, tear it down and see what retro goodness I just might find.

Not quite the ar-15 with the 602 upper but for 500. What the heck.
View Quote
I'm confused. That auction is for the upper only.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:02:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm confused. That auction is for the upper only.
View Quote
It looks like the seller does not believe in comma's.  His description is ambiguous enough that you MIGHT have only been buying the upper (Used AR-15 A1 upper 20 inch heavy barrel approximately 300 rounds fired through it), but my guess is that he meant; "Used AR-15, A1 upper, 20 inch heavy barrel, approximately 300 rounds fired through it". Looking at his other auctions, he is not one for much verbiage, and it probably cost him on this auction.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 12:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
That is funny

I can see both readings. I will certainly verify but his check out required an FFL so I am not immediately going to a dark place just yet.

I will report back.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 4:06:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:54:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I emailed the seller the following:

"Good morning

Looks like I won this rifle.

Please verify this auction was for the complete rifle as pictured and not just the upper."

Let's just see what we get back.

From what you can see do you think more or less chance of being pre-ban?

Assuming it all works out like I was thinking, how would you build this out to get as much of a purple retro build as can be done?

What other manufacturers had parts that took on this hue?

I do already have a buffer tube and charging handle that would match.

A Barny Retro for one of my daughters maybe?
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#9]
If it's the whole rifle that's an amazing deal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 8:13:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Seller says complete rifle not just upper.

Ok we will roll with it and see what comes of it.

I will report back once reviewed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Seller says complete rifle not just upper.

Ok we will roll with it and see what comes of it.

I will report back once reviewed.
View Quote
holy smokes, that was a great deal!

nice find
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm still reeling from being lied to.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A Sendra will be pre-ban as I don’t think they were making lowers after the ban and the purple color is the result of the anodizing that was common in the early 90s.  Bushmaster used to have Purple guns too.  Honestly, do what you want but it might be nice as is.
View Quote
Sendra was out of business before the 90's,

we had a ton of them thru the shop back in the day,
most went together easily,

all are preban,

and that was a smoking deal,

last 2-3 I sold  were just complete lowers, and went for almost twice that to ban states,,

I have some scans from our old bound books before they were turned in (different FFL now)
shot me a pm or email  (or post here) the serial number and I'll see if it is close to what we had , I may be able to tell you a born on date, or get within a month or 3
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I will try to make it up to you.

Next time you are in the North Florida area, stop by for a beer with me and my new leetle frend.

If the deals sours still drop by for a beer.

I do not lie about beer.
Link Posted: 6/22/2018 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#16]
When I get it I will shoot the pics. I would love to get some info on it.

Thanks and everyone stop by for a beer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2018 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Sendra did make a few post ban receivers, if memory serves me, i believe the post ban ones had a circle around sendra name to tell it was not a pre ban. The info used to be available here on ar15.com
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 7:17:18 PM EDT
[#19]
I do not have the gun yet but it is in transit. Should have it by end of this next week.

Seller verified it was for the complete rifle as pictured.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#20]
UPS said I have a package waiting for me at my FFL.

Tomorrow will be boom or bust.

Lets keep hoping boom
Link Posted: 7/5/2018 8:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are the Rock Island marked ones the earlier or later ones more or less likely to be pre-ban?
View Quote
Earlier.
Link Posted: 7/6/2018 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Just got back from FFL

Up to his point I do not think I could be more pleased.

Here is the narrative. Pics will be inserted this weekend.

LOWER: fully correct A1 profile in much better condition (90% and real nicely machined) than GB pics depicted. Lower marked:

@ magwell

CAL 5.56 MM
XM 15 E2
SER. 085xx

@ Over FC area

SENDRA CORP
BARRINGTON, IL

SAFE

SEMI

No other marks, no milled circle, etc. Mis-match internal parts including a plastic mag button. The hammer and trigger appear to be colt. The handguard is ribbed for pleasure I guess and is the same as I have seen on some other older Sendra grips.

BUTTSTOCK: A2 with trap door and standard A2 buffer and spring. all in exc condition. Not sure how to tell if Colt or not but looks mil spec.

UPPER: PM marked 603 with large round FA button and late port door and matching dark gray charging handle all in exc. condition. The bolt carrier is unmarked chrome with serrations and the  rear of the carrier is ar15 cut but not for lightning link. The firing pin head is open like on a later SP1. The bolt is parked and marked MPC. The whole group is in great to ex condition.

BARRELL ASSEMBLY: It is 20" and very heavy contoured with unmarked forged FSB with ears being more A1 in profile than A2. The actually sight is an A1 not A2.  I have not been able to find any markings on the barrel. It is very heavy profile. The handguards look to be original older colt A2 and the delta ring appears to be some hard plastic.

Any info to be considered so far?

Thanks

n
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#23]
BTT
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Looks nice and you got one heck of a deal.  Congrats.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I’ve got that same pistol grip. Came on a PWA rifle I bought. Made by Choate I think.

Looks like a good score.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:22:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Never seen a rifle buffer that was black.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:56:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Never seen a rifle buffer that was black.
View Quote
I have seen quite a few over the years, things varied depending on the company.

You got a good buy on that one.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks nice, can you confirm there is forging flash all the way up the front of the mag well?  Can we see a picture of that part of the receiver?  (out in sunlight if possible)  Someone else mentioned the black buffer, when you shake it does it sound like it has the normal weights in it or is it filled with shot?

