Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2018 3:23:38 PM EDT
I have a Steiner P4xi and i love the center dot illumination.  I am building a couple of more rifles and have been looking for different scopes to try.  I have astigmatism but have found that LPVO work great for me.

So far the only 1-x scopes that have super bright illumination similar to red dots that i can find are:

Steiner P,T,M models
Vortex  PST II and Razor HD II
Kahles
SWAROVSKI
Nightforce NX8 and Atacr
Burris XTR II (donut and dot)
Leupold Fire dot (almost)
Us Optics Sr4c Sr8c svs1-6
Schmidt and Bender
Weaver 1-7 (maybe)

Some of these are way out of my price range for now.  Is there any others that I am missing?
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Elcan SpecterDR

Vortex Razor HDII-E 1-6

Meopta ZD 1-4
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Primary Arms 1-8x Platinum
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 10:45:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Zeiss Conquest V6 1-6x24
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like the only budget options are the Steiner p4xi, Burris xtr  II 1-5 and vortex pst 2
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:47:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like the only budget options are the Steiner p4xi, Burris xtr  II 1-5 and vortex pst 2
View Quote
The Steiner P4xi is the best 1-4 scope under $1000 in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Are you thinking of nuclear summer sun bright or daytime visible?

The only scopes that are summer sun bright out here in the arizona sun I've personally seen are the dual focal plane US optics, Elcans, and Schmidt Bender shortdots.
Granted I haven't looked through every scope in the market.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Are you thinking of nuclear summer sun bright or daytime visible?

The only scopes that are summer sun bright out here in the arizona sun I've personally seen are the dual focal plane US optics, Elcans, and Schmidt Bender shortdots.
Granted I haven't looked through every scope in the market.
View Quote
I live in Arizona and my Steiner p4xi is super bright even with the blazing sun. I was looking to try something else for my other rifles. Vortex razor is also nuclear.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 1:02:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a Steiner P4xi and i love the center dot illumination.  I am building a couple of more rifles and have been looking for different scopes to try.  I have astigmatism but have found that LPVO work great for me.

So far the only 1-x scopes that have super bright illumination similar to red dots that i can find are:

Steiner P,T,M models
Vortex  PST II and Razor HD II
Kahles
SWAROVSKI
Nightforce NX8 and Atacr
Burris XTR II (donut and dot)
Leupold Fire dot (almost)
Us Optics Sr4c Sr8c svs1-6
Schmidt and Bender
Weaver 1-7 (maybe)

Some of these are way out of my price range for now.  Is there any others that I am missing?
View Quote
Just got a PA 1-6 x 'Griffin-Mil' that is comparable in brightness, to my p4Xi.

I was looking through both of them this AM against a white vinyl sided house with the sun reflecting directly off of it.

It almost seemed brighter, however the entire reticle of the Griffin-Mil illuminates vs. just the center dot of the P4Xi, so that may have something to do with it
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
As an alternative to a LPV, you could do a fixed x10 scope with an offset reddot.
It'd probably come out cheaper and lighter than an equivalent quality 1-8.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As an alternative to a LPV, you could do a fixed x10 scope with an offset reddot.
It'd probably come out cheaper and lighter than an equivalent quality 1-8.
View Quote
I wish i could use red dots but i have astigmatism bad.  I see see 2 blurry snow flakes that move around as i squint.  For up close i can live with it but anything past 25 yards is sketchy.  I like the idea but i also like having an etched reticle with a diopter.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:17:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
All of the optics mentioned here are great options. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions! - Erik ([email protected])
View Quote
Got any pics.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wish i could use red dots but i have astigmatism bad.  I see see 2 blurry snow flakes that move around as i squint.  For up close i can live with it but anything past 25 yards is sketchy.  I like the idea but i also like having an etched reticle with a diopter.
View Quote
Sounds like pretty bad astigmatism.
Have you considered getting glasses, contacts, or laser eye surgery?

Putting your money there instead of a new scope will increase your performance all around the board both at the range and in your daily life.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:29:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds like pretty bad astigmatism.
Have you considered getting glasses, contacts, or laser eye surgery?

Putting your money there instead of a new scope will increase your performance all around the board both at the range and in your daily life.
View Quote
I have tried glasses but i had an eye injury (corneal erosion) that contributes to it.  My left eye with glasses is fine but my right not so much.  With lpvo i dont have any problems.
Link Posted: 4/26/2018 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Mrgunsandgear just put up s review on the new Primary arms ffp 1-6 and said it was very bright
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 11:20:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 11:20:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Leupold Firedot is not almost daylight bright.  It is intensely daylight bright.  At least it is so on my VX-R Patrol.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Good to know
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#19]
My viper pst and nf shv is extremely bright, im also in AZ
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:44:36 PM EDT
[#20]
When it comes down to it, this is a really subjective topic.
Quite a few scopes have daylight visible reticles, depending on how you define it. Even saying something as 'visible in bright sunlight' is still variable, depending on what you're using as the backdrop

But if you are interested in a reticle that's as bright as an aimpoint reddot, you're going to need reddot tech, aka a beam splitter reticle.
I don't think beam splitter reticle LPVs are particularly widespread yet, but manufacturers are definitely catching on I think.

That said, if you're really interested in a particular scope it's almost always best to check one out in person before you buy it, to make sure it actually meets up to your expectations.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:53:18 AM EDT
[#21]
If you want 'nuclear' grade brightness, only one IMO - Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 with red or amber triangle-tipped post reticle, lit by fiber optic.  The brighter the sun, the brighter it gets.  Yes, this reticle has it limitations but still very useful for an old design.  No problems hitting what I aimed at 400 yds using a 250 yds zero.  At 1x and fiber optic window opened, it is an RDS!  At 4x and fiber optic window closed, the black (unlit) sharp tip/point is better for precision aiming than a 3 moa dot.  Another plus - It never needs batteries

https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-accu-point-1-4x24-riflescope.html
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you want 'nuclear' grade brightness, only one IMO - Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 with red or amber triangle-tipped post reticle, lit by fiber optic.  The brighter the sun, the brighter it gets.  Yes, this reticle has it limitations but still very useful for an old design.  No problems hitting what I aimed at 400 yds using a 250 yds zero.  At 1x and fiber optic window opened, it is an RDS!  At 4x and fiber optic window closed, the black (unlit) sharp tip/point is better for precision aiming than a 3 moa dot.  Another plus - It never needs batteries

https://www.trijicon.com/images/product_reticles/TR25-C-200090_reticle_popup.jpg

https://www.trijicon.com/images/product_additionals/TR24_135.jpg

https://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-accu-point-1-4x24-riflescope.html
View Quote
So, it's not "nuclear bright" if you're under the shade of a tree?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top