Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2018 5:11:16 PM EDT
Been looking at options for SD ammo for my 8" blackout. It seems that the Barnes VOR-TX 110gr TAC-TX is still king, but are there other similar options out there? (needs to be factory, I dont load)

I currently have a stash of the Barnes I bought for hog hunting with my 10" 300, so I could use those for SD ammo, and use something else for the hog hunts.

What are your thoughts on the following?

Hornady Black 110gr V-Max
Fiocchi 125gr 300-Spec SST
Others?

I will eventually have a can on it, but I am not interested in subs at this point and will just use the can on the supers
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:21:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I run 208gr AMax subs. Keep a can on my 7.5 in 300blk SBR. It's a very CQB gun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
The Barnes 110 grain TSX is still the go to.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:19:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Barnes 110 grain TSX is still the go to.
View Quote
Thats what I thought, but still wanted to look for other ideas just in case
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Check out Lehigh Defense.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Thats what I thought, but still wanted to look for other ideas just in case
View Quote
I guess it depends on your budget. Personally, I cannot afford the exotic all copper loads. I need to zero at various ranges with the ammo and have a few hundred rounds set aside and that's $$$.

I am using the Fiocchi 125 SST as my SD load. But I've only shot 25 rounds to test out. Was 100% but will need a few more range sessions to confirm. I could never afford to do this with $1+ per round ammo.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I guess it depends on your budget. Personally, I cannot afford the exotic all copper loads. I need to zero at various ranges with the ammo and have a few hundred rounds set aside and that's $$$.

I am using the Fiocchi 125 SST as my SD load. But I've only shot 25 rounds to test out. Was 100% but will need a few more range sessions to confirm. I could never afford to do this with $1+ per round ammo.
View Quote
Same boat here. This thread is great, I am also looking for SD ammo for my 10.5 un-suppressed 300blk

Was looking at this as well:

https://www.midamericamunitions.com/300-AAC-Blackout-110gr-BTFB-Varmageddon.html
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yea, same here with budget, but since its not blasting ammo, I can justify the extra cost given its purpose.

How did the SSTs group? Theres some really good pricing on them and some good reviews, which caught my eye. And my range ammo is 123gr, so its closer to the weight than the Barnes
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:16:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I tried some of these recently, they are impressive. The 190 grain bullets thumped the steel very convincingly!

Hornady expanding subs
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 1:03:04 PM EDT
[#9]
-Lehigh 115g Control Chaos.
-110g vmax. Either nosler or hornady.
-125g sst should work well at close range with an 8".

ETA: If youre going to use subs, I'd go with the lehigh 194g Max Expansions. Expensive, but opens up a lot more than the 190G Hornady in my back yard testing.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:30:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yea, same here with budget, but since its not blasting ammo, I can justify the extra cost given its purpose.

How did the SSTs group? Theres some really good pricing on them and some good reviews, which caught my eye. And my range ammo is 123gr, so its closer to the weight than the Barnes
View Quote
The Fiocchi 125 SST gave me the best groups of the ammo I have tried so far. Best 5 shot, 100 yard group was 1.75" out of my 10.5 pistol. But that's with my 1.5X mini ACOG and my eyes were about popping out. I believe it is a consistent sub 2MOA load.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I run 208gr AMax subs. Keep a can on my 7.5 in 300blk SBR. It's a very CQB gun.
View Quote
What do you think about the comparision between 300blk subs and 45 auto?

Personally, I'm okay with louder so I can get the energy potential from the supers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I would like to know as well.

I had malfunctions with hornady subsonic. The ones with the plastic red tips. I run an 8.5” supresssed. It feeds everything but when using those rounds the red tips would break off when trying to feed and cause a malfunction. I put 100 rds of it through and started seeing jams at round 50 ish. Would happen every three or so rounds. The red plastic tip would keep breaking off.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I would like to know as well.