Quoted:
Just got back from FFL

Up to his point I do not think I could be more pleased.

Here is the narrative. Pics will be inserted this weekend.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%201_zpseaqhjpfh.jpg

LOWER: fully correct A1 profile in much better condition (90% and real nicely machined) than GB pics depicted. Lower marked:

@ magwell

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%205_zpsskznmgkg.jpg

CAL 5.56 MM
XM 15 E2
SER. 085xx

@ Over FC area

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%203_zps8jzj0sth.jpg

SENDRA CORP
BARRINGTON, IL

SAFE

SEMI

No other marks, no milled circle, etc. Mis-match internal parts including a plastic mag button. The hammer and trigger appear to be colt. The handguard is ribbed for pleasure I guess and is the same as I have seen on some other older Sendra grips.

BUTTSTOCK: A2 with trap door and standard A2 buffer and spring. all in exc condition. Not sure how to tell if Colt or not but looks mil spec.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%206_zpsxpfpk0yx.jpg

UPPER: PM marked 603 with large round FA button and late port door and matching dark gray charging handle all in exc. condition. The bolt carrier is unmarked chrome with serrations and the  rear of the carrier is ar15 cut but not for lightning link. The firing pin head is open like on a later SP1. The bolt is parked and marked MPC. The whole group is in great to ex condition.

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%209_zpss5uayesq.jpg

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%2011_zpsjoavolyw.jpg

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%2012_zps5t5jpaqa.jpg

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%2013_zpsyjzgdzbf.jpg

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%2015_zpsyczjw8sr.jpg

http://i1310.photobucket.com/albums/s659/Travisintally/Retro%20Colt/Sendra%20A1%2014_zpsfmgczukv.jpg

BARRELL ASSEMBLY: It is 20" and very heavy contoured with unmarked forged FSB with ears being more A1 in profile than A2. The actually sight is an A1 not A2.  I have not been able to find any markings on the barrel. It is very heavy profile. The handguards look to be original older colt A2 and the delta ring appears to be some hard plastic.

Any info to be considered so far?

Thanks

n
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:03:31 AM EDT
[#29]
The forging flash ends between the ears. It was removed using a side mill as opposed to an end mill.

The buffer has a weight not shot.

Why on both questions?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Hello.  Forging flash is usually removed from the front, I don't think I've ever noticed that much left behind.  I had a purple carbine buffer with shot in it and I think I still own a black rifle buffer with shot in it.

Quoted:
The forging flash ends between the ears. It was removed using a side mill as opposed to an end mill.

The buffer has a weight not shot.

Why on both questions?

Thanks
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I re-read my reply. The flashing does not go up between the ears it ends about 3/8" below the bottom of the ears.

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks for the pics, OP.  Beautiful rifle, great deal.  Folks in Massachusetts want that lower.  Maryland wants the bbl.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 12:56:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hello.  Forging flash is usually removed from the front, I don't think I've ever noticed that much left behind.  I had a purple carbine buffer with shot in it and I think I still own a black rifle buffer with shot in it.
View Quote
shot or bb's or whatever it was , was common on some aftermarket carbine buffers back in the day,  even plastic molded buffers with shot inside were around

OP, I'll try to remember to look at the pics I have of our old bound book tonight or in the morning, I am almost certain we had some Sendra's in the 8K serial range thru the shop,

it will at least give you an idea when they were shipped (or close enough maybe)  if it matters
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks

That would be interesting info. Look forward to it.
Link Posted: 7/12/2018 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#35]
here is what I have

we ordered roughly a dozen as needed (not just from sendra, some SGW and assorted others)

I do not have pics of any with that high a serial number (pics of the bound book entry)

I do have 07347 in a group (none consecutive but close) received on 5 sep 86

for a reference on numbers built or available,,  here are some other numbers,

05136, received 6 march 86
04972, received 9 jan 86
02581 5 june 85
02332 5 april 84,

keep in mind this is just the dates we received them, no idea of any body that may have production number (actual) for Sendra

I snapped the pics on a whim when the ATF was on the way over to pic up the bound books and 4473's when I closed the business down after my father passed (he was a sole proprietor, so could not transfer the shop into my name ,, story for another day)

I know there were more, I just probably missed them as I scrolled thru the pages ,

anyway, that will hopefully give someone a reference on dates, and if I was to guess on yours to be late fall of 86

keep in mind, I have no idea when Sendra closed shop,

hope this helps
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 6:02:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Many thanks

In the mid 80s when attending Auburn University,  I fell under the bad influence of a gun store in Opelika, AL named Story's . They had lots of pre-ban black rifles back then. This Sendra brings me back to memories of that time and how adventurous it felt to be playing with such "exotic" weaponry. That was the start of my EBR addiction with a side case of the Retro disease.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 7/13/2018 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#37]
I remember Story's.  I spent a lot of time there too from 79-82 when I was working on my Masters Degree.  I lived in the house in Opelika next to Walt's Seafood.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 8:35:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I went to school with lots of gun nuts. good times. What was your degree? I started out in Civil Engineering and Graduated in Building Science.

War Eagle

BTW I am old enough to be considered retro so I got the obligatory retro reference in.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top