Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2020 11:55:21 PM EDT
Recently I discovered a company in my home town that makes guitar straps from re-purposed seat belt material.  This had me thinking about the durability of seat belt straps, and was curious as to what other Arfcom members' opinions on using seat belt material to make a sling?  I imagine it shouldn't be hard to source enough length to make a sling from a car salvage yard for a decent price.  it could be dyed black, and I'm guessing there's hardware that could be adapted to work with the belt's width.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I made one quite a while back.  At the time, the Israelis seemed to be using a similar one.  Mine is already black.  I bet it is in my web gear junk bag.

If interested, I will take a look.

These are wide and comfortable.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 1:41:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Recently I discovered a company in my home town that makes guitar straps from re-purposed seat belt material.  This had me thinking about the durability of seat belt straps, and was curious as to what other Arfcom members' opinions on using seat belt material to make a sling?  I imagine it shouldn't be hard to source enough length to make a sling from a car salvage yard for a decent price.  it could be dyed black, and I'm guessing there's hardware that could be adapted to work with the belt's width.
View Quote

I wouldn’t.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
It's just nylon.  Total overkill in that width for a rifle sling.  Just get a nylon GI websling for $15.  Same material.  1.25" wide.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 8:02:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 30 yard roll of it off Amazon for like $8.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you everyone for your input.  I have liked having wider slings and straps for comfort, and while looking for swivels and hardware, I also noticed it is an easy to source material.   I have also noticed 1 1/2 inch is the widest sling swivels, so I'll have to see how well a 2" belt would comprerss to fit.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:48:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I was damn glad I had a decently wide strap on my A4 on Rally Day at Richmond.
Link Posted: 9/16/2020 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I have tons of rolls of that seat belts nylon at work..
Can’t remember the width but finding the correct hardware may be a challenge.. or maybe not?

Link Posted: 9/17/2020 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have tons of rolls of that seat belts nylon at work..
Can’t remember the width but finding the correct hardware may be a challenge.. or maybe not?

View Quote

2 inches is standard.  Strapworks carries hardware of various sizes
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 1:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Dive shop I used back in the 80s (before my ears went bad and I stopped diving) had rolls of it in several widths for making all sorts of custom straps.

Worth calling around to find out about.

You could also not worry about squeezing down the ends and just fold over, stitch down, and add a grommet or similar to provide a spot for something else to attach.
Link Posted: 9/20/2020 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
If you want one pre-made Seat Belt Strap Sling
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 1:53:29 AM EDT
[#11]
In the watch world, “seat-belt” NATO style nylon straps are the creme-de-le-creme of nylon.
Link Posted: 9/21/2020 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want one pre-made Seat Belt Strap Sling
View Quote

Looks decent.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I've made 3 slings out of seatbelts strap, they're 2pt quick adjust, and I love 'em.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 5:41:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 2 Israeli slings that are that wide.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top