I had malfunctions with hornady subsonic. The ones with the plastic red tips. I run an 8.5” supresssed. It feeds everything but when using those rounds the red tips would break off when trying to feed and cause a malfunction. I put 100 rds of it through and started seeing jams at round 50 ish. Would happen every three or so rounds. The red plastic tip would keep breaking off.
View Quote
That's weird. I've heard of that happening before with ballistic tip ammo before, but the plastic tips in the Hornady subs barely protrude much past the end of the bullet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 11:57:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That's weird. I've heard of that happening before with ballistic tip ammo before, but the plastic tips in the Hornady subs barely protrude much past the end of the bullet.
View Quote
It was their new X-sub stuff. It was after the gun was hot and started shooting fast/ double taps. Gonna try it again.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I have mine loaded with Winchester 150 grain DeerXP. Got a good deal on a couple of cases.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I tried some of these recently, they are impressive. The 190 grain bullets thumped the steel very convincingly!

Hornady expanding subs
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The Fiocchi 125 SST gave me the best groups of the ammo I have tried so far. Best 5 shot, 100 yard group was 1.75" out of my 10.5 pistol. But that's with my 1.5X mini ACOG and my eyes were about popping out. I believe it is a consistent sub 2MOA load.
View Quote
The SST round out of my 9inch pistol was 1 shot terminal at 90 yards on a 165lb whitetail. I see no reason why it wouldn't be nasty is a SD situation as well. It is also very accurate.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The SST round out of my 9inch pistol was 1 shot terminal at 90 yards on a 165lb whitetail. I see no reason why it wouldn't be nasty is a SD situation as well. It is also very accurate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@sgwlower

Was it the Fiocchi or did you load your own?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:08:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Check out Lehigh Defense.

https://www.lehighdefense.com/
View Quote
I'm normally very critical of Lehigh, but the 110gr Controlled Chaos is actually okay.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably the best bang for buck in regard to terminal performance vs cost is the Remington 120gr OTFB. At Walmart for about $16 per box.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:37:13 PM EDT
[#22]
@Bluefalcon

After all of the testing that you've done, I'm curious as to what exactly is your HD bedside gun and what is it loaded with?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:46:52 PM EDT
[#23]
11.5" suppressed  AR loaded with 50gr TSX.

But from a terminal performance perspective, almost any expanding and/or fragmenting load in 5.56mm, .223 Rem, 7.62x35mm, 7.62x39mm, etc. is just fine so long as it penetrates adequately and has a short neck.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 5:55:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@sgwlower

View Quote
Fiocchi!
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:39:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Probably the best bang for buck in regard to terminal performance vs cost is the Remington 120gr OTFB. At Walmart for about $16 per box.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm normally very critical of Lehigh, but the 110gr Controlled Chaos is actually okay.
Thanks for the feedback! Ive seen a lot of your threads/posts, so the input is very appreciated
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fiocchi!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@sgwlower

Fiocchi!
Great, thanks! Im going to order some from SG.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
11.5" suppressed  AR loaded with 50gr TSX.

But from a terminal performance perspective, almost any expanding and/or fragmenting load in 5.56mm, .223 Rem, 7.62x35mm, 7.62x39mm, etc. is just fine so long as it penetrates adequately and has a short neck.
View Quote
@bluefalcon

video review of the 50gr tsx from an sbr any time soon?

or does it already exist and i missed it?
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Check this.
https://beckammunition.com/300-blackout-110gr-lehigh-controlled-chaos.html

Been my hunting ammo for a year, after deer and pigs I have no doubt of how it would work in other uses.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@bluefalcon

View Quote
I just brewed up a batch of 45 tsx over tac that hit 3200 from my 12.5 with can.  I need to buy some gel...
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 9:03:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Yup.

Not a fan of subs in a rifle. I have plenty of pistols, and while handy, if I have hands on a rifle I want the power of a rifle.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:18:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

@bluefalcon

View Quote
Actually yes. It is coming and I did it already.

That is, I tested the regular 50gr TSX from 11.5" on my own channel a while back. I recently tested the Black Hills optimized 50gr TSX from 10.5" and will publish soon.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 11:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Actually yes. It is coming and I did it already.

That is, I tested the regular 50gr TSX from 11.5" on my own channel a while back. I recently tested the Black Hills optimized 50gr TSX from 10.5" and will publish soon.
View Quote
awesome, 10.5/10.3 black hills TSX is exactly what i wanted to see. thinking about getting some for my sbr.
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 12:03:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Lehigh CQB
Link Posted: 9/29/2018 7:39:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lehigh CQB
View Quote
Great round, love it!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top